Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
murphymarrk

Black River Wild Forest

I'm interested in doing a backpack North of Nobleboro.Has anyone expierence in there and opinions.I might end over at Bear Creek Road at a friends camp.Over near Chub Pond and Gull Lake area I'm familiar with.it looks like it could be a preaty cool trip in there.thanks for any thoughts,Mark
murphymarrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I spend quite a bit of time in that area. Leantos are in great shape!

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
Wldrns

Northwest of Nobleboro you will eventually run into Black River and unless you want to swim you will have to cross at Reeds Pond bridge or at North Lake dam. It is some wild country with plenty of swamps, many not so well depicted on the map. Without long sight distances it's a great area to advance your terrain observation navigation skills along with map and compass. I like to go there just for that experience.

There are several trails, many unmarked on your map, and a quite a few logging skidder trails through the area. There are ATVs, both legal and not, along with the obvious wallow holes they cause.

On the other hand, you can find beautiful lakes and isolation in there where you want to go. Here is a photo of one of my favorites of the bunch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reflections.jpg (102.1 KB, 223 views)
Old 03-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
murphymarrk

Sounds good.Ill probably wait till Fall to explore that area.I wanna check out Ice Cave Mt also.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
murphymarrk

Nice picture.Thanks.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymarrk View Post
I wanna check out Ice Cave Mt also.
Which unfortunately has been trashed by vandals who decided that their names in big bold white spray paint lettering was more important than the natural rock face.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
murphymarrk

Now there famous for being a#%holes.A remote swamp hopefully lacks any of thier visits.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Limekiln

I've hunted the area a bunch. As these guys say there is a lot of water. Lots of un-named streams and beaver swales. Some of the swales are huge with no way to cross unless you find a beaver dam.

If you are off the trails don't fully rely on a map or GPS because there may be water blocking the way you want to go.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiln View Post
I've hunted the area a bunch. As these guys say there is a lot of water. Lots of un-named streams and beaver swales. Some of the swales are huge with no way to cross unless you find a beaver dam.

If you are off the trails don't fully rely on a map or GPS because there may be water blocking the way you want to go.
Which is exactly why it is such a fantastic area to develop and prove your skills at navigation by terrain observation, requiring more than a bit of brain power and intuition to put all the clues together. The Pepperbox is similar in that respect, another of my favorite haunts.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Which unfortunately has been trashed by vandals who decided that their names in big bold white spray paint lettering was more important than the natural rock face.
Really? I was just there in August and don't remember seeing that. I did notice that the can with notebook is long gone though.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
fisher39

Quote:
Which is exactly why it is such a fantastic area to develop and prove your skills at navigation by terrain observation, requiring more than a bit of brain power and intuition to put all the clues together. The Pepperbox is similar in that respect, another of my favorite haunts.
Sounds like the type of place I'd want to make sure I've got extra batteries for my GPS!
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Really? I was just there in August and don't remember seeing that. I did notice that the can with notebook is long gone though.
Two years ago there was white spray paint "ICM" in big letters on what I'll call the "guide rock" where you would leave the main trail, and then on several trees, rocks, and even bare ground on the otherwise unmarked trail up to the top. At the ice cave, huge lettering was on the rock wall where it could not be effectively reached to remove it.

If it is not visible anymore I would be very surprised. Maybe they used cheap paint.

The ranger told me he was very sure who did it, but could not prove it (even though first names were written in paint), so that was the end of it without further proof.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #13
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher39 View Post
Sounds like the type of place I'd want to make sure I've got extra batteries for my GPS!
Oh Boo. Go without to better learn the skill and to really enjoy your external surroundings. As Limekiln eluded to, you actually have to externally observe and think for yourself in such areas regardless of what the little box tells you.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Two years ago there was white spray paint "ICM" in big letters on what I'll call the "guide rock" where you would leave the main trail, and then on several trees, rocks, and even bare ground on the otherwise unmarked trail up to the top. At the ice cave, huge lettering was on the rock wall where it could not be effectively reached to remove it.

If it is not visible anymore I would be very surprised. Maybe they used cheap paint.

The ranger told me he was very sure who did it, but could not prove it (even though first names were written in paint), so that was the end of it without further proof.
Well, I was distracted by trying to keep my kids from taking a fall so maybe I missed it. I did go down in the SW entrance for but all I remember was alot of moss on the walls. Eco-friendly vandals?? It boggles the mind that some tool would drive all that way and then hike an unmarked wilderness trail up a mountain with no view just to spray graffiti. I expect to see such behavior on places like Bald Mt. but not there.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
murphymarrk

I was allready thinking of how to remove the paint if I was to go there.Well if it's no longer there,Julie and Joe should adventure into a local bars bathroom instead.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #16
murphymarrk

I'm gonna be in this forest from
the 23rd to the 7th of May.Two weeks of food oh boy!I'm not out to kill miles ,but to fish.I'm excited about this trip because I haven't fished since I was a kid.After so many trips,this is just what I needed.I'm excited.....Anyone have a....well could I have your third favorite fishing hole.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #17
geogymn

Quote:
I'm gonna be in this forest from
the 23rd to the 7th of May.Two weeks of food oh boy!I'm not out to kill miles ,but to fish.I'm excited about this trip because I haven't fished since I was a kid.After so many trips,this is just what I needed.I'm excited.....Anyone have a....well could I have your third favorite fishing hole.
I would be interested to read a report of that trip.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:20 AM   #18
murphymarrk

Geogym,I'll be out tomarrow for 2 weeks.I am gonna leave a bear can w 5 days food and 8 beers near the trailhead.I'll probably head no furthur East than little woodhole lake,maybe little salmon.ill go back to Gull Lake to run back to trailhead to resupply,head to South side Chub,explore.....back to my friends camp ....crap...home.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #19
geogymn

Quote:
Geogym,I'll be out tomarrow for 2 weeks.I am gonna leave a bear can w 5 days food and 8 beers near the trailhead.I'll probably head no furthur East than little woodhole lake,maybe little salmon.ill go back to Gull Lake to run back to trailhead to resupply,head to South side Chub,explore.....back to my friends camp ....crap...home.
Happy trails, What a wicked morning to start a journey! May the inclement weather provide you a richer adventure. Hopefully the rain will energize the fish. I imagine your aim is to target some lean-tos, it would be a challenge to set up camp in this soup. Best of luck to you and again happy trails!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #20
murphymarrk

Thanks,yeah lean-tos here I come!