Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
h2obusgirl
Malissa

Old Forge NY Camping ideas

Hello everyone! I just found your forum and am excited as I have begun doing some research for our summer vacation. We (my husband, 8 yr old daughter and 7 yr old son) will be headed to the moe.down festival in Turin this August. We have taken off the week and will be heading up to the dak's in our trusty VW Van for about 3 nights. I'm trying to figure out where to camp and what we can do and am trying to keep all of our interests in mind. I've decided that Old Forge is a reasonable distance to Turin (as we will make the trek there the day before the festival starts and I have a room booked near by for that night (hey, I love living in the van, but I need a real bed for a night before I head off to festival land for 3 more nights!) That said, we will be packing all we need to survive, including our sun shower and chemical toilet. These items are indespensible at a music fest! hahaha I am open to rustic camping, however, we need to be able to get the van in and out of said camp spot. Also, we would like it to be safe that if we do drive away during the day, we don't have to pack up all of our kitchen gear, etc. I have found the website for Old Forge Camping Resort and that one is awfully tempting. Yes, it's commercial and resorty, but I do have 2 kids to entertain and I know they would have a blast at the water park and I would not have to drive anywhere to get there with their shuttle. Being a whitewater enthusiast, however, I would love to get on the Moose. I will not be bringing boats with us as we do not want anything that can get stolen at the festy, so that is a bummer. I was thinking about renting yaks or doing the family raft trip down the Moose. My kids are young, but they have their own sit on tops and we do spend time on lakes and slow moving water. They are also great swimmers, so I have no concerns in Class I/II on a raft. I'm not sure I want them in Class III, however. I haven't found many reviews on the family float raft trips, but I find conflicting reports on the class of that trip. Anyone who has done that trip, advice would be great! It's with ARO. We will be there 2nd week of August. One other thing....I love loons and would love to stay somewhere I can hear them calling in the night! <3 Thanks for any advice, suggestions, etc!

Malissa
NE PA
VW Campaholic.
h2obusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Perhaps Nick's Lake State Campground?
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24485.html

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
madmike

Paddling near Old Forge

I have canoes (some WW kayak gear) and 2 commercial rafts (PFDs helmets etc.) I can take your family out on the Moose, if water levels are good. (not real common in mid summer.) Mike. handcutdovetail@gmail.com
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
h2obusgirl
Malissa

Nick's Lake sounds lovely and a good choice for us. Thanks for the river offer....we will keep that in mind. We all have helmets/pfds/wetsuits so gear-wise, we have what we need and can bring it, just don't want to haul the boats/paddles since we'll have nowhere safe to keep when we are at the festival. Plus we don't want the van to blow up from hauling that stuff for a 8 hr trip!

Malissa
NE PA
VW Campaholic.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
h2obusgirl
Malissa

Wow...checked availability at Nicks Lake and wow...prime sites go fast! I put us in for 2 nights, figuring we won't get up there in one day. (we will be camping locally the weekend before, coming home Sunday to unload/reload and hoping to leave Monday am....so we figure if we don't make it the whole way we can stop somewhere else and campover.) Weird reserving campsites in the middle of winter...August seems like years away!

Malissa
NE PA
VW Campaholic.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Hi Malissa,
Welcome to Adkforum.
I go to moe.down every year...been to all of them except moe.down 12.
Always a great time!
If you're interested, there's a thread on it Here with photos from past moe.downs.
Hope to see you there next year.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
richard p

Old Forge

Hi. Our first journey into the Daks was Old Forge. I remember a canoe trip down the Moose, putting the canoe on the train and taking the train back. It was a blast for the kids and they were great. They even gave us a pad for the dog. I beleive the outfitter was Tickner's. Enjoy.
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Tiredlegs

My choice for hearing Loons would be Limekiln Lake State Campground. It's about 10 miles north of Old Forge in Inlet, so maybe this would be an option.

Dave
Tiredlegs is offline   Reply With Quote