Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Buckshot

dead lakes

I am backpacking into west canada lakes next week. I will bring my fishing gear in hopes the lakes and ponds will not be frozen over still. Can anyone tell me there experience with the following as to whether they are dead or not?

Cedar Lakes
Beaver Pond
Pillsbury Lake
Mud Lake
West Lake
South Lake
Spruce Lake
Brooktrout lake
Whitney Lake

I heard West and South Lakes are dead...what say you?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Limekiln

Bring an ice auger and snowshoes...

Looking at this weeks weather it doesn't look like you are going to find any open water, other than streams and rivers. Snow depth will be variable, but you will suffer without snowshoes.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphi...now_depth.html
Old 04-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
paddlewheel
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiln View Post
Bring an ice auger and snowshoes...

Looking at this weeks weather it doesn't look like you are going to find any open water, other than streams and rivers. Snow depth will be variable, but you will suffer without snowshoes.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphi...now_depth.html
I think that's something that a lot of folks don't realize about this year is that ice out in many spots is slow coming about Especially w/ the West Canada Lakes Region -Cedar Lakes.....they have got a ton of snow this year & due to their higher elevation than alot of other areas & continuing very cold nights they are not thawing out as quick as you might have been used to before....I reckon it'll be the first or 2nd week of May before you can get up that way, find driving in a 4x4 reassonable & coming close to finding any open water...other than the rivers & streams........

Last I heard, Brook Trout Lake is dead....some ponds & lakes have been reclaimed but it ain't what it used to be......
paddlewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Buckshot

Awesome link. I was relying on DEC reports saying 12-24 inches, but it was nothing as accurate as that link. Technology is crazy. Is there anything we can't figure out without 100% accuracy in a matter of seconds anymore?

I really don't want to bring in my auger (7 pounds). I think I'll stick to moving water, which there seems to be a plethora.

So back to the original question...dead lakes? anyone know anything about them?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Limekiln

South Lake isn't dead.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
paddlewheel
**BANNED**

This area, with the exception of some high peaks lakes & ponds was probably one the hardest hit with the acid rain deal of the 80' - 90's...there has been some recovery but I imagine mostly what you'll catch are some recent stockies...when you get the chance to get out there..I'm sure there's still some good spots but you probably have to really know where to find them and work them hard...

I remember hiking some of these places in their transition stages when they were ph treating them...

alot of these ponds were translucent & aquamarine in appearance & there was absolutely zero wildlife around them...it was really spooky....I'm glad to see alot of these special places are on the road to recovery...
paddlewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I've also heard that Brooktrout is dead.

I don't fish, but in the numerous overnights I've done back there, I saw the most and the biggest brooktrout come out of Spruce Lake.

I would occasionally see people catch trout at Cedar Lakes. I don't think I ever saw anyone have any luck with Pillsbury, Sampson, Mud, West, South, or Whitney Lakes.
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
geogymn

Check out this link:

http://www.adirondacklakessurvey.org/choicepage.php
Old 04-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
colden46

Just curious, but how do you plan on getting there? Perkins Clearing and Moose River Plains Roads won't be open for weeks, Cedar River Rd will still be closed well before Wakely Dam... only reasonable way in right now is from Piseco along the NPT, so be prepared for a long walk (15+ miles each way) to reach the West Canadas proper.
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
ADKHUNTER

I read some time back that Brooktrout Lake had come back on its own and the DEC was actually contemplating starting a restocking . I'm going to try and dig up that info. It was a newspaper article and I kept it. Finding it may be another matter.
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
ADKHUNTER

Here's one article.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13049814...d_environment/
Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #12
ADKHUNTER

I fished Whitney a few years back and while I caught no trout there were plenty of chubs in the lake so it wasn't dead. Sampson was the same except we did manage one trout out of there.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #13
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by colden46 View Post
Just curious, but how do you plan on getting there? Perkins Clearing and Moose River Plains Roads won't be open for weeks, Cedar River Rd will still be closed well before Wakely Dam... only reasonable way in right now is from Piseco along the NPT, so be prepared for a long walk (15+ miles each way) to reach the West Canadas proper.
He's been warned numerous times on these forums. I think he's planning on parking at Route 30 and walking in via Perkins Clearing.
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
Buckshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
He's been warned numerous times on these forums. I think he's planning on parking at Route 30 and walking in via Perkins Clearing.
@ deathstar - I PM'd colden.

And for all of you keeping track I am considering pushing my hike back a week.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
Pole Brook Wulff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post

And for all of you keeping track I am considering pushing my hike back a week.
You should definitely "mullet-over" before heading in that early Buckshot. I have a camp in that area; the Perkins Clearing gate generally opens around 5/15, plus or minus a couple of days; it will save you some walking. Not all of the lakes you listed are dead and get little to no fishing pressure at any time throughout the year; even heading in during mid-May you'll still have the place to yourself. If you still happen to go in the next two weeks, enjoy.
Pole Brook Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #16
Moses Atwood

We went in last spring as soon as the mud locks were off the gate. Fished 3 or 4 of the ponds you listed above - did very well. Had trout with dinner every night for a week. We hiked many miles, and bushwhacked a bit too. You need a boat.

I'm stuck in PA for the rest of the year. Post some pics of your trip!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP2740a.jpg (150.1 KB, 612 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2827a.jpg (78.2 KB, 611 views)
Moses Atwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #17
KValo

Fished both Sampson and pillsbury this weekend caught some brookies in Sampson and a bunch of bullhead at Pillsbury, a lot of chubs!! Had real good luck at Spruce over the years biggest brookies I ever caught.
KValo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #18
Buckshot

I believe we spoke at Pillsbury for a bit Kvalo
Old 05-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I've also heard that Brooktrout is dead.
I've heard that Brooktrout Lake was dead at one time, but I think it might be making a comeback. Every time I've been there(4 times in the last 10 years) there have been loons on the lake. They must be eating something.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
EagleCrag

Not to hijack the thread, but I read somewhere that a loon eats something like 1500 pounds of fish per season and that they have been known to eat fish as big as a 17" bass. Can anyone verify these figures? We have witnessed them eating good sized whitefish in our lakes along with 12-14 inch rainbows that we stock in our lake each year. They're great creatures but apparently eat lots & lots of fish. So if you're seeing loons on Brooktrout Lake, I agree with madison--there must be something swimming around in there.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote