Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Cod Pond, WLWF, 5 Sep 2015

On Saturday, 5 Sep, Tredhed joined my daughter and I for our 5th and final "Lunch at a Lake" hike this season. We chose the short, 1.1 mile, hike to Cod Pond in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest. We had been to Cod Pond back in 2012 http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=17382 and wanted to revisit this very special spot.

One car greeted us at the Rt. 8 parking lot (photo 1) as we set out up the hill. The first few hundred yards of the trail were fairly rocky and my daughter let me know her displeasure with the footing. However, as the track picked up the old Oregon Trail, it turned into into a delightful walk (photo 2). After signing in at the register, we followed the snowmobile trail in the direction of Cod Pond. After another well signed junction, we followed the sparsely marked trail through some big woods to the pond. I was a little disappointed in that some of the blowdown from 2012 was still obscuring the trail just shy of the designated campsite.

Once at the campsite, a path leads over some beaver cleared trees, down to the pond (photo 3). The path ends at a nice rocky picnic spot right on the weedy shore of the pond (photo 4). As we were enjoying the nice view, a State Police helicopter (UH-1) flew by at low altitude heading NW. Once the wupp, wupp, wupp of the chopper faded away we settled down for a nice lunch and explored some of the rocks that littered the shallows (photo 5).

The hike back to Rt. 8 was a non-event. However, the early afternoon heat was starting to build and we had to stop a couple of times for water. Once we got back to the parking area, there were several cars there. Their occupants enjoying a beautiful day in this neat stretch of woods.

One of the last things we noticed before we left was the near-peak colors on the Shanty Cliffs and the Blue Hills (photo 6). What's up with that?!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1b1 TH.JPG (136.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 1f1 trail.JPG (135.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 1l1 to pond.JPG (137.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 2a1 CP.JPG (125.8 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 2j1 CP.JPG (132.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 3c1 colors.JPG (121.9 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 09-09-2015 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Add link
Tick Magnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
dundee

My guess about the trees is they're giving it up because it's been so dry. Nice TR.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
Hard Scrabble

Thanks Tick,
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
Tick Magnet

Thanks guys. It was really a great little hike. I hope to get out again soon. Sometimes the short hikes are the most fun.