Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2003, 10:39 AM   #1
morrell12

Wild Cats in the Adirondacks!

So do you all believe that there are mountain lions in the Adirondacks? Maybe this article will change your mind. This article came from the Adirondack Explorer!

ARTICLE
Old 12-27-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
Mavs00
I am the sith

I believe.....

I have though for several years that there are very limited panther populations in the DAKS. There are several confirmed incidents throughout the NE (tho none in the Daks), but there have been some strong probables in the region, including the partially eaten deer in Keene.

I still wonder if it's a breeding population or just a few (>10 individuals) with large (typical) ranges that get sighted. I do think a confirmed account will pop up in the next few years (Either scat or photographic evidence) with the volume of people in the region.

BTW. Beast in the Garden is a phenominal read on the subject of Mountain lions.

Last edited by Mavs00; 12-27-2003 at 08:00 PM..
Mavs00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 07:27 AM   #3
adk-46r
IT'S GRACE & CARSON PEAKS

Check out this sight www.easterncougarnet.org.
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK
adk-46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:18 PM   #4
DLHiker

I'm still skeptical

I want to believe, but I'll be skeptical until hard evidence is found.
DLHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 11:14 PM   #5
Steve

Catamount

In Aug of 95 my hiking partner and i saw one on Greylock in Berkshire Cty. Ma. . I reported it to Fish and Wildlife and even though i was "and am" a personal friend of the person i reported it to, it was determined to be an erroneous sighting.
I know what i saw, and have been a hunter, and trapper, for all of my adult life. I feel i know the difference between a Coyote, Dog, Bobcat, and anyother animal that it could have been.
Not many animals in th U.S. have a Tawny colored coat, with a tail as long as the body, with a black tip!! Ive trapped Bobcats and know what i saw.
I was told that it couldnt be a Couger because the D.F.W.really doesnt need another large predator to try to manage in a populated state. (They dont have the money)!!!
Between problem Bears, Coyotes, Fishers, and now a huge Beaver problem, Fish and Wildlife is stretched about as thin as they can go.
Steve
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote