Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #21
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan115 View Post
Touched, not poked. We were both very calm about the whole thing. All the reports I've ever read about them stated that they were not aggresssive. I can now say "in my experiece, they are not"
I was actually kidding, I changed touched to poked on purpose.

I'm glad to know that they're not aggressive, though! I've thought about that often for the few times I've been in the Tongue Mountain Range.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #22
Dirtfan115

It was really a neat experience. To be that close to a five foot rattle snake in the wild. I went there hoping to see one but not ever expecting to. Then I almost stepped on it.
Dirtfan115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #23
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
It was really a neat experience. To be that close to a five foot rattle snake in the wild. I went there hoping to see one but not ever expecting to. Then I almost stepped on it.
Sounds great. I'd really like to have the same experience someday. Maybe if I try NOT to see one (reverse psychology), I'll be able to!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:04 PM   #24
cadmonkey

Is an Eastern Diamodback and Timber Rattler one and the same?
cadmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #25
turtles11756@yahoo.c

i read in a book once that a poisonous snake is that last thing to look for a confrontation the one time i crossed paths with a timber rattler on tongue it was true. now they are probably being taken for the reptile trade which is not good. you don't bother them and they won't bother you
turtles11756@yahoo.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #26
Shelving

Quote:
I came accross this one on the trail near Tongue Mountain lean-to while geocaching there in August of 2007. He never even warned me, I almost stepped on him. He wouldn't move off the trail and after seeing him I was affraid to get off the trail to go around. He only rattled after I touched him with my hiking pole. He didn't make a move toward me though, just moved off the trail and coiled up so I could pass.
That's cool. Same thing happened to me on Tongue. I almost stepped on this big snake right on the trail (maybe not as big as that one though) It wasn't a rattler (at least I don't think so). I think it was a water snake but I'm not sure. It is pretty cool to see a snake that big in the wild. I had never seen anything besides the common garter snake. I've also seen one other type of snake on Tongue. It was one of those small green ones.
Shelving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #27
turtles11756@yahoo.c

back in the 70's i would read the DEC warnings posted at the trailhead on five mile mountain and looked for years for the timber rattler. on a warm spring day in the late 80's there it was right on the trail as healthy as can be ! a large timber rattler (same as above) not a black racer which gets nearly as large and have seen on tonque. i pushed him off the trail with the butt of my fishing pole for his safety. it rattled a bit but never did strike. hopefully the reptile collectors will leave them be.
turtles11756@yahoo.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #28
richard1726

Saw three 18 to 24" within 20' of the shoreline - Lake George, Tongue Mtn 7/24/1995. All close to each other.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #29
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

They definately swim. Once in awhile you hear about one surprising campers on Turtle Island. Usually the ranger from Glen Island will come over and relocate it back to the mainland.
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #30
Col. Forbin
Famous Mockingbird Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1726 View Post
Saw three 18 to 24" within 20' of the shoreline - Lake George, Tongue Mtn 7/24/1995. All close to each other.
I remember trolling for salmon and lakers up in that area north of the Sagamore as a kid and seeing the very same thing. Dad told me that when he was a kid, my grandfather would collect a bounty on them by turning in the rattles. Apparently there was a group of fellas who would just trap the snakes, pop their rattles off, then release them Word got around and the bounty item became the rattle with 3-4" of fleshy tail still attached =P Still doesn't appear to have worked very well.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #31
Crokit
crokit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmonkey View Post
Is an Eastern Diamodback and Timber Rattler one and the same?
Very different. EDB can be much bigger.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:55 AM   #32
wiiawiwb

Three years ago I almost stepped on a timber rattler on a trail in the Tongue Mtn range. It wasn't large but had a nasty disposition.

Yesterday, on the trail from Lapland Pond back to the Black Mtn trail, a friend of mine almost stepped on an enormous timber rattler. He jumped out of instinct and I, right behind him and not knowing what was going on, continued a half step until I was almost in the strike zone.

The snake was very loud, recoiled, and ready to strike but I backed away. It could have easily nailed my friend but didn't.

I have snake-proof gaiters for when I hike in the Tongue Mtn area. Yesterday, could have been a real problem for either one of us. In the future, I plan on wearing my SP gaiters every time I'm on either side of Lake George.

It got both us wondering whether Glens Falls Hospital has timber rattler antivenin or does it have to get flown in for emergency cases? Does anyone know?

Last edited by wiiawiwb; 07-03-2020 at 06:16 AM..
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:57 AM   #33
Woodly

I don't know if that hospital has the anti-venom but my experience working in PA. was when someone got bit and the local hospital didn't have the AV, the patient was air lifted to a hospital that did. And that was expensive.
Snake proof Gaiters or high boots is my way to go in snake country. And watch where you put your hands when climbing. And going up over a ledge remember your face is exposed.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:50 PM   #34
richard1726

Just a few years ago, we hopped out of our boat to stretch in the Tongue Mountain area of Lake George. Within 2 min we saw 3. This was near some boat access cottages. They do like to be near water.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #35
TCD

When I lived in GF I hiked in that area frequently. Never saw a rattlesnake, but they are certainly there.

About 20 years ago I tried repeatedly to find out if GFH stocked rattlesnake antivenin. I asked the question directly at various points of contact at the hospital. Interestingly, they refused to tell me yes or no. Don't know what that means, if it means anything at all...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #36
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

More rattlers see you than you see them in the Addacks. They like islands in lakes. Blue Mountain is one. They are shy unless you startle and corner them. They are protected in NY because they are considered an endangered species. The largest one ever recorded in the Addacks was 74" long.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:09 AM   #37
wiiawiwb

The reason it would be valuable to know whether GFH has antivenin is the ultimate cost to us if bitten. If GFH does not have antivenin, or would not fly it in, then you would have to be transported by helicopter to a hospital or facility that does have it.

That cost could be significant and may not be covered by our individual health insurance. It would be comforting to know in advance that we would not be facing a $50,000 bill (or more) in the mail should a snake bite occur.

Last edited by wiiawiwb; 07-07-2020 at 07:24 AM..
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #38
St.Regis

Schultzz, Timber rattlers on Blue Mountain Lake is probably news to NYSDEC. Here's a map from the Herp Atlas project that shows the known areas of timber rattlers in NYS, and BML isn't one. If you have seen them on BML, you might want to contact NYSDEC.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/44641.html
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:15 PM   #39
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #40
skillzman1

I accidentally hit one with my car last year in Luzerne along the Hudson river. I came around the corner and it was laying in the road coiled up sunning itself (I assumed). I didn't realize exactly what it was because there was so much tree debris in the road from a thunder storm earlier. When I realized it was a big snake I turned around and went back to look at it. I apparently clipped it with my wheel as I swerved. It was approximately 3' long. As I was stopped looking at it the homeowner came out and asked what it was, he said he had seen it laying there and tried to move it with a stick but it was 'pretty sassy'. I said if you had grabbed it you would have learned quick that you had made a mistake. He just scoffed and said 'it's just a snake'....

Last edited by skillzman1; 07-09-2020 at 06:58 PM..
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote