Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2020, 09:21 PM   #1
lisainthewoods
Louie on Lewey & Snowy behind

Moose river plains paddling

Hi, I'm trying to make plans for a camping trip ( the driving kind with a trailer ) and thought about the plains. I heard there is an area of flat water paddling and was wondering if it was near any of the campsites. I do know about Hell Diver and we recently camped at Cedar River. Also I would prefer very short carries or preferably none, actually something right at the site would be amazing. If you have a site number or area , I would be forever grateful. Yes I know this is asking for a lot but I thought I'd put it out there !
Thanks very much!
Old 07-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
Wldrns

Paddling opportunities are there, but limited unless you want to carry some distance. you can paddle in the Moose River upstream from Rock dam in the section called "stillwater" on the USGS map, but not very far before it gets too rocky for most tastes. You can also paddle up on the Red River a fair distance, but be prepared to cross over several beaver dams. Mitchel Ponds, Beaver Lake Squaw lake, and Little Moose Lake all require some carrying to get to.

Last edited by Wldrns; 07-11-2020 at 07:23 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
JonnyADK

Is the bridge fixed so one can drive from the Limekiln gate to the Indian Lake gate?
JonnyADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:04 AM   #4
TrailBlaser

Cedar River Flow - great place. I just spent four days there. I came in from Indian Lake - road was in great shape.

Last edited by TrailBlaser; 07-14-2020 at 10:49 PM..
TrailBlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyADK View Post
Is the bridge fixed so one can drive from the Limekiln gate to the Indian Lake gate?

Bridge?
Old 07-15-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
JonnyADK

Washout perhaps? I had understood that gate to gate travel wasn’t possible early this season due to unrepaired storm damage. Just yesterday I read the posting at the sign in at the Limekiln gate that states through travel is now possible. Sorry for the confusion...
JonnyADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #7
Nehasane

DEC conditions website is updated every Thursday:
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9200.html
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #8
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

About halfway through the MRP road from Limekiln there is a small bridge over a stream. The upper part isn't navigable but the downflow seems to be, where it goes I don't know. It's the first wide area campsite on the right. You can't miss it.