Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
jam66

Please Sign In, Wear a PFD!!!

I took a 3rd Canoe trip to the Adirondacks last week. I had my wife, 8 yr old son and his 10 yr old friend with me. My wife paddled my Magic and I had the two boys in my MNII. We went to Lows Lake and found a total of 44 cars on the road and in the lot. A check of the register found 18 campers not checked out. There was maybe a couple people doing the “Loop”, So obviously people are not signing in. We talked to a maintenance person and a Ranger that confirmed that about half the people do not sign in. This creates a safety issue for locating missing persons and also this is how the area receives funding by the amount of use it recieves.

We left Lows and headed for Little Tupper. The parking area was over flowing. I witnessed a “camper” pulling a loaded Kayak across the pavement to the launch.
We left Little Tupper and and a great time at an undisclosed location. Later on I also saw a group of kayaks. One younger man had a large cooler strapped to the front of his sit on top and a stack of gear strapped to the rear. He was not wearing a PFD, It was somewhere in the pile. Others in his group were similarly loaded. No PFDs. An Amish couple, him in his plaid shirt and jeans, she in her bonnet and full dress. Paddling down the middle of the lake with their Sit on Top kayaks, No PFDs. Also talked to a young man who bragged about grabbing a campsite and was leaving for the night. He was going to return the next day with his buddies.
Another family had to leave after not being able to find a site in this area.
I realize that this COVID has brought people out that normally wouldn’t be there but I can’t believe the blatant ignorance.
I am very grateful that I was able to show my son and his buddy a great time. I just hope this pristine wilderness will be there in the future.
jam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
rickhart

I was also at LTL last week. It was indeed crowded, though also everyone was pretty quiet. I often paddle out to watch the sunset. I was on Short Island this time, and one afternoon/evening I watched as several parties worked their way around the shore looking for a vacant site. I then saw two parties illegally camping, each of several people, mixed young & adult: one on the end of the beach-sandspit of site 11 (the one that seems to be a small esker), and the other on the small island next to the west shore of Short Island. I was feeling pretty understanding -- when they started setting up the sun was setting so they were probably pretty desperate -- but I lost sympathy for the island group when I saw a campfire blossoming out. It's one thing to make an emergency camp, but another to create a campfire at it.

Other than that everyone seemed OK, but I haven't seen so many people there before. I even saw someone one day in one of the sites along the Rock Pond outlet, both of which are pretty awful.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
backwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam66 View Post
I am very grateful that I was able to show my son and his buddy a great time. I just hope this pristine wilderness will be there in the future.
I hope it will still be there too , but with the number of people within a few hours drive and the way they publicly post pictures , locations , and info on forums like this one , social media , YouTube , ect I'm starting to wonder what's going to happen to it , I think this virus has obviously sped the inevitable results of it up.
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #4
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

I have always thought that anyone entering the Park should take a course, (even online) and take a test and then get a bracelet proving they passed the test. The test would be about safety issues in the Adirondack Park. It could be free. It would save lots of lives and aggravation I am sure. We have discussed this before. The test results and bracelet would be registered. Just like fishing or hunting licenses. Those breaking the law by not wearing PFD or proper footgear or not being prepared for the wilderness areas, if caught, could have their bracelet scanned by a volunteer ranger program (with training). Just like EZ Pass, they could receive a warning or fine. Lets get serious about protecting people and our natural resources. Comments?
Old 08-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #5
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
I have always thought that anyone entering the Park should take a course, (even online) and take a test and then get a bracelet proving they passed the test. The test would be about safety issues in the Adirondack Park. It could be free. It would save lots of lives and aggravation I am sure. We have discussed this before. The test results and bracelet would be registered. Just like fishing or hunting licenses. Those breaking the law by not wearing PFD or proper footgear or not being prepared for the wilderness areas, if caught, could have their bracelet scanned by a volunteer ranger program (with training). Just like EZ Pass, they could receive a warning or fine. Lets get serious about protecting people and our natural resources. Comments?
It would be a massive undertaking
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote