Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
thebluesman5748

"The Mountain..."

"The Mountain"....

The mountain, the beckoning call of the wilderness, the howling of the wintery night as it traverses the moonlit landscape of the crevasse of the high peak...

Ah....they appear, the family of the Adirondacks, up to their conquest...and in my opinion, a ghastly collection indeed.

Bluesman
thebluesman5748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
thebluesman5748

Somewhere Deep in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness

We're in the beginning stages of preparing for another backcountry hunt deep in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness region... Off to the range tomorrow to sight in, then it's all work from there...

We use a 12'x14'x9' Elk Tent with 5' walls, a wood stove which is cozy for 6 with bunk bed type cots... Getting all the gear in there is painful, but once all set up, the good times roll... The hunt, the meals, the booze, the poker, and all the lies of the day's hunt... It don't get any better than that...

Ya just cant beat the Adirondack Hunting Experience... It's got to be in your blood to traverse those hills and swamps with all the inclement weather that goes with it...

Best of luck this season to all you Adirondack hunters out there...

And remember: "It's not about the kill, it's about the Adventure"...

Bluesman...
Old 09-27-2020, 07:22 PM   #3
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Hey Bluesman,

I sometimes come across hunting camps like yours. I try to keep my distance out of respect. In general, would groups like yours be ok if a visitor stopped by just to say "hi" if for no other reason just to let you guys know where I was camping for safety purposes?

dT

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
GGNYC

Good luck, Bluesman. I know how much gear it takes to set up a camp like that and tip my hat to you guys for what must be multiple trips with heavy loads (and no wheeled carts). We set up a similar camp, but on the edge of the WCLW.

I hope you have an amazing season!

GG
GGNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluesman5748 View Post
We're in the beginning stages of preparing for another backcountry hunt deep in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness region... Off to the range tomorrow to sight in, then it's all work from there...

We use a 12'x14'x9' Elk Tent with 5' walls, a wood stove which is cozy for 6 with bunk bed type cots... Getting all the gear in there is painful, but once all set up, the good times roll... The hunt, the meals, the booze, the poker, and all the lies of the day's hunt... It don't get any better than that...

Ya just cant beat the Adirondack Hunting Experience... It's got to be in your blood to traverse those hills and swamps with all the inclement weather that goes with it...

Best of luck this season to all you Adirondack hunters out there...

And remember: "It's not about the kill, it's about the Adventure"...

Bluesman...
Mr. B-Man, Sent you a PM
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
Woodly

A great thread.
Good luck everyone.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #7
thebluesman5748

After 3 days of back breaking work our deer camp is set up for the season... Got an ample supply of firewood and we're now ready to pursue the elusive Adirondack buck.

It was chilly at night with temperatures in the mid 20's and plenty of frost on the ground come morning... Lots of leaves down but not enough yet for the visibility we're all looking for. Thunderstorms were in the forecast yesterday which should help bring down those leaves. They're talking snow showers for Monday.. Bring it on...

Opening day will be a bit warm but after that the highs are in the 40's and low's in the 20's as of right now. Keep in mind that the weather up there changes by the hour so ya never know what to expect..

We're heading back up tomorrow for 4-5 days then going back in for the long haul come election day... Don't forget to vote.

Good luck to all you ADK hunters...

And remember: "It's not about the kill, it's about the Adventure"..

Bluesman
Old 10-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #8
Northcountryman

How do you jump all that gear in ? Do you use ATV’s? Horses? Or just hike it in ? Sounds Like a great setup but a lot of work!! Good luck though ����
Old 10-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #9
thebluesman5748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcountryman View Post
How do you jump all that gear in ? Do you use ATVís? Horses? Or just hike it in ? Sounds Like a great setup but a lot of work!! Good luck though ����
2 wheel cart and raw courage... It's painful but well worth it.