Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2021, 04:26 PM   #1
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

lightweight Tarp

Hi ISO a lightweight tarp to add to my camping gear. Who can suggest a brand and any info regarding its use and or good/bad reviews. I was thinking about a 10x10

thanks

V
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:20 AM   #2
MrKawfey

Kelty Noah's tarp. They have a 9, 12 and 16. I wouldn't call it ultralight by any stretch. If you are looking for backpacking you might want to look for something else. For canoe camping or car camping they are great. They pack much smaller and lighter than a lawn tarp and have all the reinforcement, loops and features you need.

They don't come with poles. I bought extendable poles from Eureka because I wanted the extra height. You can use trekking poles, but they won't get it real high.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

I have a Noah's tarp something-or-other size. It's pretty heavy duty. I typically tie it between two trees, but even then, without some wood stacking I can't get it all that high.

Best thing about it is the tension system, which I think you can buy individually and use with any tarp. It's a combination pulley and locking mechanism with no moving parts.

It does the job but there are certainly better tarps out there. Some lighter and probably even more water resistant.

I guess the thing I like best about it is how fast I can set it up, provided I can find a couple trees spaced hammock length or so. If it's wet I'll set this up first and toss all my stuff under it to keep from further soaking. It's big enough to sit and cook under, and for a person or two to sleep under if it's low enough to the ground, but it doesn't take much side wind for water to get on you.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:36 PM   #4
electbc
Outdoorsman

I see that you are also getting into Canoe Camping. A lightweight tarp isn't as an issue unless you are going to do a lot of Carries. A lot of canoe campers use Cook Custom Sewing tarps, not cheap but the ol saying is Buy Once, Cry once.
https://shop.cookecustomsewing.com/c...?categoryId=12
Kondos are nice too
https://kondosoutdoors.com/products/...3/#fc-sidecart
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:11 PM   #5
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by electbc View Post
I see that you are also getting into Canoe Camping. A lightweight tarp isn't as an issue unless you are going to do a lot of Carries. A lot of canoe campers use Cook Custom Sewing tarps, not cheap but the ol saying is Buy Once, Cry once.
https://shop.cookecustomsewing.com/c...?categoryId=12
Kondos are nice too
https://kondosoutdoors.com/products/...3/#fc-sidecart
I also want to use it while hiking and camping with my new Hammock, also other places so I always buy good light stuff so I only buy once. Lightweight also offers less space needed in packing. If i was car camping then yes a good ol' $4 blue tarp is fine.
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 05-30-2021, 10:17 PM   #6
electbc
Outdoorsman

So is the lightweight tarp to be used over your hammock? There are plenty of hammock gear manufacturers who make both stock and custom hammock tarps. Head on over to hammock forums.net for lists of hammock tarp makers.
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:19 PM   #7
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by electbc View Post
So is the lightweight tarp to be used over your hammock? There are plenty of hammock gear manufacturers who make both stock and custom hammock tarps. Head on over to hammock forums.net for lists of hammock tarp makers.
yes and No, it has one but could be a secondary porch or just a sunshade or rain blocker sitting on the ground
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 06-02-2021, 10:29 PM   #8
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I bought a Noah's Tarp 12 a number of years ago when I started canoe camping and I like it a lot. I put it up first when I arrive if it's raining and it gives me a dry place to work and get the tent set up. Also it's nice for drying things, I run a paracord right under the peak and hang things on it. In a small tent it was almost impossible to dry anything once it was wet.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:25 AM   #9
MrKawfey

I just got back from Forked Lake and instead of bringing the Noah's tarp I splurged a bit (for me anyway) and bought a Nemo Bugout before we left. It's the exact same thing as the Noah's tarp, but it has bug netting that hangs down and zippers in the tall corners.

The zippers are configured with 3 sliders on each opening so you can suspend a hammock through the doors at any height and then close 2 of the zippers around the strap. The third zipper then operates as a normal open/close to get in and out.

I would love to give this a 5 star rating, but we destroyed one of the zippers on the trip. I didn't think we were abusive to it, but it just kept getting snagged and then started separating from the netting. I'll post some pics later.

Otherwise it was great. It shed water very well and because of the way it was designed, the water didn't just run down and soak the netting. The tie loops were strong enough for some pretty good wind.

It didn't come with enough stakes for guying out and staking down everything. That's ok though, most of us probably have lots of extra stakes. Also, if you use trees instead of some of the poles, you need fewer stakes. If you use all poles and make it free standing you need 6 for the minimum guy lines. If you want to pin the corners (you should) that's 4 more and then 4 more for pinning the midpoint of each side.

It also doesn't come with poles, but I used my extending Eureka poles and 2 trekking poles. One final complaint, the guy lines are black which makes them very hard to see during the day. They are reflective at night, but we had to tie a torn up bandana to them because people kept running into them in the daytime.

It's not lightweight for backpacking. At 7 lbs, for the 12x12 (they make a 9x9) without the poles, my 3p backpacking tent (4lbs), air mattress (1lb) and sleeping bag (2lbs) weigh about the same.

For a time Kelty made a Noahs' Screen which was basically the same thing.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:44 PM   #10
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
I just got back from Forked Lake and instead of bringing the Noah's tarp I splurged a bit (for me anyway) and bought a Nemo Bugout before we left. It's the exact same thing as the Noah's tarp, but it has bug netting that hangs down and zippers in the tall corners.

The zippers are configured with 3 sliders on each opening so you can suspend a hammock through the doors at any height and then close 2 of the zippers around the strap. The third zipper then operates as a normal open/close to get in and out.

I would love to give this a 5 star rating, but we destroyed one of the zippers on the trip. I didn't think we were abusive to it, but it just kept getting snagged and then started separating from the netting. I'll post some pics later.

Otherwise it was great. It shed water very well and because of the way it was designed, the water didn't just run down and soak the netting. The tie loops were strong enough for some pretty good wind.

It didn't come with enough stakes for guying out and staking down everything. That's ok though, most of us probably have lots of extra stakes. Also, if you use trees instead of some of the poles, you need fewer stakes. If you use all poles and make it free standing you need 6 for the minimum guy lines. If you want to pin the corners (you should) that's 4 more and then 4 more for pinning the midpoint of each side.

It also doesn't come with poles, but I used my extending Eureka poles and 2 trekking poles. One final complaint, the guy lines are black which makes them very hard to see during the day. They are reflective at night, but we had to tie a torn up bandana to them because people kept running into them in the daytime.

It's not lightweight for backpacking. At 7 lbs, for the 12x12 (they make a 9x9) without the poles, my 3p backpacking tent (4lbs), air mattress (1lb) and sleeping bag (2lbs) weigh about the same.

For a time Kelty made a Noahs' Screen which was basically the same thing.

well great idea and concept but farther out of $$ than i want. looks good though
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 06-22-2021, 09:05 PM   #11
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

https://www.campmor.com/collections/...n-tarp-w-pouch

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:11 PM   #12
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-W...68655502&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/Shanti-Life-O...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
Old 06-22-2021, 09:13 PM   #13
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

The silicon nylon are great, get a roll of nylon masons string from the hardware store to tie to trees etc..https://www.lowes.com/pd/Marshalltow...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23