Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
JDOCTAGON

Question 9 carrie map?

Heading to St Regis area and looking to do the 9 Carrie trail but I'm having a hard time finding a clear map. Suggestions? Planning on a 4 to 5 day trip. Any information, tips, suggestions, advice would be appreciated.
JDOCTAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
Wldrns

A good guidebook will give you the description of the route, caltopo.com will give you the detailed map.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
Kalmia VT

I've been very happy using the 'Adirondack Paddler's Guide' by Dave Cilley, and the 'Adirondack Paddler's map' from Paddlesports Press. You would be able to pick up both of them at St Regis Outfitters in Saranac Lake, I bet. - K
Kalmia VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
Rich Lockwood

Dave now sells a s map specific to the st regis canoe area that has even more detail. great as all his maps.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

https://www.canoeoutfitters.com/trip...gis-canoe-area

Buy a map too.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #6
Wldrns

The original (and probably the best ) guidebook description is from "Adirondack Canoe Waters: North Flow" by Paul F. Jamieson Get the first edition (green cover) if you can find it.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...k%3AB000OSVSSG
Old 09-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #7
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
The original (and probably the best ) guidebook description is from "Adirondack Canoe Waters: North Flow" by Paul F. Jamieson Get the first edition (green cover) if you can find it.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...k%3AB000OSVSSG
Yes..I 100% agree...I made the mistake of giving one of my two copies away about 25 years ago but the other copy is with me on every trip...
From my experience the 9 Carries is not a week long trip....even if you add in the 7 carries and add in the Spitfire loop it should be doable in several days less than that unless you plan to spend a significant amount of time hanging out along the way...
Nice place to paddle and fish at this time of year!
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

It's a fine overnight trip actually. About as much carrying as paddling, so it's worth going as light as possible.

I'd dip down into the Saranac WF ponds and the big Saranac lake for a day or two. There's no real wrong way to do it. Lots of places to camp. Should be quiet this time of year.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
9 carrie, canoe, maps