Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

stripperguy is homeless

Well, not in that sense! But MDB and I have been squatting at my daughter and SIL's house for a while, and will continue to do so until we build a new house.

So it's difficult for me to work on projects with no dedicated space and limited tooling. Even so, my son and my nephew both need paddles for their strippers, and my paddles are approaching 20 years old and showing their age (like I'm not?)

We decided to do a batch of bent shaft paddles. Nothing fancy, pine shafts, cedar blades, phenolic tips, 4 oz glass on the blades. Blades will be 8 x 20, angle about 12 degrees.

I'll try to document as I go along...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #2
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I'm sorry you're homeless and I hope it won't be for too much longer, but I'll enjoy learning about how you make bent shaft paddles in the meantime. I've made a couple of double paddles but the bent shafts have always looked a bit harder to execute, and I'm especially interested in how you do the phenolic tip protectors.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #3
gene43t

Hey Stripperguy,

I like your taper jig- looks a lot safer than the store bought one I have.

I have the same table saw- do you cheat and use 10" blades in it like I do lol.

Good luck with the new house!
gene43t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I'm sorry you're homeless and I hope it won't be for too much longer, but I'll enjoy learning about how you make bent shaft paddles in the meantime. I've made a couple of double paddles but the bent shafts have always looked a bit harder to execute, and I'm especially interested in how you do the phenolic tip protectors.
Zach
I joke about being homeless and squatting over here, it's too easy to hang out here with our daughter, SIL and the grandkids. I just don't have much space for projects.

I'll post some more pics showing the shaft assembly, it's pretty simple. The main design goal is to have ALL of the angle joint within the area that will be glassed. I have some drawings that I whipped up if you want them. The phenolic tips will be epoxied on the bottom of the blades before they're glassed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene43t View Post
Hey Stripperguy,

I like your taper jig- looks a lot safer than the store bought one I have.

I have the same table saw- do you cheat and use 10" blades in it like I do lol.

Good luck with the new house!
Gene?,
That's one of my SIL's table saws... I dunno what size blade he has on it! Most all of my tooling is packed away in one of the rental property garages. I have a 10" Delta, haven't seen it in a year. I think I still have it!
I was gonna buy a taper jig, but decided to just cobble something together quick. It worked just fine for the 60 cuts I needed to make, took about two minutes to make using scrap wood.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

A quick photo update. It'll be a while before all of the gluing is finished...

Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
58rover

Hey Mike,
I'd like to see final product. I've made about a 1/2 dozen bent shafts also (picture of one attached) I also settled to a 12 deg bend.
Have fun with house, you not only will not have shop space you will not have any time either ha ha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2100134.JPG (82.2 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg P2100132.JPG (78.0 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg P2100133.JPG (79.5 KB, 266 views)
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:34 AM   #7
Frankonix

Nice! Would love to see stripperguy's finished work as well.
Frankonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
Frankonix

Any updates? Anybody?
Frankonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I have ten sets of shaft blanks cut and glued.
It's now up to my son and nephew to take over.
They'll need to rough shape the shafts, add the cedar for the blades, then sand/blend everything. Being homeless, or, more accurately, being a squatter, many of my tools are scattered among 4 different houses. My shaper needs to be moved to my son's house, to make their work easier.
Neither of them are as ambitious as me, nor are they retired like me.

Bulimia, I've tried to prod these guys into action, but they've got their own lives, commitments, schedules, priorities, etc.
When there's some activity on these again, I'll be sure to post pics and updates.

BTW, my son swore he would finish his Opel GT rehab (bought when he was 14 years old) before I finished my CJ5 mods. I finished my Jeep in 2016. Oops.
Next challenge is to finish that Opel before I finish building my new house. I just today got the building permit. I sense another oops coming.
He was just joking last week that by the time he finishes that car, there will no longer be gasoline available.

Hmmm, I may need to reassess the task assignments...
Old 05-17-2019, 06:02 PM   #10
Zach

I'm sorry to hear about the difference of opinions about timing for your paddle project, but I'll look forward to seeing the update when it comes. That's very exciting news about the building permit, I hope the project will go well. I can't remember how much of the work you were planning to do and how much you were going to hire done, but either way it must be quite a thrill to be about to start.
Zach
Old 05-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the difference of opinions about timing for your paddle project, but I'll look forward to seeing the update when it comes. That's very exciting news about the building permit, I hope the project will go well. I can't remember how much of the work you were planning to do and how much you were going to hire done, but either way it must be quite a thrill to be about to start.
Zach
Zach,
We are subbing out the excavation, foundation, framing and roofing.
We also will sub out the insulation and sheetrock and taping. Excavation requires equipment and skills that we just don't have. Likewise for the foundation work, it will be poured walls. The framing will take a week or so with the framers, we would take 2 months. I used to hang a fair amount of sheetrock, but I leave that to the younger guys now. And I can tape joints quite well, but not nearly as fast as a crew on stilts. Insulation is not worth the itchiness, and I'm way past doing roofing.

We'll do the the plumbing, wiring and HVAC, as well as all the ceramic tile and finish floors, trim, and cabinets, vinyl siding...the easy stuff, from my perspective.

It was a long road to get to the permit, I did all the designs and drawings for the house but had to get a PE to stamp the drawings. The town is very difficult to work with, and many employed there have no degrees or professional training, they're just looking for a check in the box on their respective check lists.
And they have very few home owners acting as their own GC, so that aspect also presented many challenges.

I think the actual build will be easier than wading through the bureaucracy of the town's permit process.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #12
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Thread resurrection alert

This is a test of the emergency thread resurrection system.

Simulated warning sound, Simulated warning sound, Simulated warning sound

Since this is an actual thread resurrection, you are directed to look at the following text and photos.

WTH!!?? It's been 2-1/2 years now, I have deduced (I'm sharp like that) that my son and nephew are not going to finish the paddles that I started.

The house is done, motorhome is done (in the interim years we bought a wrecked 40 ft diesel pusher), CR-V is done (also in the interim I sold my Element and bought and repaired a wrecked 2015 CRV), and I'm not skiing yet, so it's just the right time to move those paddles along.

For those of you with long memories, or those just tuning in, I started building 10 bent shaft paddles, 12 degree bend, pine shafts, cedar blades with 4 cloth on the blades. OAL will be around 48-50 inches, a good length for most sit n switch paddling in my boats.

Here are most of the shafts, stacked up in the detached garage mid process.

You can see some of the shafts have a round over on the sections that will be the in water portion. (I almost typed under water, but under the water would be mud, rocks, etc). I was testing out the best method for that round over...it must be done before I glue on the blades themselves, or else I'll need to work that profile entirely by hand.

You can also see that some of the shafts are tapered. All of the shafts will be tapered from 1-1/2" wide to 3/4" wide near the grip.
Next operation will be to taper the shafts thickness (in plane with the paddle stroke load) from 1-1/2" near the blade, to 1" near the grip.

Once I get all the shafts tapered, I'll do the round overs on most of the shaft length, leaving a full section near the grip. Once I glue on the chunks for the grips, and rough shape the grips, I'll finish the round overs.

And after the shafts are fully prepped, I'll add the cedar for the blades. Cedar will be about 1/8" thick, maybe straight, maybe tapered to add a mild sunburst pattern. Dunno yet.

Not too exciting yet, but here's all 10 partially finished shafts.

Old 11-28-2021, 05:26 PM   #13
Fisheater

Glad to see you back at work!
Fisheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:41 PM   #14
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheater View Post
Glad to see you back at work!
Haha, It's good to be back working on projects...
Did a little more today, sorry, no pics.
Cut the taper on the shaft thickness, 1-1/2" near the blade to 1" near the grip. Also trimmed the lengths and squared up each end. I've got 4 paddles at 48", 4 paddles at 50", and 2 paddles at 52" OAL.
Gotta glue on some stock for the grips, then I can do the various round overs.
After that, it's time to glue up strips for the blades, then sand and glass and sand and varnish.

I plan to go to the local lumber supply tomorrow (Little Falls Lumber in Schenectady) to pick up materials to build my fireplace mantle, they also have a good selection of cedar.

In the meantime, here's a peek at a couple projects that keep me from getting bored.

This is a 2015 CR-V insurance wreck that I bought cheap, to replace my aging 2008 Element. CR-V needed two doors, rear quarter, both door sills, B pillar, rocker panel, rear inner fender, side air curtain and passenger side seat air bag.
Other than the accident damage, it was well cared for, low miles and very clean.

During:

After:

And here's the 40 ft diesel pusher motorhome that we bought cheap as an insurance wreck. Totaled, but with a clear title, go figure. This first pic is from the online auction site, motorhome was in VA, claimed to run and drive.

I spoke with the lot manager before we bought it, the damage was much more severe than it looks. A third party did a hillbilly repair to make it look good in the brochure, even though the generator was crushed, it did run and drive, quite well in fact. Unfortunately, I couldn't get most of the lights to operate, I had no wipers, no heat, no 110 AC power for the 500 mile trip home, during a December snowstorm.

Here's a pic from mid repair:

I rebuilt the crushed generator, fabricated and welded in new frame members, repaired about 100 severed wires, replaced the AC condenser and lines, pieced together the smashed front cap, repaired the roof, repaired every awning, roof, headliner, electric stairs...there's no point in droning on...there was a lot of work required.
Here's how it looks now, everything repaired to better than OEM condition:

Just bought an old butcher block, to use as a workbench in the basement. 5" thick of maple, it weighs about 350 lbs, it cleaned up nicely, was in use for 40 years in a sandwich shop. My son helped get it into the basement.

A clutch job on the CJ, added feet to the snow plow, a little work on the LJ, and here we are. Skiing this week somewhere in VT, we'll see who has the best snow.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:57 PM   #15
Zach

All of your projects look very nice, and must have been a tremendous amount of work. I'm curious about the paddle shafts and knots. I had picked up the impression somewhere (probably in a book) that knots of any substantial size were to be avoided since they would make a weak place where the shaft would break under strain, but I see that yours have some knots and I am sure you wouldn't make them that way if it didn't work.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:54 PM   #16
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Zach,
We'll see, I suppose.
The loads from paddling are relatively minor, with the highest stresses concentrated at the blade/shaft interface. And those sections will be covered with glass and resin, so they should be plenty strong. So I'm not too concerned about the knots, but if I were getting paid for these, they wouldn't have knots.
As long as these paddles don't get stepped on, or shut in a car trunk lid, they should last a while.

I started these paddles with the thought that all the profiling should be completed before assembly. Well that thought might be fine if I was doing a run of 100, or 1,000 and had a 4 axis CNC router. For this small quantity, it's fine to do most of the profiling after initial assembly, as long as I can avoid too much hand work.

Here's today's effort.
Oh, and I really enjoy those other projects, I like to see things resurrected, and particularly enjoy learning new skills, even though I'm now older than dirt!

Old 11-29-2021, 10:29 PM   #17
gene43t

You do nice work.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:31 PM   #18
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene43t View Post
You do nice work.
Thanks, Gene...That's what they used to tell me when I was an apprentice boy "You do nice work, just not much of it!" Those old time toolmakers loved to bust balls of the young guys.

So, another little bit done today. Here's the blocks for the grips, glued up and sanded smooth.

And here's the rough block grips, laid out and ready to cut to shape.

I first cut the 6" radius on the top of the grip in the bandsaw. Then I used a forstner bit (7/8" diameter) to cut the radius at the grip/shaft interface. If you look carefully, you'll see a guide rail clamped to the drill press table. This rail allows me to effortlessly and reliably position the paddle correctly, so that the radius cut from the forstner bit is tangent to the shaft.

Lastly, here's all the future paddles after cleaning up all the grips on the disk sander.

A quick note about some of these tools.
That Grizzly band saw was $225 brand new in 1984, it's not a Delta, but it sure does all that I need it to.
The belt/disk sander was $100 used, it's an old Black & Decker industrial, bulletproof. 6 x 48 belts, 12" disk, heavy cast iron parts, runs silky smooth.
The Delta shaper was $80 used, got it cheap because it didn't know the lyrics, it just hummed. A $5 start capacitor later, it ran great.
The Delta drill press is a 1940's industrial machine with a 3 phase motor and a $100 digital phase converter, another workhorse.
The Rockwell thickness planer is a beast, I forget the model number, but it's the one everyone looks for. I paid a premium for that, from the original owner, a cabinet maker. $400, ouch!
And lastly, there's that Grizzly dust collector. I got that for $100, from a guy that thought he could run it on 110 VAC, it's 220 VAC only. That dust collector really does a great job, couldn't use the belt/dick sander without it.

Anyway, back to the paddles. Next will be the round overs on the shafts and grips. Then cedar strips for the blades, and phenolic tips. A little sanding, some 4 oz glass, some more sanding and varnish and DONE!!
I have about an hour per paddle invested so far.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #19
montcalm
Mobster

Lookin' good.

We just got a 2018 CR-V to replace a total loss. I'm excited to have an AWD vehicle again. Haven't had one since I swapped my Forester for an Odyssey.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:42 PM   #20
gene43t

Stripperguy-
Oh yes, I know all about being an Apprentice and all that goes with it lol!
It was worth it though, had a great 36 years as an Electrician and am enjoying retirement.

I, like you, enjoy dabbling in other trades.
I'm not very good, but I'm slow....