Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2020, 08:07 PM   #41
montcalm
Mobster

Actually, the DEC map doesn't show the Horseshoe Pond Trail as being a bike trail. I didn't ride that myself, so I can't confirm.

I rode the Little Square Pond Trail and Otter Hollow Trail it looks like - there was only one bridge that I recall, and that was the one on the entrance to Fish Creek.

I started in the campground and although the DEC map doesn't show it, you can connect to the trails via the campground roads. I'd probably start at Middle Pond and do a lollipop loop if I wasn't staying at the campground.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/regions_...aclakeswf2.pdf
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #42
Dave Bourque
Footslogger

No Black Flies on Hurricane Mountain on Monday. It might have had something to do with the snow squalls.
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:05 AM   #43
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I may try that sometime. There is a very rough board bridge on the NWest side of Horseshoe from LPW that looks more like it better belongs on a roller coaster. Needs a lot of work. I looked for a canoe carry on the south end of HS to join the mapped trail there back to Follensby. It apparently does not exist in any obvious sense. I went there today because I am scheduled to guide a beginners group there in a few weeks (maybe) and they need to practice some carries along with navigation.
I did this a couple years back. I don't recall for sure, but I think you're right about it not being totally obvious. I want to say I got out at the campsite on a little cove near the southeast end. If you walk around the site, there'll be evidence of a carry, though I'd call it half carry, half bushwack. In any case, it's a short jaunt and not bad at all... At least it wasn't two years back.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #44
troutpunk

Pretty bad in the st. regis canoe area this weekend at times. I got chewed up good on Friday. Saturday and sunday weren't bad with the rain and cooling temps.
troutpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #45
TCD

No black flies at all on Gothics yesterday. Quite surprising for a nice early June day.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #46
Sconnie

Does anyone have a report from Indian Lake area from this last week? I was there two weeks ago and they were pretty bad hiking and fishing around water.
Sconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:57 PM   #47
Dave Bourque
Footslogger

Can't help you with the Indian Lake area but on Saturday I was in the Putnam Pond area climbing Treadway Mountain. There were no Black Flies at all but once the day got a bit warmer there were plenty of mosquitoes.
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:29 PM   #48
Wldrns

Southwest Adirondacks, Forestport area. it's been a nice several day cool/breezy reprieve. Temperature is now up to near 70F for the first time in several days and the black flies are biting and annoying, but manageable. A few mosquitoes make themselves known also.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:31 PM   #49
JonnyADK

This afternoon at Limekiln Lake saw a diminished Black Fly presence, finally. We will see what tomorrow brings.
Mosquitos are active and Deer Flies are underway...
JonnyADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #50
TCD

Deer flies are just starting in North Hudson, also. Killed one on my head the other day, swatted at a couple and missed today...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #51
tenderfoot

Jun 14-16: No biting black flies across 3 brothers on way to Slide, down across valley and out John Brooks Trail. Skeeters seemed to hold back until that last leg - John Brooks. Over nighted off trail on 1st brother and in designated site on Wolfjaw trail - cooler temps may have kept them at bay.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:47 PM   #52
Woodly

Bug season ends when the snow flies...and then that doesn't include ticks or snow fleas.
As for is it going on now-oh yea. Which ones do you like most? Mosquitoes? Black Flies? Gnats? Ticks? Or?
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #53
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Haven't seen a black fly in Schroon Lake in about a week - even paddled into the lake and up the river, and there were none.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #54
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Black flies are still around in Ferris Lake WF near Piseco Road, but deer flies have joined the fray and are more annoying at this point. Throw in a few mosquitos and "let the party begin!!!"
Old 06-18-2020, 08:04 PM   #55
Justin
Moving along

Aren’t bugs normal this time of year?
Do we really need the same bug thread every year to let us know that it’s bug season in the Adirondacks?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #56
Wldrns

right, Justin. I only started this thread because it may be important/interesting for some to know of first bug emergence of the season to be prepared from that point on. Maybe for historical purposes only. No real reason to continue location reports throughout. Same for the end of season, but can't easily prove that negative.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #57
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
right, Justin. I only started this thread because it may be important/interesting for some to know of first bug emergence of the season to be prepared from that point on. Maybe for historical purposes only. No real reason to continue location reports throughout. Same for the end of season, but can't easily prove that negative.
I get it. People are soft & sensitive these days and need to know how bad it is in the outdoors before they go & try to enjoy it.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #58
Tick Magnet

Didn't see any flies in the woods today. They were all stuck to Trehed's hat.

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 07-20-2020 at 12:39 PM..
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #59
Woodly

Great photo! LOL
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #60
mmcmdl

So , what do we have in store " bug wise " if coming up to Piseco/Pawley Rd area this weekend ? Little bit of everything ?
mmcmdl is offline   Reply With Quote