Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #21
rbi99

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
I am about to go in next week for a meniscus repair. It was torn about a year ago, and despite PT it remained a problem. MRI shows that it was a complex tear, which allows for the torn piece to pinch between the leg bones when going up stairs. The pain, when that happens, is nauseating.

I've already had one before on this knee, and four on the other knee prior to the ultimate knee replacement.

For now big mountains are out for me, but I just moved to Schroon Lake, so there are plenty of lower hikes and lots to paddle, so I'll move on to other activities.
The pinching is what I must have experienced and I agree the pain is incredible. It hasn't happened in several weeks, so I wonder if that won't be an issue moving forward.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #22
rbi99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I have a partially torn meniscus from about 10 years ago. Never got any surgery; it gradually got better. I'm 64. I've chosen to give up trail running, but I still hike multiple 4Ks, climb, ski (on Patrol at Gore, running sleds) etc.

Tenderfoot is right, too, about weight. I'm skinny (143) and the lighter load on the joints really helps.

No guarantee, but many meniscus tears become less symptomatic over time if you just keep up normal activity. Be careful to consciously monitor your gait, and "force yourself to walk normally." That was the hardest part for me; I had unconsciously developed some gait deviations to compensate for the injury, and those were causing me to develop aches and pains in other areas of the body, like lower back, opposite hip, etc.. It took a lot of awareness (every stride) to force that compensation to go away.
The babying I was giving my knee was concerning because I knew that it would eventually cause other issues in different areas. Doing a good job of not doing that now. My doctor has me taking 800mg of ibuprofen three times a day and applying Voltaren cream to the area twice a day. I'll be doing this for six weeks, then I go back to see her August 4. Coming up to the Adirondacks in mid September, so I should know what I am capable of doing before then.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #23
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbi99 View Post
The babying I was giving my knee was concerning because I knew that it would eventually cause other issues in different areas. Doing a good job of not doing that now. My doctor has me taking 800mg of ibuprofen three times a day and applying Voltaren cream to the area twice a day. I'll be doing this for six weeks, then I go back to see her August 4. Coming up to the Adirondacks in mid September, so I should know what I am capable of doing before then.
Good luck! Aging is not for the faint of heart!!

I was on the same ibuprofen regimen, but it did nothing, so now am on 2x 500mg naproxen - but damn, when that pinch happens even a fifth of bourbon doesn't help.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #24
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Good luck! Aging is not for the faint of heart!!

I was on the same ibuprofen regimen, but it did nothing, so now am on 2x 500mg naproxen - but damn, when that pinch happens even a fifth of bourbon doesn't help.
I can also do the same Naproxen script and it helps but I find 1pill is usually adequate but sometimes I also take a half of acetaminophen/codeine pill.
Days when I won't be exerting I take none.
I'm having an MRI this month and surgery maybe in late Sept.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #25
rbi99

Regarding Ibuprofen, I have taken up to 800mg at certain times and agree it did absolutely nothing for my knee pain. I mentioned this to my doctor when she put me on this 800mg three times a day regiment. Her response was that it takes several days for it to work on the inflammation. I have to say that between the profen and the Voltaren cream my knee hasn't felt this good in several years. I wear my special knee brace whenever I am doing anything stressful or potentially stressful. Those of us with bad knees know that one misstep can be very costly, so I am even more careful with foot placement then I have been in the past. Maybe I will and maybe I won't find myself on top of some more beautiful mountains. I am trying to the best of my ability to continue climbing and that is all I can do. I am grateful for the many mountain tops I have been blessed to stand on, and if I am able to climb even only one or so more mountains, I will cherish them as well.