Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2020, 10:50 AM   #61
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I'm totally with you on this but I've been wondering how suitable the Adirondacks are for these type of systems. I'm betting you'd have a break up a bunch of bedrock or large erratics to create an area of thermal mass where you could actually install a system like this.

For the rest of NY, I think it's a great idea and could really move us away from fossils and into electric supplied heat sources.

Due to the difficulties of putting pipes in the ground in the ADKs, I'm thinking wood and fossils will continue to be prevalent in my lifetime.

I'm actually entirely fine with using wood when I'm around, but a base system like oil is what I want for morning (after wood goes out) or when I'm away from home a lot.
Thanks to the rotary drill bit developed by Howard Hughs, drilling thru bedrock is pretty easy. Water wells are very common and are virtually identical to geothermal well other than the casing. I'd check with a local company, many water well drillers have branched into geothermal wells.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #62
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Thanks to the rotary drill bit developed by Howard Hughs, drilling thru bedrock is pretty easy. Water wells are very common and are virtually identical to geothermal well other than the casing. I'd check with a local company, many water well drillers have branched into geothermal wells.
Right - I saw a vertical configuration for the transfer "coils". I wonder how deep they'd need to go to get enough length and what the cost would be?

Well drilling generally isn't cheap. I was actually wondering with a conventional build if these coils could be placed under the basement and built in as part of the foundation? Perhaps there are reasons of maintenance or efficiency that negate this.

I'll likely buy a "used" house. But this is definitely something for everyone to think about for the future.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #63
Gatorman

Geothermal piping can also be laid horizontally, below the frost line. Most people do not have space for this layout and install the pipes vertically. I looked at geothermal for heating/cooling but the payback period (20-30 years) was too long for me.
Gatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:50 PM   #64
MTVhike

When we had our well drilled, the first 100 feet were through gravel and were twice expensive as the lower 400 feet, which were through bedrock, because the upper part had to be sleeved (or whatever it's called). I build a modern, energy efficient house, but our taxes are as high as on Long Island, for a house with the same market value! Elizabethtown.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:31 AM   #65
Bunchberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
When we had our well drilled, the first 100 feet were through gravel and were twice expensive as the lower 400 feet, which were through bedrock, because the upper part had to be sleeved (or whatever it's called). I build a modern, energy efficient house, but our taxes are as high as on Long Island, for a house with the same market value! Elizabethtown.
I used to live in Nassau county and that is amazing. I mean my taxes where like 15,000 for a house I sold for 465,000.
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:43 AM   #66
MTVhike

My LI home is in Brookhaven where they have a weird way of evaluating value which gives older houses an advantage (my house was built in 1895!). My taxes there are somewhat less than $15000 but the market value is also significantly less than yours.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #67
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunchberry View Post
I used to live in Nassau county and that is amazing. I mean my taxes where like 15,000 for a house I sold for 465,000.
Not much different than Pittsford, Mendon, etc... outside of Rochester.

I actually pay a higher rate, but my house is assessed much, much lower.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:33 AM   #68
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Not much different than Pittsford, Mendon, etc... outside of Rochester.

I actually pay a higher rate, but my house is assessed much, much lower.
I sold my house in Brighton to move here, and even though my house value is higher in Schroon Lake, my taxes are only 1/3 of what they were in Roch.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #69
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
I sold my house in Brighton to move here, and even though my house value is higher in Schroon Lake, my taxes are only 1/3 of what they were in Roch.
I know... it's disgusting
Old 09-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #70
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
The geothermal well we had drilled is only cased for the top 20 feet to protect from surface intrusions. The lower 400 feet was not cased. They run a black plastic pipe loop to the bottom then backfill with a type of grout to insure contact with the heat bearing soil,rock whatever. The well casing is expensive.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote