Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #41
montcalm
Mobster

Wow - that's great news. Hopefully we get some nuts!

I was just reading the ACF was calling the tree "functionally extinct", but that doesn't seem to be true. I think there are enough resistant trees out there they could be repopulated.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #42
St.Regis

Last I knew, the wheat gene added to the chestnut genome for blight resistance is about ready to be approved...Maybe future generations can enjoy chestnuts roasting on an open fire that smell like fresh baked bread
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #43
MrKawfey

According to one of my hiking friends, his grandparents worked as caretakers at the old Whitehouse. His uncle told him that his grandfather had planted a small orchard worth of apple trees not far from where the old chimney is and that you could still find some in the woods. We went looking a few years ago and couldn't find any. Had anyone run across this?

I'm assuming that by now, any apple trees would be descended from the originals.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:54 PM   #44
montcalm
Mobster

I think I saw a young hybrid chestnut today.

The leaves looked very much like American Chestnut but were not all that long. Maybe 4-5" at most, about an inch wide.

The bark looked exactly like this picture of the Chinese Chestnut:

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/comparison/

There was no fruit or burs or anything, so I'm not sure that's what it was. Sure looked like a blend of those characteristics.

It's planted in a park, so it could be any sort of weird cultivar.

Last edited by montcalm; 11-08-2021 at 03:08 PM..
Old 11-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #45
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I think I saw a young hybrid chestnut today.

The leaves looked very much like American Chestnut but were not all that long. Maybe 4-5" at most, about an inch wide.

The bark looked exactly like this picture of the Chinese Chestnut:

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/comparison/

There was no fruit or burs or anything, so I'm not sure that's what it was. Sure looked like a blend of those characteristics.

It's planted in a park, so it could be any sort of weird cultivar.
Which park? A family friend (now deceased) planted chestnut saplings all around Roc back in the 70s hoping to bring them back. All eventually got the blight too. Every once in a while I will find a young one growing out of the original root from Larry's trees but it never matures.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:48 PM   #46
montcalm
Mobster

Mendon Ponds right next to the “east” pavilion.

The bark doesn’t look like AC. The tree looks strong and full. Shape looks like a young maple or oak. It might be something else in the Chestnut genus.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:53 PM   #47
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Prob not one of Larrys. He put most in the Penfield, brighton, city area.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:59 PM   #48
montcalm
Mobster

No this looks like it was planted by someone in employ, and it doesn't look all that old.

I was just surprised to see the leaf shape, but then was baffled by the weird bark and small size of the leaves.

I've personally known of these hybrids (if that's what it is) for a few years, and they're not new. It's the first one I've seen in real life though. Makes me hopeful that we'll see the genetically modified or resistance bred ACs being planted. If I had the space for such a tree I'd plant one.