Hunting/Tracking Sidearm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tug Hill View Post
    I would choose a 357 mag revolver. Revolvers are reliable, you can rest your hammer on an empty chamber making it safer while crawling through thick brush. 44 mags , 10mm and larger calibers , recoil make them difficult to shoot.
    Yeah- they figured out all this some time ago. You can't make a modern revolver shoot without the trigger INTENTIONALLY engaged ... there is simply not a physical contact with a resting hammer and the pin. Instead there is an open space- pulling the trigger raises a tang that closes the space...without the trigger being pulled and held there- there is no possibility of the pin being touched., you'd have to compress the steel of the hammer to close this space. An impossible task, unless you destroyed the gun with a sledge hammer- and even then I'd bet on the gun not going off.! Even a drop of a pistol with a cocked hammer, if the trigger was somehow tripped, it would most likely instantly reset and the tang is designed to fall away before the hammer could made contact with the tang. Of course there is a chance in the drop of the trigger being held in place like a finger does... It would have to be pulled back and basically held there somehow... So i would not have the hammer cocked in your scenario... The revolver is still the choice of lot of law enforcement for a reason as they never jam, and are inherently safe with a round at the ready being handled every day, despite only 6 rounds available.

That being said, While I often carry my revolver, I'd still prefer a semi automatic, but i'd only carry that on an empty chamber, unless ready to shoot/actively hunting, but the safety is always on, safety flipped off in the last moment in the same motion as I am aiming - same rule with my semi-auto shotgun or bolt action rifle...they can go off accidentally with a round chambered, like crossing a fence, or laid in a corner, or crawling through brush

Comment

Originally posted by Bounder45 View Post
      I’m stating my opinion when it comes to recoil, as are you. I’ve dealt with big recoil in other firearms before. Some of those cartridges offer superior ballistics over the cartridges I regularly deal with, but the recoil is definitely a hassle to deal with, even when using the proper mitigation techniques.

I’ve yet to fire .44 mag, but if my suspicions are confirmed, I’m thinking there are other options that are equally viable while offering more shoot-ability.

Maybe my mind will change after some test firing. However, I’ve seen enough feedback which suggests that 10mm and .357 will be more than adequate for my purposes.

My comments on big magnum cartridge advocates was directed at the general internet crowd, not at anyone in particular on this forum. There is a lot of internet “expertise” on firearms which I often find contradictory to my own real world experience. That was my meaning.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I don't have a dog in this fight but I would encourage you to actually shoot all of these calibers in both revolver and semi-automatic platforms, if available ( 454 Casull is not). Only then can you draw conclusions about what works for you. Moreover, the way firearm fits your hand is very particular. Strangely enough, the Glock 40MOS (10mm) is the clumsiest-feeling handgun I have yet I shoot it more accurately than any other. Go figure.

In the end, you have to be comfortable with what you ultimately carry. If your final conclusion is a 357 magnum then go with. Ruger makes some outstanding revolvers and the GP-100 would serve you well. I would encourage you to feel all barrel lengths in the GP-100. It comes in 2.5", 3", 4.2", 5", and 6". Some might feel nose heavy while others are too light in the barrel. You'll know which one balances and feels best for you.

Good luck.

Comment

Attached Files
        in memory of Jimmy Johnson, an Adirondack Legend

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "

Comment

By the way, update on this...between additional research and some range time, I've narrowed my focus to a S&W TRR8 (or the M&P equivalent R8):

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...model-327-trr8

Scandium frame, stainless steel barrel and cylinder, 8 shots chambered in .357 mag. A bit pricey ($900-$1k), but all the reviews have said it's pretty much good to go right out of the box without having to fiddle with anything. Currently looking on gunbroker for one, and hopefully I'll be picking up something soon.

Went and shot a few different cartridges recently, including both .357 mag and .44 mag. The .44 mag was a handful; even with a very deliberate grip, it wanted to snap out of my hands. Now granted that particular revolver (a 4" S&W combat magnum) was on the lighter end of the spectrum, but I don't see myself wanting to practice extensively with the .44 mag. Plus, .357 ammo is cheaper by comparison, and I can practice with .38 special which is even cheaper.

I was willing to give the venerable .44 mag a shot (pun intended), but the recoil and ammo cost dissuaded me from going that route. And I have a newly-found skepticism for all the internet experts who claim they can put accurate rounds on a charging and angry target with that cartridge. It's just not a cartridge that lends itself to practical accuracy in my humble opinion.

Comment

Nice choice! When I used to be able to run, it was recommended by the so called experts, to run 100 yards to your firing line, draw and fire. This would simulate the stress involved in any self defense situation either man or beast. When I was able to do this my target for this drill was a paper plate at 25 yards, the self defense experts recommend 7 yards. I know for a fact that recovery time for a .44 Mag will definitely slow you down for a 2nd shot. With the adrenaline flowing weird things can happen with any caliber. I too question the You Tube internet people who claim to be experts on this stuff. Bottom line is to just safety practice, know your gun (tool), plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Comment

Guys, 10MM out of a glock 20 goes bang every time and you have 10 of them. If your brave and travel out of state you can get a high capacity mag and have 15. I saw someone mention 41mag. Now your talking. I have both of them. great guns lots of power and manageable recoil. I think for up close action with a bear, I'd take the glock based on magazine capacity.

Comment

I'll stick to my 458 SOCOM AR 15 conversion. Big and slow. Did I mention BIG? 10 shot magazine. What'ya mean it's not allowed?
                Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Working...
                X