Deer Season 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer Season 2018

OK Folks, deer season will be officially here at sunrise on Thursday morning, Sept. 27. Who’s heading out? I don’t bowhunt as seriously as I used to but I’ve been shooting my Martin compound and recurve quite a bit this summer and am about as ready as I can be. While I won’t take a doe with bow or muzzleloader in our big woods spots, those in the foothills (near my home) hold a lot more deer, so I’ll take a shot if presented. Apples are pretty much gone and deer are hitting the acorns hard here in the Lake George region. Good luck, and be safe in those tree stands.
    Life's short, hunt hard!

I once again did not get in the range time or get the bow course completed, and will not go out with a crossbow in a few weeks as I do not have the range time in for that either. My wife said no to my firearm acquisition plans, so the only way I'll get out during gun is if I can get to the range with a friend who can loan me a firearm, but I am working on that. Or I may just hunt with a camera a couple of times.

That said, NY Outdoor News this week has a solid review of Northern Zone DMU's, and a great article by the doyan of Adirondack Deer Hunting writers, Dan Ladd.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky13 View Post

My wife said no to my firearm acquisition plans,
      That's a shame. But as long as you are allowed to get out there that's all that matters. Good luck to all.
      "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Our daughter has bipolar issues, I have explained trigger locks, storage of ammunition in a different place than the gun, and locked cabinets, but she still says no.

Comment

I am going in the backcountry for three nights, most likely four nights or less depending on if I can fill my bow tag. I did an overnight trip awhile back and did some scouting in an area I have never been to, looked promising. I may set-up a wall tent as a base camp and do a temp shelter inside or closer to my area I plan to hunt. No tree stands for me, just a stalk hunt or ambush. I have been tuning a new bow for 10,20 and 30 yards. Good on all three.

A meat hunt, so, any ethical shot or mature buck that presents itself is coming home with me. I need my freezer full again.

Good luck to the rest of you.
          Last edited by Edb 46 er; 09-25-2018, 06:52 PM.
          Two Beavers

Comment

I’m going to wait until MZloader season. We just fired up a timber harvest on the 30,000 acre Corrigan TLP Tract. While doing job inspection Monday, saw plenty of deer tracks and also a bear track in the fresh skid trails. In the past This particular area of the property has been off limits to public hunting. But, now that the conservation easement has been fully implemented, I may hunt near this current harvest area ?
            Anyway, good luck to all going out with the bow.

Comment

First night out was quiet. Flock of turkeys hanging around. May have to pick on them on Monday. Back at it in the morning.

My buddy has a real funny story. He was hunting with two other guys. One them hit a deer and they were looking for it. They found a set of false teeth! True story!
              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Must have been an old deer

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky13 View Post
                  Our daughter has bipolar issues, I have explained trigger locks, storage of ammunition in a different place than the gun, and locked cabinets, but she still says no.
                  Get a gun safe and put her in it. (just kiddin) A gun safe is
                  one way to secure guns and ammo and cannot be broken into even by accident with dynamite. Show your wife gun safes so she can get the idea. Or have a hunting buddy keep you weapons and ammo till you need them.
                  Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
                    First night out was quiet. Flock of turkeys hanging around. May have to pick on them on Monday. Back at it in the morning.

My buddy has a real funny story. He was hunting with two other guys. One them hit a deer and they were looking for it. They found a set of false teeth! True story!
                    I know a guy who was hunting a few years ago and fell in a skidder rut and spit out his dentures....never did find em....maybe the mystery is solved!
                    Hunt when you can, Fish when you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Drake View Post
                      Must have been an old deer
                      Ha!
                      "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Agree with the gun safe..although it may be a challenge to overcome the concerns.
                        Western NY bow opens Monday and I'm ready to go. I've seen several nice bucks while I was scouting (and turkeys). It will be interesting to see if they cooperate. Any deer taken with a bow is a trophy..and a doe can be more of a challenge than a buck. Good luck to anyone that gets out...this is a favorite time of year to hunt...I love the transition from early bow to the snow and cold that follows.
                        If you take the choppers to a DEC check station the biologists might be able to date them.

Comment

I saw a doe and her fawn one evening and again the next morning. Lots of hickory nuts and red oak acorns this year.

Comment

Hi guys, I just came home today. I saw a bunch of deer but no shots were safe. On the drive back on Moose River Rd. we saw a nice crotch horn standing on the side of the road staring at something. He didn't even flinch when we slowed down to gawk.
                            Two Beavers

Comment

Deer Season 2018

Mast crop seems decent in some areas. I’ve seen lots of deer tracks and scat while out bear hunting (and I’ve probably bumped a few deer at this point).

I’m optimistic for this season but I’ve got a few more weeks to wait (I’m a rifle guy, though I probably should get into bow hunting at some point).

Foliage is starting to turn in the tree tops, but the under canopy is still very green and thick...not optimal for hunting deer or bear.

Also literally walked right up to a doe as she grazed on the side of a trail....I think the females up here don’t get pressured the same way the males do...I’ve never seen a mature buck do that up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Bounder45; 10-01-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X