No announcement yet.

Deer Season 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got out a few times over the weekend. Had a small doe at 10 yards but she was on to me, and on the opposite of my shooting side. Nothing in the higher country where I went yesterday. Some acorns, but not from every oak tree, that's for sure. Woods are still very green and no hard freeze in sight for my area.

A couple of nice bucks were taken in northern Warren County. I'm off to Long Island for a few days of neighborhood hunting later this week. That'll certainly be different.
    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Edb 46 er View Post
      Hi guys, I just came home today. I saw a bunch of deer but no shots were safe. On the drive back on Moose River Rd. we saw a nice crotch horn standing on the side of the road staring at something. He didn't even flinch when we slowed down to gawk.
      Are there any beechnuts this year?

Comment

I saw plenty where I was hunting.
        Two Beavers

Comment

I was out on opening day, but probably spent more time hiking than hunting. I had one encounter with a doe 1/2 hour after sunset as I was making my out of the woods. Other than that, very green, very dense, and pretty warm. Lots of acorns and lots of water now that the rains have refilled everything. I found tracks and fresh scat where I expected animals to be, but deer could have been 100 yards from me and I would have never known it. I only managed to check one of my cameras and had a young, but tall racked 5-pt make a few repeat visits - in velvet as of 9/17 and (apparently) hard horned on 9/25.

Heavy rain on Friday AM kept me inside and then I had other things to take care of. Saw lots of does and fawns on the roadside and in yards during feeding hours. Should be a decent season, plenty of feed out there.

Comment

Had to take a little time out from bowhunting to chase some fall turkeys. First fall bird I've gotten in years, and one I'm sure I did battle with last spring. Drove off without may camo hat too!
            Attached Files
            Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Good job out there!

What call did you use?

Comment

Nice jobs
                Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

Decided to do some squirrel hunting yesterday since I don't have a bow license. Figured I would take the 20 gauge in case I found a turkey. Found three doe, not a single gray squirrel and hiked a mile or two through briars and brush. Walked back out and shot my first ever turkey 20 yds from the truck!
                  Hunt when you can, Fish when you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by skillzman1 View Post
                    Walked back out and shot my first ever turkey 20 yds from the truck!
                    That's great, congrats!
                    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Well, how did everyone do with the smokepole this weekend? I had social obligations and only got out in the mornings. Saw two doe at first light Saturday, but we don't shoot does where I was hunting. Near home this morning I went out for a bit with no luck. Then, before the rain, I was taking down the electric fence around my pumpkin patch, I look in my back clearing and there's a small doe there looking at me. Go figure! A friend of mine got a nice 10-pionter in Warrensburg, and I'm waiting for a photo!
                      Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I'm headed to camp on Thursday for a full day of stomping around Friday and then I get to take the rifle for a couple of long walks on the weekend. Up the mountain and down the mountain, walk walk walk.

Comment

where's BioGuide??? I have been waiting for his pics, movies, and stuff.. I'm stuck here in Pennsylvania waiting for reports, movies, and pics, since I cant get there until November 16th.

CP

Comment

How'd everyone's opening weekend go? We had a good one in northern Warren County getting two decent 8-pointers. One was taken by my cousin who just turned 19. It's not his first ADK buck, but his biggest. I don't think I've ever seen anyone as happy to get a deer as this kid. It was fun to see. I'll get some photos out later this week.

We're not finding a lot of acorns, I've got a feeling they're at lower elevations as there were some around my house before the deer cleaned them up. Curious what guys in the woods are finding for sign; rubs, scrapes? We didn't see much, just the bucks that would've eventually made it.
                            Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Saw first scrape yesterday morning while tooling around, this was down in Gansevoort. Saw a nice 8pt and 6pt hanging together on Friday night
                              "I can enjoy society in a room; but out of doors, nature is company enough for me."

Comment

Spent the weekend in the North woods, Saw no deer, no scrapes, no rubs, but no matter, glorious weekend.
                                "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
                                X