Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting into Hunting- Good book suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into Hunting- Good book suggestions?

So I just recently got my hunter safety course completed and plan on starting hunting for white tails this season in the SW ADK area- I needed something to hold me over between trout seasons.
    Unfortunately no one in my family is an active hunter, at least not in the ADK so I was wondering if there are any good introductory books to get started with. Ideally I’d like to do some tracking so I’ll probably pick up Benoit’s book but the reality is that I’ll probably end up doing more still hunting since my time is limited and can’t just head out into the woods whenever we get a dusting of snow. Any good, general books that you guys would recommend?
    Of course I’m open to any advice you guys have as well.
    I’m 35 and no stranger to the backcountry, just never got around to getting my hunting license.

Thanks

Guide to Adirondack Deer Hunting by Alsheimer, Charles J., Watkins
    A Guide to Deer Hunting in New York’s Six-Million Acre Adirondack Park By Dan Ladd (2008, 2010)
    Also Type Adirondack Deer Hunting in the search box and a ton of U tube videos come up.

Comment

Find someone that you trust and respect who hunts and ask them to take a walk in the woods with you. Ask them if they might take you out one or two times.....hunting is something that you do not master overnight...it takes years of experience to acquire the skills and knowledge. It helps to have a sponsor.
      Don't hook up with someone that drives deer...that's not what you want to learn about. If you just completed HE you know that most shooting incidents happen during drives. If you plan to hunt from a stand, use a fall arrest system and safety line and haul line. The most common hunting injuries are tree stand and fall related. Do not cut corners.

Not a book but a good regular read that will keep you abreast of NYS hunting and fishing topics. Consider a subscription to New York Outdoor News (NYON). They often offer pretty good articles about hunting.
      Top Regional Stories More Top News View All NY News On The Water NY Fishing News Fishing Reports All Fishing Reports Lake Profiles All Lake Profiles Fishing News All Fishing News Freshwater Fish Regs Saltwater Fish Regs Moon Phases Opinion View All Opinion Articles In Focus All About Hunting View All Hunting News Readershots Photo […]
      Last edited by mgc; 08-19-2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I would also recommend finding a mentor or hunting partner who has your same interest. Planning and preparing is a lot more fun when you share it with someone.

As for books and other materials I would suggest a book by the Adirondack Trackers: Stories as Told in Deer Camp by Jim Massett, Joe Dinitto, Steve Grabowski and Dave Williams. Go to their website or Facebook page to see when they will be giving a seminar on hunting the Adirondacks.

Another great resource are all the great books written by Bob Elinskas. Buy the first one and start there. They are entertaining and also full of great insight.

These books are available at most adirondack book stores like Old Forge Hardware, Charlie John's in Speculator or North Country Books in Utica. Amazon as well but that is not as much fun as browsing the shelves.

Be patient, set a goal and then make it happen.

Comment

only book I would recommend is beyond fair chase by tim posewitz
          book about ethics of hunting
          do not learn to hunt from a book
          learn by spending time in the field
          I rather spend years failing, than following a how to guide and getting a deer in first month

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, and yes I plan to l arm most through trial and error. I work in the belly of the beast in NYC heavy construction so my time is somewhat limited. I enjoy a good book to hold me over when I can’t be up at camp.

Comment

I agree. Nothing more enjoyable and relaxing than reading about hunting Adirondack whitetails as the season approaches.

Comment

Regardless of how you plan to hunt, consider this program...

Meanwhile, the Adirondack Deer Trackers and Benoits are great sources. As is my buddy Todd Mead. But also check out these two Maine guys who are, in my book, among the best in terms of tracking and stalking Northeast bucks in the wilderness.

Randy Flannery: https://wildernessescape.com/maine-deer-hunting.html

Dick Bernier: https://bigwhitetail.wordpress.com/?...oMbJIKkb_mHx-I

These are all great deer slayers!
                Last edited by Buckladd; 08-19-2019, 09:06 PM.
                Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Without a doubt in my mind the best beginners book is Steve Rinella’s Complete guide to hunting, butchering and cooking wild game. With that said you need to find a mentor or club, it will take years off the learning curve.
                  I really loved the Benoit book too but there’s a lot more to it than tactics. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Comment

I agree on Steve Rinella from Meateater. His series of books cover everything.

Comment

Steve Rinella is probably the best ambassador for hunting out there today.

Comment

Originally posted by Mallard1100 View Post
                        I agree on Steve Rinella from Meateater. His series of books cover everything.
                        Originally posted by RipVanWinkle View Post
                        Steve Rinella is probably the best ambassador for hunting out there today.
                        I'm a huge Rinella fan as well, and I agree he is a great ambassador for the community.

He has some decent books on the basics of hunting and food prep. However, I find that a lot of his knowledge and experience is focused on Western-style (mountain spot-and-stalk) hunts. And I don't mean that in a derogatory way as he is definitely skilled at his craft, and I believe he used to live and hunt in the Great Lakes area in his youth.

Eastern hunting, especially in tough terrain like the ADK's, is different from what goes on out west. Some books from some of the better known NY and northeastern hunters would serve the OP well.

Jim Massett and Joe DiNitto are two names that come to mind.

Comment

Working...
                        X