Grizzlies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzlies

Not sure if this has been addressed before and a poll may be appropriate but how do we feel about the proposed Grizzly Hunt out West and its apparent stay whether permanent or temporary. How does that relate to our moose population? Opinions?
    Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

This issue has been put to rest by a federal judge.

Comment

Originally posted by adirondackcamper View Post
      This issue has been put to rest by a federal judge.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...-hunt.amp.html

Actually, the issue is far from settled.

The judge said the FWS supposedly did not provide enough scientific evidence that the Grizzly is in fact ready to be delisted. The ruling could get overturned by a higher court. The FWS could also provide more research that satisfies the judge's concerns.

Bottom line is: eventually they will be hunted in the lower 48 (albeit on a limited basis). Their population has already exceeded the target criteria which were laid out when they were originally listed on the Endangered Species Act.

The ESA politics get a little tiresome at times. Contrary to many peoples' beliefs, the ESA was never meant to serve as a permanent protection for charismatic animals; rather it was meant to safeguard threatened species (or specific populations of a species) until said group of animals had been rehabilitated and could then be transitioned back to state management.

The fact that grizzly in the lower 48 have finally met de-listing criteria (and had already done so several years back) should be cause for celebration, not panic and anger.
      Last edited by Bounder45; 09-28-2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Our Moose population is unrelated as it is not Federally Protected. If it grows to the point where it overtaxes its habitat, it could certainly be subject to population management, which is normally accomplished through hunting. Some of our near neighbors raise significant monies for game programs through their moose lotteries and subsequent harvest. But so far it does not appear that NYS Moose are expanding the herd size enough to require thinning.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Some mavericks break every other rule in the park, do you think moose in the park are being taken by poachers? If so any idea how flagrant it is?
          Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Well stated Bounder.

Comment

I think deer get poached because there are a lot of them and they are easy to find, especially at night. Poachers are lazy, and poaching is sort of a crime of opportunity thing. For all the tracks I've seen over the years, and despite camping a fair amount in an area with a well documented bull moose commonly encountered, I have yet to see a live moose in the wild. Plus a dead moose will require a lot more energy to move , I don't think someone is going to load it into the back of a pickup by themselves, and it will be much harder to hide on the ride home. But it would be a good question for a Region 5 or 6 biologist, they would have a better idea than my guesses.

Comment

Working...
              X