Hunting in the Adirondacks with a scout rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting in the Adirondacks with a scout rifle

Does anyone have experience using a scout type rifle for tracking/hunting deer in the Adirondacks. I am just getting started hunting up north, and have already heard many of the arguments related to using the Remington pump, various lever actions and bolt rifles. I was looking at the Savage Scout 110, and it looks like a light, easy to carry and quick to point rifle. I am interested in hearing from people who have actually used one of these scout rifles. Thanks.

I'm a lever gun guy, and not a big fan of bolt-actions (or scopes) for any fast shooting situation, but some guys have no issues with it, including the legendary Jim Massett. If you're comfortable with it, and think you can make quick follow-up shots if needed, that's all that matters. And the .308 is a good big woods deer caliber. But I still say make the first shot count.
    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

When I slow walk up home I always carry my 30-30 model 94. Open sites, I plan for one close shot or none.
      The rest of the time when I hunt with a rifle I carry a Savage 30-06. I can rack a second shell in quickly if necessary. It's never part of the plan though. One and done.

Comment

I think the scout rifle concept is great for the Adirondacks where most shots are under 80 yards. Part of the scout concept is to have a forward mounted scope with extended eye relief for fast target acquisition on moving deer. This is a key aspect of scout rifles. I own a few different deer guns and one of my favorites is the Winchester Model 94 lever action scout rifle in 44 magnum that was marketed as the "Timber Scout". I have a 1x4 power forward rail mounted Leupold scope on it. This gun is light to carry and with the quick detach mounts I have on it I can switch between the scope or peep sights during the hunt as many times as I wish. Best of both worlds. Out of production now. One of last 94's made in USA.

I recommend going with a gun you will enjoy carrying and shooting. Lighter is better in my opinion and practice with it on all types of shot situations.
        Last edited by Stillhunter; 05-17-2019, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I meant to post this here yesterday and it wound up in another thread...

Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Lever and pump-action rifles have their merits for big woods hunting because they are generally smaller and lighter....which are important factors many people tend to overlook when they first get into hunting. If you plan on putting miles under your belt for a season of hunting, size and weight are important. Also, they trend towards rifle cartridges that are better-suited to short-range shots...again this works very well for ADK hunting.

Bolt-action's are good choices as well, you just need to do your best to keep the size and weight to a minimum. The Savage Scout rifle should work well...the only thing I might caution you on is the muzzle blast's affect on your hearing...muzzle brakes do a great job of compensating the recoil, but they also tend to produce louder noises. .308 would be a great cartridge choice, especially if you plan on going after different types of game (deer, bear, coyote, ect.).

Comment

Working...
            X