Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
adirondackcamper

Pack Options

I'M getiing ready to buy a new pack. I've got a few in mind, the most comfortable one i'ne tried on by far is the Gregory Whitney 95L. I loved the fit of this pack, I take a lot of long trips into the backcountry. Sometimes staying out a week or more at a time. My question is, have any of you guys used this pack before? If so what do you think of it? At $360 I would like to see what anyone with experince with this pack thinks of it before i shell out that kinda cash. Don't get me wrong I don't mind spending that kind of money on a pack at all. I am aware of the fact with quality camping/hiking gear, you get what you pay for. One more thing, if anyone knows a similqr Gregory pack thats just as comforable but smaller i.e. 80L 85L or even 90L please let me know, thank in advance everyone. I'm not aposed to other brands either, I just liked the way the Gregory felt on my back being that i do have some minor back issues.
adirondackcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackcamper View Post
I'M getiing ready to buy a new pack. I've got a few in mind, the most comfortable one i'ne tried on by far is the Gregory Whitney 95L. I loved the fit of this pack, I take a lot of long trips into the backcountry. Sometimes staying out a week or more at a time. My question is, have any of you guys used this pack before? If so what do you think of it? At $360 I would like to see what anyone with experince with this pack thinks of it before i shell out that kinda cash. Don't get me wrong I don't mind spending that kind of money on a pack at all. I am aware of the fact with quality camping/hiking gear, you get what you pay for. One more thing, if anyone knows a similqr Gregory pack thats just as comforable but smaller i.e. 80L 85L or even 90L please let me know, thank in advance everyone. I'm not aposed to other brands either, I just liked the way the Gregory felt on my back being that i do have some minor back issues.

Sorry I can't comment on the Gregory. I do have two Ospreys that I like very much. Probably around the same price point.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
rdl

I've heard nothing but positive comments about Gregory packs, but don't have one myself. I have an Osprey that I like very much -- many nice features, especially the suspension.

I've been on many 7-10 day trips with my Osprey, which is 65L. I find that with a smaller pack, I pack smarter and ultimately am more comfortable with less weight.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
adirondackcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Sorry I can't comment on the Gregory. I do have two Ospreys that I like very much. Probably around the same price point.
would you mind telling me a little more about your Ospreys? I've decided against the Gregory. I read too many bad reveiws about it, apparently alot of their packs have issuses with hip belt failures because of cheap plactic used for the belts. I'm checking out a Osprey Aether 85L from EMS that has great reviews. It looks like a very nice pack.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
Glen
Check please

Quote:
would you mind telling me a little more about your Ospreys? I've decided against the Gregory. I read too many bad reveiws about it, apparently alot of their packs have issuses with hip belt failures because of cheap plactic used for the belts. I'm checking out a Osprey Aether 85L from EMS that has great reviews. It looks like a very nice pack.

I read the same reviews about the Gregory which is how I wound up with the Ospreys. I have the Aether 85 and an Argon 110. The latter is huge and can hold more than one can carry. I bought it because I carry a float tube and camping gear so I need volume. The Aether 85 is also roomy and a little lighter than the Argon. Both suspension systems are great with the Argon being geared for heavier loads. Another forum member, Vtflyfish also has the 85, so maybe he can chime in as he has done more serious backcountry hiking than I have.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
adirondackcamper

Quote:
I read the same reviews about the Gregory which is how I wound up with the Ospreys. I have the Aether 85 and an Argon 110. The latter is huge and can hold more than one can carry. I bought it because I carry a float tube and camping gear so I need volume. The Aether 85 is also roomy and a little lighter than the Argon. Both suspension systems are great with the Argon being geared for heavier loads. Another forum member, Vtflyfish also has the 85, so maybe he can chime in as he has done more serious backcountry hiking than I have.
thank you for the info. Do you find the Aether 85 very comforable? I do have minor back issue because of a prior car accident, so it is much more comfortable for me to have a pack that takes the weight on myips instead of my back. Does the Osprey do this? That is what i liked about the Gregory, but i'm not spending $300 plus on a pack that's gonna break, especially the hip strap where i need it to be good and strong
Old 12-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Like Glen said, I have a pretty fair number of miles on my Osprey Aether 85. I bought mine in 2008 and have done dozens of trips ranging from overnights to 2+ weeks. It is, without question, the best pack I've ever owned. Here's what I like about it:
  • It's light. It was the lightest of the full-feature packs when I bought it. Of course, things do change.
  • Durable. I'm pretty rough on my gear and this pack has held up really well.
  • It fits. You can get the hip belt in the size that best fits you. I like having the majority of the load on my hips and feel like the pack is snug to my back.
  • Plenty of room. Like Glen, I carry a float tube. If he didn't bring a bunch of claptrap he doesn't need he wouldn't have that rediculous Argon 110 (which is meant for 3+ week expeditions!)
  • Not too many do-dads. It has a simple expansion pocket on the back and two water bottle pockets on the sides. There's plenty of lash-down points. I like to carry my tent outside of the pack.
Hope this helps you in your decision!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I have several osprey packs. They are the most comfortable packs I have ever worn. Technology wise I don't think you can gind a better one.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

I have an Argon 85. Its the best week long pack I have ever owned. 50 lbs in that thing feels like 30 in any other pack I have used on extended trips. The suspension system is fantastic. I recommend it highly to anyone looking for a pack for longer trips or trips where you have to carry a lot of gear. The durability has been fantastic with absolutely no issues at all in 4 years of use. I do like thier repair policy if anything should go wrong at some point too, which also played into the purchase, even though I haven't had to use it. I also know a few folks who have returned items to them for repair whose expectations for repair were far exceeded, with Osprey going the extra mile to replace panels that were worn but not worn out yet and not part of the original repair, at no cost.

FWIW I also have a Stratos 24 and a Kestrel 48, and am looking for something by them in a sub 18l model for quick out and backs. Right now I think they are on top of the market, time will tell if they stay that way or not.

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
adirondackcamper

thank you for all the resonses guys, it's a big help, i'm basically 100% sure im going with Osprey Aether 85. I'm just waiting for payday, Christmas made money pretty tight. I'll let you guys know when I pick it up. thanks again
Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Glen
Check please

Quote:
thank you for the info. Do you find the Aether 85 very comforable? I do have minor back issue because of a prior car accident, so it is much more comfortable for me to have a pack that takes the weight on myips instead of my back. Does the Osprey do this? That is what i liked about the Gregory, but i'm not spending $300 plus on a pack that's gonna break, especially the hip strap where i need it to be good and strong

I have 3 herniated discs that flare up from time to time but the pack displaces the weight completely to the hip if adjusted and sized properly. My legs or wind usually gives out before my back. I have been told that I am not the most efficient packer although I cannot imagine what I could possibly forego.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
I cannot imagine what I could possibly forego.
The platform tent and wood stove are out but you must find room for the hogshead of single malt whiskey.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
but you must find room for the hogshead of single malt whiskey.
Surely you mean a rundlet.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissionpoint View Post
Surely you mean a rundlet.
Commissionpoint,

You bring up a good point regarding appropriate liquid measures for single malt whiskey. From the picture you can see that the hogshead is considerably larger than a rundlet. In fact, it is the largest barrel that will conveniently fit in Glen's pack. Plus, with those herniated discs he's clearly in no shape to carry in a Puncheon.

It's an embarassing admission but last trip we had a bit of difficulty finishing the entire hogshead of Taliskers and Glen had to pack out the barrel. I'll give you fair warning of our next trip so that you can partake and none of the precious stuff is wasted. The least we can do is drink all that Glen brings in for us!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg English_wine_cask_units.jpg (77.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 12-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

I stand corrected. Now I understand the need for the Argon 110. I never knew what that model was for before.

As a fan of the single malt myself I am glad to do my part help you drink Glens whiskey anytime. I like the Scapa 12 or 14, but I'll drink the Talisker, espescially if someone else is byuing/carrying.

Last edited by Commissionpoint; 12-14-2012 at 06:40 PM..
Old 12-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissionpoint View Post

As a fan of the single malt myself I am glad to do my part help you drink Glens whiskey anytime. I like the Scapa 12 or 14, but I'll drink the Talisker, espescially if someone else is byuing/carrying.
Glen has a very special bottle of whiskey he might allow you to sample.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glensplakie.jpg (108.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 12-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

I heard that stuff makes you see spots.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
fvrwld

Go with what fits you best. The Gregory may just fit you better than the Osprey. I love the features, quality, and looks of the Osprey packs but they just don't fit me comfortably.

I have a Gregory Palisade that is 10 years old now and has thousands of mile on it. It still looks almost brand new and fits me super comfortably. The 80L is a perfect size. It was big enough this summer to fit 7 days worth of gear including climbing gear and was plenty big for 10 days on the Northville-Placid trail. It can also be cinched up nicely to carry a smaller weekend load.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #19
adirondackcamper

Sorry for the delay everyone. I have decided on a pack. I got a US Marine Corps arcteryx style assult pack. It's about 88L I believe. I ordered it from amazon. I haven't recevied it yet, so I will let you guys know more about it when I get it. I'll probably do another thread on it and write a full review on it with pics of course after I load my gear in it and go for a quick hike to test. What I do know about it without having it in front of me is, this is no ordinary military pack. It is basically the same as a backpacking style pack you'd buy at an REI or EMS i:e- full suspention with heavy duty hip belt. thanks guys for all the resonses