Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2020, 07:34 PM   #21
Dave Bourque
Footslogger

Progress continues to be made. The county will fund the construction of a new foot bridge over the outlet of North Pond. I'm told the current efforts involve determining the legal status of each parcel of land. Lawyers are certainly involved so keep your fingers crossed. When all the formalities are complete a "Friends of Swede Mountain" group will be formed. Stay tuned for more information.
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #22
Woodly

Does Makomis still have a firetower? And if so is it accessible?
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:54 PM   #23
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

That tower reminds me of one just like it in PA on Mt. Davis. A few years ago I drove up there and found clouds near the summit. I was parked in a lot not 100 feet from the tower when I heard an awful loud roar. A small plane flew 50 feet over my truck obviously flying VFR probably not IFR rated nor certified. When he realized how low he was he tried to climb. I though for sure that I would hear him crash into the treetops and certain I would have been the first on the scene but he didn't. Of course a few yards to my left he would have lopped the top of the tower off. I will never forget that. Sorry for the derailment of the topic but I just had a crazy flashback.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:56 PM   #24
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
Does Makomis still have a firetower? And if so is it accessible?
It was removed in 1978. This article has some more info: https://www.suncommunitynews.com/art...-and-restored/

The summit is just barely on private property. I've never climbed it but I've heard that it's not hard to get permission from the property owners (The Underwood Club) to access the summit from the state land side of the mountain (which necessitates a bushwhack ascent).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:04 AM   #25
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
It was removed in 1978. This article has some more info: https://www.suncommunitynews.com/art...-and-restored/

The summit is just barely on private property. I've never climbed it but I've heard that it's not hard to get permission from the property owners (The Underwood Club) to access the summit from the state land side of the mountain (which necessitates a bushwhack ascent).
Thanks for the info DS. 78 hey? I was up there just before that. Was also a leanto there then. That had to have been the easiest tower to get to since I recall young children with us and an easy walk and if I recall correctly the walk was on a grassy driveway.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #26
HAYDK

Swede Mountain maybe this summer? https://poststar.com/news/local/new-...a24977bcc.html