Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Number Seven Mt. LGWF, 16 Dec, 2021

Today's 50+ weather was a gift and I could think of no better way to enjoy it than taking a hike to someplace I've never been before. Number Seven Mt. in the Lake George Wild Forest seemed to be a good destination for today. Since the state recently acquired some land in this area, it helped make getting to the summit a rather easy bushwhack.

Arriving at the end of Alden Rd., the new state land begins.
1a TH.jpg
The not-so-old logging road heads up the hill, passing some skid roads, landings and a run-down outhouse from a "mitigated" hunting camp. The outhouse wasn't in great shape, but it would do in a pinch (so to speak).
1e outhouse.jpg
The logging road climbs the hill through skinny woods, passing some nice swamps and occasional views.
1i trail.jpg
After a while, it was time to begin the bushwhack to the summit. It's a gentle climb on skid trails though a cut over area.
1o logging.jpg
The way becomes steeper once the old boundary of state land is reached.
1r #7.jpg
Reaching the wooded summit, I headed a hundred yards to the west, where the ledges were. To say the vistas were outstanding is an understatement. The view 1100' "straight down" to the Hudson River was intimidating to my acrophobic sensibilities.
2c Dude Ranch.jpg
Starting from the south, Thomas, Huckleberry and Joe Baker Sag stood out with the Kayaderosserass Range on the horizon to the left of Hadley.
2n JBS.jpg
To the southwest, Hadley and Spruce dominated the skyline with Bear in the foreground.
2f Hadley.jpg
Rounding out the view to the northwest were Baldhead, Moose and Crane. I could also make out Number Nine Mt. to the right.
2g Big 3.jpg
I always like the profile of Crane Mt.
2d Crane.jpg
While it was pretty breezy, I didn't let that detract from my exploring the ledges and finding a perfect spot to sit down and eat my lunch. All too soon, it was time to pack up and go. I shot a back azimuth and hit the logging road right where I started. Then it was a nice walk back to the truck. What a great day to be out and about enjoying some spring-like conditions in the middle of December. I suspect that will change soon.

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 12-18-2021 at 07:46 PM..
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:12 PM   #2
montcalm

Very nice! The zoom of Crane is great.

I have a bit of acrophobia myself, although I would never characterize it as fear of heights so much as a healthy respect for exposure, but none-the-less it's debilitating at times.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #3
Deb dePeyster

What a great way to spend a rare December day. Beautiful photos. I camped in the Buttermilk for the first time in October and realized how much this area has to offer.
I liked the photo of the Stony Creek ranch; I once drove someone there for a vacation. Formerly 1000 Acres, they had made a major investment in upgrading the lodge and it was indeed impressive.
Deb dePeyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
Tick Magnet

Thanks folks. It was a great little hike.

When I was in 5th grade (mid 70's), we went on a class trip to that Dude Ranch. I remember seeing the ledges on the huge mountain across the river. Who knew that 40+ years later, I'd be looking down on it from the top on the hill?
Old 12-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
SteveSam

Great trip report. I forgot that the state purchased the land on the east side of the mountain to open up that access. I did the approach from the river a few years ago and it was a pretty tough climb. The view was certainly worth the effort. Thanks for posting, I am going to try to get back up there in the near future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0030.jpg (113.3 KB, 102 views)
SteveSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:02 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Great trip report & photos!
One of these days I need to get back to that area now that the state owns the eastern portion of those hills and update my map of all the roads, trails, and fun bushwhack routes in the area.

Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #7
montcalm

Is this your own personal map, Justin?
Old 12-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Is this your own personal map, Justin?
Yeah it’s the one I GPS’d & drew up for Bill Ingersoll’s Discover the Southern Adks guidebook a few years ago. Here’s the northern portion…

Old 12-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #9
montcalm

How are those campsites? Are they full of poison ivy?
Old 12-24-2021, 10:33 AM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
How are those campsites? Are they full of poison ivy?
Some of the campsites are pretty nice, but some of them get beat up and trashed pretty bad. And yes there’s lots of poison ivy in the area, especially along the river banks and at the base of Ferguson Brook Falls there’s a huge patch of it.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #11
montcalm

Nice maps - good to see you post something here again.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #12
Tick Magnet

Justin, I took this hike based on your review in Discover as having "some of the best views of any of the peaks in the area". I was just intimidated by the arduous route up from the river road. Man, you weren't kidding about the view. Outstanding!

Since the new land was acquired, I think it opens up some other bushwhack possibilities in the area. Obviously #7 is the star, but Huckleberry and the southern peak of Joe Baker Sag are certainly within range of the logging road.

From what I could tell, it looks like they plow all the way to the end of Alden Rd. So this might be a return trip on snowshoes.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #13
Justin
Moving along

I’d be down for a trip this winter sometime, let me know.
Bald Mountain has some nice views also, mostly towards the south & West…

Old 12-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #14
montcalm

Justin - maybe you should make a "dak app" for your maps - maybe call it "Whack Dak". I saw where Bill said he wasn't going to publish anymore.
Old 12-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

I like the “Addie App” much better.
Bill has just been busy with other things. He never mentioned to me that he is not going to publish anymore. Granted there’s not much market for writing guidebooks anymore when most things are readily available on the internet, or via everyone’s favorite app these days. But he did say maybe someday he would get back into it somehow & someway. I still have all my notes & data on the southeastern Dix Wilderness that I put many hours into working on, so I hope something becomes of it someday. If not no big deal, I can always just post it on facebook.
Old 12-24-2021, 06:39 PM   #16
montcalm

Maybe I misinterpreted his response to that app guy:

"They stopped selling the Discover books because I stopped making them."

I had assumed he meant he stopped publishing them. And I think this was in response to Barnes and Noble.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:21 PM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
I had assumed he meant he stopped publishing them. And I think this was in response to Barnes and Noble.
Well his revival of “50 Hikes in the Adirondacks” was published in ‘19, but yeah haven’t heard of anything new coming out anytime soon. I did however get his new calendar in the mail the other day with his amazing photography over the past year, so that’s pretty cool.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:23 PM   #18
montcalm

If you know where I could still find some copies of any of the books, I'd be interested.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:30 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
If you know where I could still find some copies of any of the books, I'd be interested.
Sorry I can’t help with that. I gave away my old High Peaks book a while ago expecting the new one to come out soon, but that never happened.
Your best bet now might be to check your local or Adirondack book stores, or try Amazon.
Old 12-24-2021, 08:33 PM   #20
montcalm

Thanks - I was going to suggest it to others I heard looking for books on another thread, but I'll probably go to a local ADK chapter meetup. I recall going to those in the past and they'd have hoards of old books they were trying to get rid of.

I have an older version of "50 hikes" and many other ADK and independent publications, but none of the "Discover" books.