Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #41
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
A friend of mine who is a fellow guide instructor thought he had a perfect solution to throwing a rope over a branch. He had a slingshot with fishing line attached to a larger rope, and a steel washer tied to the end of the line. He fired the washer at the branch, only to have it run out of line and the monofilament acted like a spring to launch the washer straight back to where it came from with great velocity. Of course it struck my friend directly in his forehead before he could duck, leaving a large mark. So much for a good idea. I remind him of it from time to time.
A light piece of string tied to a throwable weight on one end and the other end of the string tied to your rope will get the job done (without taking out an eye). However, the sling shot would be big fun for other entertainment
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #42
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
True, but an agency (or legislature) can and do. They do not use names, but instead write the regulations in such a manner to exclude certain brands while promoting others.
When I wrote my evaluations of contract proposals, that is how the evaluation had to be written to get the winner we really wanted and to exclude others unwanted. Unless of course it was a small business company owned by a minority/female/veteran, then as long as the proposal was minimally acceptable, with the automatic point scale it was an in for final negotiation and funding with the contracting office.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #43
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
You could invest in a dog... I'm pretty sure with a dog you could keep your food on the ground and nothing will bother it, but don't hold me to that.
It doesn't work-trust me.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:20 PM   #44
rickhart

Boy, this thread takes me back. I'm not too great at throwing, either. I wasted hours & hours of time trying to get lines up. Of course they tangle most times too.

After I had to get a bear canister for the High Peaks area, I realized they save all that trouble, and even better, keep out all the other little critters. Last year I finally splurged and got a Bearikade. They have more sizes, too -- and the one closest to the larger Garcia holds a bit more then the Garcia. Lighter, but awfully expensive (isn't that the common trade-off?)
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:46 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhart View Post
Boy, this thread takes me back. I'm not too great at throwing, either. I wasted hours & hours of time trying to get lines up. Of course they tangle most times too.

After I had to get a bear canister for the High Peaks area, I realized they save all that trouble, and even better, keep out all the other little critters. Last year I finally splurged and got a Bearikade. They have more sizes, too -- and the one closest to the larger Garcia holds a bit more then the Garcia. Lighter, but awfully expensive (isn't that the common trade-off?)
IMO and IME, the Garcia is worth it. It works. I have been burned more often by littler critters getting into my day pack...
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote