Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #1
St.Regis

On-line and Phone in License Sales

Has anyone tried going on-line or calling DEC to purchase their 2020-21 sporting licenses? I've read on other boards that the experience has not been so good for a lot of people...missing antlerless deer/turkey permits, parts of their licenses - like they paid for hunting and fishing, but only got one or the other, special trapping tags (e.g. fisher). I'll be at the town clerk on Tuesday to buy my licenses like I have done for many years. I was just wondering how it went for folks going the automated or call in routes
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:07 AM   #2
bethfit

Called in to get hunting license. Went very well. Received everything in the mail promptly. Husband called in for fishing license. System crashed in the middle of process. Told him to call back tomorrow...which he did. Everything went through ok...except received two charges on the credit card for the same fishing license. Called back and they said they didn't see the second charge and not a lot else they could do about it except "escalate" the claim to a supervisor who would call us. Nobody called, so we called credit card company and they happily removed the charge pending "investigation". You don't actually get a fishing license like you do the hunting license. They send you an email that you can print or the system is set up so if you have your DEC #(from the license) the DEC can look it up and see you have a current license......Thought we'd give it a try, but providing they are open and it's not inconvenient, I would rather just go to the town clerk like we have for 40 plus years.....
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethfit View Post
Called in to get hunting license. Went very well. Received everything in the mail promptly. ...........I would rather just go to the town clerk like we have for 40 plus years.....
The fishing license has a different expiration date,hence a seperate printout or cell phone check. When you buy the license locally you are keeping some of the money local, as the clerks office gets paid for the transaction from the State.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
Blackflie

I have got a fishing licence online twice with no problem, you get a link sent to you so you can print a document. If I recall you have to create an account. I am from out of State so maybe its different. Didn't get one for this year as I have not been able to cross the border but here is looking forward to next year
Old 09-06-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
When you buy the license locally you are keeping some of the money local, as the clerks office gets paid for the transaction from the State.
That's a good point
Old 09-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #6
snapper
snapper

The experience I had trying to get my fishing license was a joke. At this point there are few local business where I can purchase one (other than Wal-Mart and I refuse to do business at that place!) and the clerk's offices are open very few hours. Consequently I had to do it on-line if I was going to fish legally. Without going into too many details, it took 3 phone calls and endless waiting on-hold before it all worked out. Even then it took about a week longer to receive the actual hard copy of my license then I was I told to expect. Nonetheless, I did fish since I had my license # that I was assured would be accepted by any DEC personnel who might ask to see my license.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
bethfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Even then it took about a week longer to receive the actual hard copy of my license then I was I told to expect. Nonetheless, I did fish since I had my license # that I was assured would be accepted by any DEC personnel who might ask to see my license.
They told us there was no hard copy mailed for a fishing license????
They sent an email with a "license" that could be printed / downloaded or they said that as long as you have/know your DEC ID #, any DEC officer could look it up to see if you were current.
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:56 PM   #8
BillyGr

There was just a story in email from Channel 6 (Schenectady) that license sales have been about triple what they usually are since hunting season ones started being sold.

That may explain some of the difficulties in the system, similar to how people had trouble getting things sorted out with unemployment when the claims suddenly jumped.
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:14 AM   #9
Buckladd

I took a tour of the new DECALS website when it was launched, and have the new Pocket Ranger app as well. Since I'm a lifetime license holder (hunting, fishing, bow, muzzleloader, turkey) I did not have to deal with buying a license and all my tags came in the mail accordingly. Soon, I will be applying for my waterfowl HIP number (I've heard of problems there) and DMP, so we'll see.

I've heard from some who had an awful time and others who had no issues. In some cases, at retail outlets and clerk's offices, training on the new system is an issue. Plus, the new software provider, Kalkomey (who is doing hunter ed too) is in Texas. They're the one's fielding calls.

Both hunter ed and Bowhunter Ed have seen a spike in those taking the courses since they went online in April. 40% of the newbies are women! And license sales are nearly double so far according to a press release sent Wednesday.

Change is tough, but it needed to happen and hopefully things will go smoother in the future.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #10
St.Regis

Since I will be hunting migratory birds, I called the DEC to get my required Harvest Information Program "HIP" number. The HIP # has to be written on your license to legally hunt migratory birds in NYS.

It used to be an automated survey about your past and proposed hunting of migratory birds (like duck, geese, snipe, crow, woodcock, etc.). Answer the questions and get your HIP #. It was simple.

That automated system is done. Now it's provided by an outside vendor (Kalkomey Outdoors based in Texas). It sounds like they have the corner market for most of rhe U.S. and provide a variety of outdoor recreation courses and certs...I had to wait a few minutes, but the process was relatively smooth. You can also register on-line and get your HIP #, but I heard a couple bad stories about the on-line registration, so I stuck with the call-in option.

Anyway, other than NYers aren't the ones doing this job, like Reserve America or whatever that group is that does the state campground reservations, it was ok
Old 09-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #11
snapper
snapper

I initially tried doing it all on-line but the system wouldn't recognize any of my previous information; that was supposed to be in the system. That's what eventually led me to the phone; and another series of disappointing experiences. Obviously it worked out in the end as I've been fishing this year but all and all, it wasn't a smooth system and it hasn't been, at least for me, the last few years.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #12
bluequill

I ordered my hunting license with tags just last week through on-line DECALS and received everything today in the mail.

The only issue is I never received my HIP number at the time of answering the survey and nothing in the mail.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #13
St.Regis

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
The only issue is I never received my HIP number at the time of answering the survey and nothing in the mail.
I'd call he number and ask for customer service.

A couple guys I talked to are still waiting for their HIP#s to come though the mail. One of them said it's 2 weeks and counting
Old 09-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #14
Edb 46 er

Quote:
I ordered my hunting license with tags just last week through on-line DECALS and received everything today in the mail.

How many days total passed before you received your license in-hand? I ordered online Saturday morning and still no license yet.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #15
Wldrns

I ordered my hunting and fishing licenses through the new system, much like I had successfully done in past years. I received my hunting tags in the mail a week or so later, but not anything about my fishing license. I had to call them and was told to go to a vendor to get my fishing license printed. I said I am not near a vendor. Well, ok, we have emailed you a copy so you can print a copy yourself (on standard computer printer paper). Unacceptable. So, ok We'll we'll send the waterproof tag to you in the mail. Remains to be seen at this point.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #16
Edb 46 er

I was hoping to go to the opener of Bow season this Sunday morning, but no license. Should of ordered sooner I think.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:27 PM   #17
Edb 46 er

Although, DECALS web page clearly states you must wait 14 bus days.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:04 PM   #18
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
How many days total passed before you received your license in-hand? I ordered online Saturday morning and still no license yet.
It was not longer than 8 days. I heard there is a record number of hunting and fishing licenses being sold this year so that could be slowing things down.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #19
St.Regis

Quote:
I heard there is a record number of hunting and fishing licenses being sold this year....
Be careful out there. I think there will be a lot of pressure on state lands, especially in places with easy access.