Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2020, 08:02 AM   #1
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Loons- somewhere in the ADKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUa32YuxRI
Old 09-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
IndLk_Brett

Awesome vid! There aren't too many things that I enjoy about being outside more than loons.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:24 AM   #3
backwoodsman

Loons are fascinating , we had 4 of them come out of the mist one morning and and do a circle dance within about 20 feet of the canoe . We were pretty lucky because you could only see about 30 ft in the fog .
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #4
St.Regis

Great video. I like hearing them call on a still night when most everthing else is silent except the crackling of the fire. For me, loons are an integral part of the experience
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:22 PM   #5
SteveSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
Great video. I like hearing them call on a still night when most everthing else is silent except the crackling of the fire. For me, loons are an integral part of the experience
Awesome video, love listening to the loons at night. A key part of the experience. Thanks for sharing.
SteveSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Thanks for the comments, guys...............I've taken 3 separate overnighter or more trips in the past 3 weeks and loons were incredibly active - day and night.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

pics not coming through for me..............
Old 09-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #8
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Was just up in the St Regis area camping, and saw quite a few. Always a thrill to see them, but the pair of loons on St Regis Pond who had a marital scream-fest at 3:30AM were not as well appreciated.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:34 AM   #9
Wldrns

I see and hear loons quite often at my new camp on a small no-motors allowed lake in the western Adirondacks. We have a nesting family each year. Lake residents respect and know not to chase or frighten them. As we are paddlers only, the loons do not dive or retreat when paddlers silently wander nearby, unlike the much more cautious loons I see on larger motorized lakes. My 4 yr old granddaughter went on her first canoe excursion this year, and was totally fascinated at seeing the loons and baby chicks swimming nearby. She can't wait to "go camping' (as she says) again.

When I moved there I was told that land owners contribute to pay for stocking of trout each year, which they say probably goes a long way to feeding the loons (and the otters which I have also seen).
Old 09-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #10
MTVhike

I was camping at Rollins Pond last weekend and we witnessed a "marital scream fest" as you describe it! Fortunately, it was in the late afternoon.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #11
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
I was camping at Rollins Pond last weekend and we witnessed a "marital scream fest" as you describe it! Fortunately, it was in the late afternoon.
They can be very loud!