Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
coldfeet

Bear cannister required?

Just curious if one is needed paddling certain areas of the ADK's? I do hang a nylon bag up in a tree to keep critters away. I know they are required up in the High Peaks for hiking just wondered about paddling remote areas.

I bought one a few years ago and some how my wife has converted it into the most expensive rice container in the world I might just use it anyway because I'm lazy sometimes and don't want to hang a bag. Truth is, one day I'm going to get wacked in the eye tossing my nalgene up in the air and it's gonna swing back and WACK not like that almost never happened before
coldfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

They are only required in the Eastern High Peaks, and only between April 1 and November 30:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7512.html

Since there really isn't much paddling in the Eastern High Peaks, it'd be hard to come up with a paddling itinerary that requires you to use it. Of course, it's not a bad idea to use one anyways.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

If you have room to carry a bear canister, I would bring it on a canoe trip for the reasons you mentoned (not having to throw things into trees). Since I also have an Ursack, I use that for canoe trips and winter backpack trips.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
coldfeet

Thx D, wonder if my old (6-7 years) screw off cap is still allowed? I just looked at the site you posted and didn't notice it. I probably read to fast as usual.

So, should I ask my wife for my old cannister back? Hmmm I can only imagine this avatar being me when I go to ask
Old 12-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
coldfeet

Just did a search on vftt and read old posts. Saw yours and the other one about the Garcia model. Looks like I'm still good with the screw cap unless yellow yellow comes by. One post I didn't care for was about the racoon taking the cannister for a walk. I was looking at the ursacks to stop small critters.

Wonder what most paddlers do with their overnight food?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yep, legally, the screw cap models are still allowed even though they've been compromised.

For what it's worth, I was able to return my bearvault to EMS for store credit because I use it a lot in the High Peaks. I then used the store credit to purchase one of the bearkeg models.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Wasn't sure what you meant at first, but just realized that you're talking about the Bear Vault. I still use mine. I have never camped at Marcy Dam and no longer go to Flowed Land; I do occassionaly camp near Lake Colden. When I use either the Bear Vault or my Ursack, I place it well away from my campsite and conceal it as much as possible. The only time I was aware of any animal noticing my food was last November when my friend put the Ursack next to the lean-to while we hiked and something knawed a hole in the corner. I once attended a seminar by canoe camping guru Cliff Jacobson who said that if you place your food somewhere that an animal isn't expecting to find it, it's very unlikely to be found. Keep it away from trails as well as game trails, and out of sight.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
coldfeet

Thx Bob, don't know how I didn't notice your post before. Hey I gotta look for an old pic that looks like your avatar and post it.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post

Wonder what most paddlers do with their overnight food?

Mr feet,

I can't speak for most paddlers, but I can tell what I do...
Just a plain old nylon duffel (made by Tough Traveler) and some leftover polyester jib sheet. The polyester line is nice and slippery, and glides easily over tree limbs. Never had a problem with bears, or racoons. Once or twice had some red squirrels get nosy, but never lost any food.
And any time I'm away from the campsite during the day, I make sure to hang the remaining stuff while I'm away. You can't leave anything accessible for more than a few minutes before it becomes attractive. The worst offenders in my experiences are mice, chipmunks and squirrels, but your experiences may be different.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:08 AM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The only animal that I've ever had get into a bear hang of mine was another human. It was at Pharaoh Lake- I'd hung my food in a tree a fair distance from one of the lean-tos while we went to climb Pharaoh Mountain during the day. Upon our return, my food bag was on the ground, and there was a tent pitched nearby, where a father and son were just finishing setting up camp. I asked them if they were the ones who took my bear hang down, and the father said yes. I asked why, and he said he was curious what was in it.

I honestly think that he had never seen a bear hang before, and didn't even know what it was and why I'd done it!

It's funny to think about how long it's been since the cables were removed from the Eastern High Peaks... (many of the more popular designated campsites had permanent cable and pulley installations for campers to use rather than make their own hang). I last remember seeing (and using) them in Fall of 2004... 7 years ago...
Old 12-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

if i was paddling id take mine just for the saftey and ease of my foods, not like ur carrying it on your back, and doubles for a seat, leg lift and a bobber for REALLY BIG FISHING ...
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
coldfeet

This is really weird, but earlier tonight my wife told me to take my gear out of the kitchen and put it in the garage. I give her a look like what the heck is she talking about? I know I've kept the place clean (if I want to eat that's the deal, it's been working for 26 years). She tells me it's the bottle her rice is in You mean my bear cannister? Whoo Hoo! Thank you, it's been like 5 years that she has kept it. After carrying it awy I realized how huge it is, definatly not fitting in a my kayak hatch. Not gonna carry it anymore, unless hiking in Eastern Peaks. But it looks like a nice new piece of equiptment for canoe camping Thx for all of your opinions before.

I liked the giant bobber for fishing post.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
love2paddlemore

A few years ago I found a pile of bear scat at the foot of one of the trees from which my food bag had been hanging for a few days. This was in the St Regis Canoe Wilderness Area. At the time I took it as a sign that my bag-hanging technique was adequate, but on further reflection I realized that the bear was probably REALLY motivated to get into that bag and would eventually figure out that simply ripping the parachute cord would bring the bag down. That was when I finally invested in a Garcia Backpacker's Cache and have been using it ever since. Yes, it adds a couple of pounds to carry, but it means peace of mind, and it saves me a lot of time and effort.
love2paddlemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
yellowcanoe

I use a 30 liter blue barrel and dehydrated food. Never an issue though I trip in the Adirondacks a week each year and several weeks year farther north where is much less human presence.

I used to have big problems with a hang and a soft sided bag. Once a red squirrel or six ate a lot of hung food. Hence going to the hard sided container (I have not used an Ursack). 30 liter barrels do not fit into kayak hatches though.

I cache off human trails or game trails.

The barrels do have harnesses. Yes you do have to carry it sometime. I also have a Counter Assault bear keg but it does not carry enough for northern multiweek trips. You will have to figure out how to transport your bear keg..for short trips it ought to fit in a pack just fine.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #15
dockless

The Pacific Crest Trail method is pretty good.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...technique.html

The hard part is finding a tree branch less than 50 feet above ground that's long enough to be 10 foot from the tree. Once I was taught how to make my own branch. Bring a line with a pulley in the middle and find two trees to get the pulley about 15 -20 foot up and away from both trees. Tye that line around both trees so it looks like a vine. Pull bag up with a line allready going through the pulley or use PCT method from the pulley.

Last edited by dockless; 12-10-2011 at 12:42 PM..
dockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockless View Post
The Pacific Crest Trail method is pretty good.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...technique.html

The hard part is finding a tree branch less than 50 feet above ground that's long enough to be 10 foot from the tree. Once I was taught how to make my own branch. Bring a line with a pulley in the middle and find two trees to get the pulley about 15 -20 foot up and away from both trees. Tye that line around both trees so it looks like a vine. Pull bag up with a line allready going through the pulley or use PCT method from the pulley.
You lost me.. Black spruce limbs 15 feet up are dense and short and often dead.

And my pines have no limbs for fifty feet up. Thence the issue of tying to two trunks 15-20 feet up. How do you get there?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
dockless

Throw the lines over short branches on both trees that are far enough away from each other thereby creating a bag drop out away both trees.... Anything branching out from the tree will provide a place to anchor a line. The problem then is that the tie offs for the line with the pulley are low enough for a bear or raccoon to get to....... so this guy wound his tie-offs to make them look like a vine....

With the PCT method, the bag is not all the way up to the branch (or pulley), which is what you want hanging from a branch anyway, but 15 foot up may be OK. Not using the PCT method, but simply pulling a line through the pulley gets the bag up higher, but the tie off lines come low.

A bear canister eliminates the whole problem of finding a tree....

Last edited by dockless; 12-10-2011 at 03:19 PM..
dockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
yellowcanoe

There are no branches on white pine till way up.

Black spruce rarely has discrete branches. Its frustrating to try to throw a line (with a throwbag or weight) through the branches. Heard of witches broom? That's what I am facing.

Pretty much that is why I stopped hanging. The trees aren't right! Yes I have used your system where there is not a very long overhanging branch, along with the Marrison Bear Haul System
Old 12-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

If your site has an outhouse, just put your food bag inside, hopefully hanging on a nail near the ceiling....gross but effective.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #20
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
If your site has an outhouse, just put your food bag inside, hopefully hanging on a nail near the ceiling....gross but effective.
Don't. Raccoons can see right through this. I have seen utter outhouse destruction.

I am still trying to figure out a bow and arrow solution to launching a rope through dense short branches.