Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Grey-Jay

Quiet overnight - Paul Smiths

Will be in the area, semi-business, for a couple days soon and looking for wild quieter campsite than a main road campsite. When there last year mid-week for same reason, Jones Pond noisy sites were filled up with RVs, Floodwood Road sites were all filled with longish term RVs, DEC campgrounds not desired. I ended up driving all the way to Horseshoe lake. Will have Hornbeck but not enough time for a real longer distance SRCA paddle-carry. I am thinking best options are Green Pond with hatchery permit, Upper St. Regis Lake carries to Bear or Little Long Pond, or Lower St. Regis Lake to something. Long Pond would have been an option if bridge not out. Anything else I am missing? PM or email surely welcome if you don't want to publicize lesser known places. Thank you.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
yellowcanoe

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=6368&page=2

Read page 1 too. I have found the Church Pond and Frog Pond leantos empty when I am there for a week early in July.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Here's a map that I put together a little while ago in response to a post on ADK High Peaks about camping on the Paul Smith's easement lands. Each marker is a lean-to that is open to the public for camping (in accordance with normal state land use regulations).

The two lean-tos that Yellow Canoe mentions, Church Pond and Frog Pond, are markers C and B respectively. All of these lean-tos have trails to them, but the trails are unmarked and can be confusing. Easiest to just paddle to them.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
yellowcanoe

If you are not referring to "soon" as attending the WCHA Assembly. its going to get busy next week for three days at Paul Smiths. 400 people and canoes. Starting Wed through Saturday.

The leantos on Frog and Church usually are still open. Other campus leantos like on the South side of Lower St Regis are usually taken.

If you ARE attending there are other camping options.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
love2paddlemore

"Long Pond would have been an option if bridge not out"

Second post today about a bridge being out...which bridge are people referring to? Thanks!
love2paddlemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I believe they are referring to the bridge under repair on Floodwood Road.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Grey-Jay

I am not attending. Just a photo assignment for a magazine
Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Telemarkmike

Last year on 7/16, I was going to stay at the leanto "D" on DSettahr's map, but it filled up at the last minute. A Paul Smith's worked told me about a little used leanto on the east shore of Lower Saint Regis Lake (just below the point at Paul Smith's). You can access it by car by driving into Paul Smith's college and then driving behind the Ranger Maintenance Facility at the southeast corner of the campus. You park behind the maintenance facility and walk down the embankment about a hundred feet to the leanto. We stayed there and it was nice.

You can see more at my blog post from last July at:

Offonadventure.com

Hope this helps.
Telemarkmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarkmike View Post
Last year on 7/16, I was going to stay at the leanto "D" on DSettahr's map, but it filled up at the last minute. A Paul Smith's worked told me about a little used leanto on the east shore of Lower Saint Regis Lake (just below the point at Paul Smith's). You can access it by car by driving into Paul Smith's college and then driving behind the Ranger Maintenance Facility at the southeast corner of the campus. You park behind the maintenance facility and walk down the embankment about a hundred feet to the leanto. We stayed there and it was nice.

You can see more at my blog post from last July at:

Offonadventure.com

Hope this helps.
This is the Forestry Club Lean-to. Unfortunately, whomever told you that you could camp there was mistaken (fortunately you weren't found out by Campus Safety!). This is a private lean-to owned by the college, and not even students are allowed to camp there.

There are in fact 6+ other Paul Smith's College lean-tos on Lower St. Regis in addition to Peter's Rock, but all are private and aren't open to the public. The only lean-to on Lower St. Regis that is open to the public is Peter's Rock itself, "D" on the map.

(Also, by "Ranger maintenance facility" I think you just mean the regular maintenance facility for the college. The NYS Forest Rangers don't have anything directly to do with Paul Smith's.)

Last edited by DSettahr; 06-20-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Grey-Jay

Are there any Paul smiths leant that one can stay at by driving to vs. Hiking or paddling? If not the one with the shortest paddle looks like it is on the flow of the lower lake with parking near Black pond
Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Telemarkmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
This is the Forestry Club Lean-to. Unfortunately, whomever told you that you could camp there was mistaken (fortunately you weren't found out by Campus Safety!). This is a private lean-to owned by the college, and not even students are allowed to camp there.

There are in fact 6+ other Paul Smith's College lean-tos on Lower St. Regis in addition to Peter's Rock, but all are private and aren't open to the public. The only lean-to on Lower St. Regis that is open to the public is Peter's Rock itself, "D" on the map.

(Also, by "Ranger maintenance facility" I think you just mean the regular maintenance facility for the college. The NYS Forest Rangers don't have anything directly to do with Paul Smith's.)
Oops! Scratch my suggestion then. Sorry... I didn't know. Also -maybe it was just the campus maintenance faciliy. I saw a ranger truck parked there, but maybe it was just coincidence.
Telemarkmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
Are there any Paul smiths leant that one can stay at by driving to vs. Hiking or paddling? If not the one with the shortest paddle looks like it is on the flow of the lower lake with parking near Black pond
If you know how to get to them, most of them (except Peter's Rock and Bent Spike), are only a short walk. Unfortunately, the trail network at Paul Smith's can be confusing and it'd be hard to explain.

That one that you mentioned ("F" on the map) is like a 30 second paddle from the St. Regis Mountain trailhead, though.

"G" (The Honeymooner's lean-to) and "H" are easily accessible by following the canoe carry from the St. Regis River to Upper St. Regis Lake.

"A," "B," and "C" are accessible via the Red Dot trail/Jackrabbit trail network.

Another note- bring a tarp or something to put down on the floor- most of the PSC lean-tos have dirt floors.

Note, too, that none of the VIC lean-tos (the 2 Black Pond lean-tos, the Long Pond Lean-to, and the 2 Heron Marsh lean-tos) are open to the public for overnight camping. Occasionally people will recommend them here- but they are not legal to camp at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarkmike View Post
Oops! Scratch my suggestion then. Sorry... I didn't know. Also -maybe it was just the campus maintenance faciliy. I saw a ranger truck parked there, but maybe it was just coincidence.
It's not really your fault. The legal status of the PSC lean-tos is pretty confusing and not always well communicated. I found out the Forestry Club Lean-to was off limits myself when I tried to camp there as a PSC student, and Campus Safety showed up in the middle of the night.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #13
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

DSettahr,
Just looked at your map of lean-to's , interesting how little things can trigger old memories. I was a student at PSC back in the olden days and remember staying at lean-to "A" on you map and listening to the radio when Neal Armstrong landed on the moon. And no I don't usually take electronics with me into the woods but we did on this trip for that reason. And yes it is just a shout paddle from the put-in to the lean-to.

John M - a Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote