Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
BareFootHiker

Bugs in August?

Just made final plans for a return trip to Bog/Lows for a week in the later half of August. Was never up there before Labor Day..... Was wondering how the black flys and skeeters are there that time a year?

Thanks
Aaron
Old 06-28-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
latremorej

Mostly skeeters in August. How thick depends on the rain... and there has been NO SHORTAGE this year it seems!
latremorej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Crokit
crokit

That time of year, I tend to have more problems with the deer flies than anything else.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
riverstrider
Sir Rhosis of the River

I agree about the deerflies. I've never seen blackflies in August, and the mosquitos have been more than tolerable, generally...but I am betting that this year will produce a bumber crop of them, so be prepared.

-rs
Old 07-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
BareFootHiker

Thanks for the info.

Deerflies......are they the ankle biters?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
mgc

There are two seasons in the park.....bugs and snow.
There will be bugs even in August but not the thick clouds of nasty black flies that happen earlier in the year.

The ankle biters as it were are the deer flies and sometimes their cousins the horse flies. They seem to ride along with you in your canoe staying just barely out of reach and out of site and then lining you up every now and then to remove a big chunk of your foot or ankle.

Embalm your self in bug dope, stand in the smoke of your fire, leave all niceties and scents at home and don't bath. After a while they'll think you're dead and leave you alone. Weekend paddlers never quite develop the layer of crud you need to keep the bugs off.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

No, those are stable flies.
Deer flies are the ones that circle your head for an hour, and then the next shift comes in and circles for another hour!! Oh, and they do bite....
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
BareFootHiker

Yeah stable flies..... We were at our cabin last week in NE PA and out on the lake, those dang ankle biters were driving the kids nuts.

Deer flies are the dive bombers that have you slapping yourself in the head.

I have deer, stable, horse and black flies all here around my house and my cabin. Some are worse than others but not like up north (ADK's) I assume from "the story's" I read.

Maybe the bugs up there really aren't as bad as everyone makes it seem......maybe it's a conspiracy to keep people away during the buggy season. Haha.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Oh, the bugs can be bad...It's kind of like pain....everyone has about the same threshold, but tolerance varies widely!! I, for one, have little tolerance for black flies...
A year or two ago, we carried in to Cedar Lakes, we were constantly attacked by the biggest, fastest deer flies we had ever seen. We got bit right through two layers of clothing!! We named them "Atomic deer flies". Those things would have ruined our trip if they were around the whole time. Luckily (I guess?) they were not at the lean to or out on the water with us...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
Rich Lockwood

Deer flys

Deer fly sticky tape works! On top of your hat and on your canoe where you see them lite. They like the carbon bow stemcap on my Flash. The good thing about them is their small numbers-you can eliminate the 5-10 around you and have peace for a while.I go barefoot or in sandles in my boat and the ankel bitters drive me nuts biting my feel under the seat. I always forget to retreet my feet after launching.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
love2paddlemore

Yes, stable flies are awful foot and ankle biters, but I find they can't bite through hiking socks, so keep a pair handy when I paddle. At the first sign of stable flies, I put on the thick wool socks and they are stymied. They never seem to go for skin above sock height.

The deer fly sticky tape on the crown of the hat or cap does seem to work well for deer flies, too. I never thought to use it on the boat. Appreciate the tip!

In general, I'm happy if I can find a mechanical fix to a bug attack problem instead of a chemical fix.
love2paddlemore is offline   Reply With Quote