Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
Craig
aka NumNum

Sodium considerations and pack weight

I’m looking at attempting the NPT this fall again. While the hike itself isn’t what I’m looking for information on, its pack-able meals with lower sodium than the freeze dried commercial ones that range from as low as 65mg for a breakfast granola to 930 and more for anything with meat in it.

Sodium in general is not to concerning as long as we keep it below the rda of 2300mg, which is still A LOT.

I need to take into consideration lower amounts as now I only have one kidney, and I cannot afford to impact its functionality.

So for those with one kidney, or those who are vegan, vegetarians, I’d like to know your workarounds and what you have done to keep the sodium down, and weight of your meals.

I am also interested in those who also take into consideration these benchmarks regardless of health concerns or preferences.

Thanks in advance.
If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose has been fulfilled.
Red Skelton

Last edited by Craig; 07-10-2020 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: typos
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #2
Wldrns

Dehydrate you own meals and control what you put in them. I've been doing that for 20 years or more with great success and flavor.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:07 PM   #3
Craig
aka NumNum

I clearly need to look into this as an option as well. This is not something I have done, but my brother does make his own venison jerky.

Thank you.
If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose has been fulfilled.
Red Skelton
Old 07-09-2020, 06:12 AM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Home dehydrating is really easy. Highly suggested especially for those with dietary restrictions or those who just want lighter, more compact food options.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
Craig
aka NumNum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Home dehydrating is really easy. Highly suggested especially for those with dietary restrictions or those who just want lighter, more compact food options.
Dear Santa...
Red Skelton
Old 07-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #6
Wldrns

Initial investment does not have to be very high, and will be quickly paid back over and over again. Just be sure that your research for a new dehydrator includes a built in fan and heater. There are a couple of usually recommended options, one far less expensive than the other, but both will do the job just as well.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
Craig
aka NumNum

Thanks for the information.
Red Skelton
Old 07-09-2020, 09:04 PM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

My cheapo dehydrator died last year, so until I get another, I just dry my foods and fruits in my daughter's convection oven. Spread it thin on a cookie sheet, set the oven for the lowest temp, and flip it over every hour or two.

And to reinforce what those guys said, dry your own meals and you'll likely never buy dried foods again!
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:50 PM   #9
Viking

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the cool group of kids in the one kidney club. Sadly I wasn't born with just one - I had to have a five hour medical procedure to obtain my status.

I'm into my numbers as it appears you are, and the Creatinine level is a big one to watch. One of my doc's is big in the outdoors so we could discuss this on an outdoor basis. For me, I maintain close contact with the graphs in MyChart, or whichever your area uses. I have drastically reduced my salt intake on an everyday basis - add it to almost nothing. I continue to use commercial freeze dried foods while in the back country but only for dinners now. This has resulted in my graphs literally not changing over many years. Just got my most recent labs back - still in line. Higher than if I had 2 kidneys - which is to be expected - but staying in the same range is the key.

However - my doc took me in a different direction as well - the possibility of a trip and landing on the one good kidney. This has resulted in more sure footedness on the trail.
I never liked hiking poles but I use them now. Gotta ski a lot slower, and I've discovered that the throttle on my ATV's does not have to function like a light switch.
I now wear my ATV kidney belt when skiing and other pursuits. Not the best for hiking however.

I've knocked out 90% of my soda and try to keep coffee to one cup a day (try). Don't want a kidney stone in the one good one.

I am sorry I couldn't be more specific to your question, but rest assured there are many of us out there.

Be safe!!
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #10
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Hi Craig,

Welcome to the cool group of kids in the one kidney club. Sadly I wasn't born with just one - I had to have a five hour medical procedure to obtain my status.

I'm into my numbers as it appears you are, and the Creatinine level is a big one to watch. One of my doc's is big in the outdoors so we could discuss this on an outdoor basis. For me, I maintain close contact with the graphs in MyChart, or whichever your area uses. I have drastically reduced my salt intake on an everyday basis - add it to almost nothing. I continue to use commercial freeze dried foods while in the back country but only for dinners now. This has resulted in my graphs literally not changing over many years. Just got my most recent labs back - still in line. Higher than if I had 2 kidneys - which is to be expected - but staying in the same range is the key.

However - my doc took me in a different direction as well - the possibility of a trip and landing on the one good kidney. This has resulted in more sure footedness on the trail.
I never liked hiking poles but I use them now. Gotta ski a lot slower, and I've discovered that the throttle on my ATV's does not have to function like a light switch.
I now wear my ATV kidney belt when skiing and other pursuits. Not the best for hiking however.

I've knocked out 90% of my soda and try to keep coffee to one cup a day (try). Don't want a kidney stone in the one good one.

I am sorry I couldn't be more specific to your question, but rest assured there are many of us out there.

Be safe!!
That's a nice post.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:49 PM   #11
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

http://www.hawkvittles.com/

Try some of these meals.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #12
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
http://www.hawkvittles.com/

Try some of these meals.
Hawkvittles originated with Hawk (a native Lakota American Indian now long gone from this forum) dehydrating recipes from a book available on Amazon:
Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail by Linda Frederick Yaffe

I've made many myself. These delicious recipes lend themselves to easy modification with your own experiments, which is what Hawk did and began a business based on them.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #13
snapper
snapper

It's already been mentioned but I'd like to reiterate that the purchase of a dehydrator is a great way to go. We purchased one when my daughter was in 7th grade (she turns 39 today) and it's still going strong. Why do I remember when we got it? Her Home Ec teacher went out on maternity leave and the long term sub had no idea what he was doing. For the entire spring semester her class used the dehydrator to make various recipes and food stores. That same unit is still going strong after all these years so it's definitely worth the investment of $$$.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:08 AM   #14
Craig
aka NumNum

There has been a lot of great options, ideas brought up here. Some of which are something I hadn't even considered before (or thought of). I honestly don't know why I never thought of dehydrating my own food before now.

Thanks everyone for the input!
Red Skelton
Old 07-15-2020, 06:14 AM   #15
Craig
aka NumNum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Hi Craig,

Be safe!!
Informative!

Mine was a 5-6 hour operation as well. The biggest recommendation my doctor gave me was no added salt, no dark sodas, less red meat, and get more plant based proteins, all of which are easy enough to do.

I find myself watching/reading nutritional charts a lot more.

I did get a lot of great ideas on this post, and a similar one at adkhpforums that will definitely help.
Red Skelton
Old 07-16-2020, 01:17 AM   #16
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Is it total sodium that is an issue (as I think it is from your post)? Or relative sodium compared to the total amount of food eaten? I often add dehydrated veggies as well as TVP (texturized vegetable protein) to commercial meals (i.e., Knorr pasta/rice sides) and I find that doing so cuts down on the perceived saltiness of the commercial meals considerably.

A friend did buy me a box of backpacking meals a few years ago, as a holiday gift. As I recall, they were noticeably devoid of salt- so much so that I found it necessary to add more. The name of the brand escapes me (it was a smaller outfit, presumably operated out of someone's home) but I will try to do some research and report back if I can figure out exactly where the meals were from.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote