Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2020, 08:31 PM   #41
Buckladd

Every year there are a couple killed in the Hogtown area by motorists. I've only heard of one so far this year, which is surprising with all the traffic up there. Then again, that may be keeping the snakes at bay. Planning to go berry picking on Buck in a few weeks, which I do pretty much every year and have yet to see a rattler.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:03 PM   #42
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Buck, don't forget to look for signs of bear. They love berry season and come out at night in force. In the MRP I often see Moose and Bear tracks on the edge of the road.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:44 PM   #43
daxs

lots of rattlers in the pine barrens too
daxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #44
wiiawiwb

For the second time in three weeks, I came across a Timber rattler...up close and personal. For decades, I've hiked and backpacked in the Adirondacks. Why, suddenly, the recent encounters?

This one was near the Millman Pond/Greenland Pond junction. I was staying at a leanto on Fishbrook and decided to head to Greenland Pond to poke around in that area. On my way back, I came to the junction of the Millman Pond trail and about 100' toward Fishbrook the rattler lay stretched out on the trail.

The darn thing was nearly impossible to see until I was almost on it. I was closest with my buddy behind. It rattled and I stopped, then I kept my eyes fixed on its head as it was upset. I was near the business end. I "guessed" it was ~5' while my friend said longer. In either case it was big, camouflaged, and in no mood for visitors. It crawled into the brush and I tried to get a picture before it did so but wasn't too successful as I was only interested in where its head was.

Clearly, this rattler, and the other one a few weeks ago, just wanted to be left alone and chose to exit when it could. That doesn't change the fact that I couldn't initially see either and got way too close for comfort. If I was motoring along, I might have stepped on it.

Three weeks ago, I said I would always wear the SP gaiters when in the Lake George region. When I went to Fishbrook, I rationalized that saving a small amount of weight was more important as lightning never strikes twice. Shame on me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Timber rattler Fishbrook 7-24-20.jpg (82.5 KB, 105 views)
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #45
Woodly

Lightning does strike twice, so will a rattler. Interesting you've seen two now and recently.
Nice you got a photo for proof. I think forgetting that they might be there is easy. How many times since February have you forgotten to put on a mask when you got out of the car only to remember ten ft away? Its just not something we are use to doing.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #46
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Buck, don't forget to look for signs of bear. They love berry season and come out at night in force. In the MRP I often see Moose and Bear tracks on the edge of the road.
Indeed, but in nearly 50 years of living, hiking, berry picking and hunting on and around Buck Mt., I've yet to see a bear in Hogtown. We have seen tracks a few times. Only a few are taken in the Norther Zone part of Washington County. Some years, none.

The only rattler I've ever seen was on Lake Champlain, when paddling South Bay back in 2007.