Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2020, 11:07 AM   #41
montcalm
Mobster

Yeah...

I don't get it. Seems just like pipe dreaming. Do you have the actual ideas on how this could work in reality? Do you have the means to purchase the property and make it happen?

Saying things like it will have to have "smart" planning doesn't really do much for me. That's subjective and the only smart idea is the one that works.

Speculating that someone "could" do this, when there's no prospect of anyone actually doing it isn't really productive in conserving the land and making it accessible to the public.

Personally, I'm not against it being purchased by a private individual. That very may well happen and I'll go back to my world as it was when this was off the table.

What I'd hate to see is anything turned to development, which I doubt will happen... but it's always a possibility in private hands.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #42
montcalm
Mobster

So St. Regis, not to poo-poo your ideas, but here's a number of things small groups can do to make a big difference:

Organize volunteer groups to help clean, repair and build

Set up a not-for-profit that does fund raising that goes directly to hiring Stewards to educate and assist Rangers in issuing violations (they cannot, but they can direct the Ranger's attentions).

Support advocacy groups that donate money into improving the existing infrastructure i.e. trails, lean-tos, latrines and educating the public on LNT

These things all work and make our public lands better for everyone, and help to conserve these areas.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #43
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I hope Jack Ma or some other private buyer gets this. If it ends up with the state, they will take my money to buy it (and I don't really want it). And they will destroy the beautiful, historic buildings, open it to the public, and let it become a mud pit.
Yes, but even you will allowed in!
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:59 PM   #44
TCD

And you as well! Maybe you and I will be the only ones in there practicing LNT.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote