Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2022, 09:20 AM   #1
Bunchberry

Swimming in Crane Pond in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness?

I might hike Pharaoh Mountain this weekend and was thinking of swimming in Crane Pond or Pharaoh Lake on the way out. What's the 411 on leaches? How do you get leaches off you? Any swimming thoughts would be appreciated.
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:30 AM   #2
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I've never been to Crane Pond, but I have only gotten leeches on me once or twice in the Adirondacks, though I have a few times in other places. What works for me to remove leeches is to grab them in the middle and pull straight away from the surface of my leg, then throw them away on land so they die. That last part gives some feeling of equity to the transaction, though it probably makes no difference in the big picture.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:11 PM   #3
Crash

I've swam at hundreds (yes hundreds!) of locations throughout the Adirondacks and I've never gotten a leach (knocking on wood as I write this), including Crane Pond. I tend to stick to sandy/gravelly areas or in deep water off rock ledges. And I keep moving while I am in the water.

I've seen leaches several times. My boys have gotten a couple attached to them. The boys tend to wade in muddier areas and also stand still for longer periods of time than I. One of my sons once caught a leach and kept it as a pet in a Snapple bottle for a few days - his name was Slinky.

I've heard that you can put salt on the leach and they will pull out - but I think they may regurgitate when they do this so maybe salt is not advisable. So you are probably better off doing what Zach says - except you may instead want to put him in a bottle if you are open to having another pet.

Last edited by Crash; 07-15-2022 at 09:25 PM..
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:47 AM   #4
Justin
Moving along

I have been swimming in Crane Pond and Pharaoh Lake since early childhood and have never seen a leach in either. Large water snakes and snapping turtles however
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 11:58 AM   #5
mike7575

In Viet Nam we used bug juice to remove leeches. I always carried spare bottles if I could get them.
mike7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:20 PM   #6
Bunchberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7575 View Post
In Viet Nam we used bug juice to remove leeches. I always carried spare bottles if I could get them.
Thank you for your service. Do you remember what kind of bug juice it was?
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:00 AM   #7
Klinkhamer

Was in Essex Chain Lakes on Sunday. Swam for a bit in 3rd lake after paddling all day and saw some 4+ inch leeches swimming around just under the surface. Was kind of freaky seeing them turn toward you like they were coming in for the kill. :-) The others in my party decided they did not want to swim any more...
Old 07-18-2022, 10:39 AM   #8
mike7575

Sorry but no idea but I"m pretty sure sure it was supplied by the lowest bidder
mike7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:25 AM   #9
BillyGr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7575 View Post
Sorry but no idea but I"m pretty sure sure it was supplied by the lowest bidder
Given some of the other things that were used at that time, I'm not sure people really want to find it anyway - it might be worse for you than the problem that you are trying to solve
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:14 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I've swum in Crane a few times over the years. If you pick the right spot on the shore you shouldn't have to worry too much about leaches. The shoreline near Site #2 is pretty rocky and probably a good bet. If that campsite is occupied you can walk a bit further east along the shoreline and find other spots to jump in without disturbing the campsite occupants.

Justin is 100% correct about the large snapping turtles and water snakes, though.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:23 PM   #11
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Gordons Gin

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:40 PM   #12
joeDacks

Does anyone know if the mud hole is passable? I know it's been extremely dry this summer and would want to get all the way in with boats and gear.
joeDacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:50 AM   #13
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeDacks View Post
Does anyone know if the mud hole is passable? I know it's been extremely dry this summer and would want to get all the way in with boats and gear.
Assuming you mean for a trip in this weekend.... with the rain in the forecast, I wouldn't just worry about the trip in... But also the trip out.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:35 PM   #14
richard1726

On Isle Royal (Lake Superior) I must have stepped into a nest? and had literally 100s on my lower legs. My Dad said "oh , no big deal,"sprinkled salt on them and they quickly fell off. I did not feel a thing!
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:53 AM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeDacks View Post
I was there last weekend and the water was very low.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote