Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 08:19 AM   #21
MTVhike

Back to your original question, I got a speeding ticket once and the court allowed me to plead down to a parking ticket. That parking violation was for not parking over the white line, and it was $250! Plus costs!
Old 09-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #22
hike53

Next time walk
Old 09-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #23
forest dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hike53 View Post
Next time walk
Well, under the current circumstances...I reckon.

I guess I gambled, hurt noone and nothing, and lost.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #24
Wldrns

What you did hurt is others who obey the law, and the "reputation" of not only yourself but also of other users of the wild places we frequent in out of the way locations, both in the eyes of the DEC and those on this forum. Don't look for a ranger or judge to be so cordial the next time you are caught "not hurting anything". They have your name now.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:09 PM   #25
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

If everyone was left individually in charge of deciding what does and doesn't 'cause harm' I think we would soon descend into chaos. I believe it is important to have rules, even though they may sometimes seem arbitrary to some people, and in order to make the rules be followed a deterrent may be needed. I don't imagine that the sympathy of the court would be increased by hearing your side of the story as you told it here, so I would think maybe it would be just as smart not to go, but I am not a lawyer last time I checked.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #26
backwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
What you did hurt is others who obey the law, and the "reputation" of not only yourself but also of other users of the wild places we frequent in out of the way locations, both in the eyes of the DEC and those on this forum. Don't look for a ranger or judge to be so cordial the next time you are caught "not hurting anything". They have your name now.
I think people are entitled to an occasional error in judgment aren't they ?
Old 09-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #27
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
The Brown Shirts don't care, string them up!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
Old 09-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #28
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
Granted, but I just don't like to hear multiple times that "no one was hurt, a victimless crime, here's my lame excuse to the court" when a law is broken.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #29
Keithk
Keith

As a general rule of thumb...

If you mess up and get caught, have the good sense to accept fault and face the (very mild in this case) consequences.

Bringing attention to yourself in a forum such as this, where you are guaranteed to find no supporters, is just.... odd.
"In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold
Old 09-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #30
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithk View Post
Bringing attention to yourself in a forum such as this, where you are guaranteed to find no supporters, is just.... odd.
Yup. It's also extremely childish and myopic.

I guess I'm not connecting with the OP, but if this was me, i'd be extremely embarrassed of this and I wouldn't be posting about it on a forum.

Last edited by montcalm; 09-16-2020 at 07:47 PM..
Old 09-16-2020, 11:07 PM   #31
Blackflie

I have always stayed out of these types of posts, partly because as a visitor to your part of the world it is none of my business and partly because I have a low tollerence to barrack room lawyers. But that said if I saw a gate that was closed I do not think I would be such a numpty to drive around it. But if I did get nicked for it I would likely say itís a fair cop, you got me bang to rights. If I went on line It would be to say to the world yes I did it , no excuses and let this be a lesson to others donít do it. Oh well nuff said.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:30 AM   #32
backwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithk View Post
If you mess up and get caught, have the good sense to accept fault and face the (very mild in this case) consequences.

He might be a psychology professor using the thread as an example for his class . Psychology 101 , Chapter 1 , page 2 .
Old 09-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #33
Neil
Admin

Some good points have been made and the original post has been addressed, although I didn't see an answer to the actual question re the amount of the fine.

To prevent the thread from going down a well-known slippery slope it's time to put it to rest.