Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2004, 10:01 PM   #21
NYBRAD

I have to agree that the Noonmark is one of THE WORST restaurants I've ever eaten in. I too, gave it about 10 strikes too many, and an Email. There was no response.
It's too bad, it used to be good.

I also would not recommend Cameron’s in LP.

My favorites in Keene and LP have already been disclosed.

In Tupper, the big red family place used to be good, but I think it's closed, along with everything else it seems in Tupper . (If it didn't burn, it closed.)

Carl R's off 87 near Lake george is VERY GOOD! I'll drive for miles to eat there.

I'd like to mention "Nicolas over Main" and "Jimmy's in LP.

Last edited by NYBRAD; 02-06-2004 at 10:17 PM..
NYBRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 11:00 PM   #22
Steve

Great eats and Booze

This winter on the way home from Hunting in the Bog river flow, my buddy (a lease holder down the Sabatis road), and i stopped at the "Old Log Inn" on rte 9 south of Warrensburg and north of Lake George. Had one of the best meals in a while. The steak was cooked right and the sides were excellent. We should have left sooner than we did, but the beer was good and the selection was fine.
Steve P.S. I know the joke, but i remember that as the correct name of the restaurant.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 08:30 PM   #23
Emily

Cheap but decent eats and beer for those who travel the Northway (87) from the south are found at exit 26 in The Black Bear. It is a casual place that I always stop at even when I'm alone (they have a counter). I don't recommend the fried fish but the burgers are fine. It is a local joint with a separate bar and a pool table or two. It's just "down the block, on the corner" from the Mobil gas station that everyone stops at. They also have quick service. Dinner roughly $5-$15.

If you want a step up, there's always the Log Jam off 87 exit 21. They have awsome steak, seafood, wine, beer, etc... The dining is casual and they have free cheese and crackers if you have to wait for a table. It is similar to an Outback Steakhouse but better quality food and amazing desserts. If you couldn't tell from the name, it is very rustic and it is a log building. Dinner roughly $15-$35.

I tried the Noonmark and wasn't impressed. The blackberry pie was awful. The Black Bear in Lake Placid was awful; it was very pricey and the food was not very nice. I went to the Cliffhanger once because it was our party's decision. The pizza was ok. It was the only thing that was appetizing since I'm not a vegetarian. The place is vegetarian and organic. It seems like a climber's hangout - gee, I'd never guess with the name.
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:30 AM   #24
strat

Indian Lake Eats

If you find yourself in Indian Lake looking to eat dinner, don't miss Marty's. It's a Mexican Restaurant next to the movie theater.

They make shredded beef chili in a bread bowl that is sure to re-warm you on a cold day.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:23 PM   #25
adk-46r
IT'S GRACE & CARSON PEAKS

I have got to go along with Willies choice of the Swiss Kitchen in Tupper Lake. Julie's homemade pies are beyond description. Her homemade soups are not bad either. Good food and a great price can't beat that. But seeing I live in the high peaks region I usualy have a meal prepared so when I get home I can heat it up while I am getting clean.. I just can't quite bring myself to go into a crowded restaurant all mud and sweat and making the others suffer from the smell held by the wicking clothing.
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK

Last edited by adk-46r; 02-14-2004 at 11:31 PM..
adk-46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:27 PM   #26
DLHiker

My two cents

Alright, i might as well chime in since no one has named my favorite dig: The Baxter Mtn. Tavern. It's on Rt. 9N about 1 mile from the intersection of 9N and 73 b/n Keene and Keene Valley.

After getting tired of the Noonmark (for many of the same reasons described in this thread), we went looking for an alternative and stumbled into the Baxter Mt. tavern.

Give it a try.

DL
DLHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:29 PM   #27
Trailpatrol

Did somebody say "food"???

The Noonmark has alway had good food at a good price. The resturant in Keene, by the Woodruff Motel was good too. Been almost 17 years, though.

Does anybody know if Wally's is still open in Long Lake? ("The biggies and the smallies all eat all Wally's") My best friend and I used to eat there almost every trip up to the High Peaks. (At least once a month, if not more.) It is the diner on the east side of the bridge, and the south side of 30, where it crosses the Long Lake Narrows. We used to sit on the deck and watch the otters playing on the shore while we ate.

Speaking of Long Lake, I am going to start a thread on Canoeing in another part.

Yeah!
Hans
Old 02-24-2004, 04:40 AM   #28
adk-46r

Wally died maybe about 10 years ago. New people took it over but it wasn't the same. It eventually closed then became a pizza place that also closed. I think it is a realestate place now. I used to eat there all the time during hunting season. Wally put out one hell of a breakfast. I would stop with my daughter for lunch when we went to the beach in long lake. I sure miss the restaurant as well as the motto " the biggies and the smallies all eat at big Wallies."
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK
Old 02-24-2004, 07:59 PM   #29
Wildernessphoto

Re: Adirondack Eats?

Quote:
Originally posted by NukedRocket
Looking for good places to eat in the High Peaks area(s) after a day hike for the wife and I. Doesn't have to be super-fancy, but on the other hand, not some place that's a total dive.

Your input is appreciated
Hi NukedRocket,
2 of my favorites are the "Lumberjack" in Tupper Lake. They put on a good feed for breakfast!

And in Lake Placid, I'll stop for dinner at "Howard Johnson's" for their all you can eat food buffet for $7.99... on Wednesday and Friday they throw in the fish fry for the same price. Not a bad deal!
-Gary-

The Photography of Gary F. Dean

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:42 PM   #30
Trailpatrol

HoJos?

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildernessphoto
And in Lake Placid, I'll stop for dinner at "Howard Johnson's" for their all you can eat food buffet -Gary-
You mean you still have HoJos in New York??? We haven't been to a Howard Johnsons in at least 16 years...no fried clams in sight out here. Whine, whine.

Eat safe,
Hans
Trailpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #31
jhbeckman

Caribbean Cowboy. Fantastic burgers, very good food generally. Full bar. Reasonably priced. Nice crowd, pretty good service. Not fancy. Shares a building with Saranac Sourdough (the Caribbean Cowboy is in the back), on the same side as and just past the Rite-Aid as you go from Lake Placid towards Saranac. Highly recommended
jhbeckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:40 PM   #32
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbeckman
Caribbean Cowboy. Fantastic burgers, very good food generally. Full bar. Reasonably priced. Nice crowd, pretty good service. Not fancy. Shares a building with Saranac Sourdough (the Caribbean Cowboy is in the back), on the same side as and just past the Rite-Aid as you go from Lake Placid towards Saranac. Highly recommended
What are their prices? Problem with Lake Placid is that you can usually get a good $5.00 sandwich for $9.00
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #33
adk-46r

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
What are their prices? Problem with Lake Placid is that you can usually get a good $5.00 sandwich for $9.00
Only $9.00! You must eat at the cheap places in Placid during the off season.
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK
Old 08-26-2005, 09:07 PM   #34
jellen

Noonmark Diner

Came back to LI from a week in the ADKS with my brother, his wife and three girls. We stopped by the Noonmark Diner this morning for breakfast despite all the negative stuff on this forum about it. I used to LOVE their blueberry pancakes and guess what? STILL DO! We had great food and it wasn't expensive. Service was fast and friendly.

Just my 2 cents.
jellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:58 AM   #35
Trailpatrol

Great meal!

Well, I'm back home in MN. On my way back to Syracuse, I stopped at the Buffalo Head Resturant ("Famous for food!") off of Hwy. 28 in Forestport and had a huge meal, well prepared, nicely served and under 20 bucks, with desert! Had the 16 oz. sirloin with salad and potato. It was done the way I wanted it, and the service was great, despite the huge crowd on Friday night. (and I still had enough meat for a sandwich the next evening--I had a cooler.) I know, technically, it's not in the forest preserve, but it's on the primary way in and out for a lot of folks. I'd never been there before and thought it was great.

There was a place in Tupper the night before, but I have to look up the name. It was really good too. I put on some much un-needed weight this trip.

Later,

Hans
Old 08-27-2005, 03:52 PM   #36
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Stop by the Cascade Inn just south of the turnoff to Adirondack Loj. Every Saturday they have an all you can eat prime rib for $17.95. Boy did it taste good a couple of weeks ago after topping off the Macintyre Range.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:44 PM   #37
13331Girl

I just got home last night from a week in the High Peaks----
Here's my 2 cents.....
Jimmy's 21 and Pete's Steakhouse on Main St. in L.P. were awesome- expensive.. But, we had great food and great service.. :headbang:

The Wilderness Inn II had pretty good food. If you had food at the bar it was cheap and a lot of food. For some reason everything was a lot more expensive when you sat in the dining room

Tail of the Pup--- We had an awesome lunch- it was fast and cheap...
The server was a great girl. She had us laughing and she gave us some great trail advice. Best Pulled Pork sandwich I have ever had.

Lisa G's was cool- we did a lot of :drink: and everyone there was extremely friendly and fun. We actually came home with money too.

Now if your in the Old Forge/EagleBay/Inlet area---
Go to the Eagle's Nest...
It looks like an old Motel ( it is! They're fixing up as they go)
The bar and restraunt are awesome...
Bruce is the bartender... He's a lot of fun and he's very knowledgable about the area.
We had three awesome meals last weekend. We had meals, apps and drinks and spent less than $15 a person.

OK, that's my 2 pennies..
JULES
Old 10-03-2005, 11:01 PM   #38
johnstp

Here's my list...

Keene Valley
Cliffhanger Cafe (lunch)
Noon Mark (breakfast - as long as you have the time - make sure you get the strawberry jam with the toast)

Between Keene and Keene Valley
Baxter Mountain Tavern - on Rte. 9N just over the top of the hill heading toward Elizabethtown - order the Baxter Mountain Burger

Lake Placid
LP Pub & Brewery
Jimmy's 21

Ausable Forks
Wobbly Moose - Excellent BBQ and fries
Trevy Gs - Suprisingly good pizza
johnstp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:53 AM   #39
Trailpatrol

Mountain View?

There used to be a cafe on the south side of the intersection of 9 and 9N in Elizabethtown. I used to like to eat there when we had our cabin in Moriah. I think it was called the Mountain View Cafe. (I know; there is one by the same name in Willsboro.) Is it still there? Or is it a real estate office like Wally's. too. Unlike the Noonmark, it had lots of room and better prices, too. The food was typical diner stuff, but it was pretty good.

Also, in Port Henry, on the Broad Street was a really good pizza place, just before you head down the hill (heading east) toward the lake.

Didn't get to that part of the Adirondacks in August. Maybe next time.

Hans
Old 10-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #40
AdkWiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondak100
There is a place near Chestertown I have not found yet, nut have heard great things about, It is called "The Place". I f anyone knows anything about it please share.

Mike
The place is excelent mike. I have been there many times, my parents use to own a littel place in chestertown. when you drive through chestertown and where 9 meets 8 you take a left and keep driving it will be down on the left. It has a generic sign that says the place. Cant miss it! Well i guessu can if my directions are wrong!
AdkWiley is offline   Reply With Quote