Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2021, 08:15 PM   #21
montcalm
Mobster

I have a whistle.

I'm not anti-gun, but I never really felt I had a need for one. If I was going to kill a deer or a bear I'd have no problem carrying a gun. I've hunted and grown up around it, but I don't now, so a gun seems unnecessary.

If I lived where grizzlies were a real threat, I would carry a side arm and keep sharp with being quick on the trigger, especially in the fall.

Not much worried about cats because I think if they want to kill you, they will and you won't be able to prevent it. They aren't going to face you down, that's not how they hunt.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:51 PM   #22
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

A hungry mountain lion has been known to face people down and attack. Lucky for you they are not prevalent in your area. Your choice to not be armed is entirely up to you. However, I gave several reasons why a single person in a wilderness setting could benefit from having a firearm along. At least maybe carry a good knife but a good knife cannot alert others to respond to emergency needs. Of course being properly trained in the safe and responsible care of a firearm is highly recommended and having a carry permit would make it legal.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #23
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
A hungry mountain lion has been known to face people down and attack. Lucky for you they are not prevalent in your area. Your choice to not be armed is entirely up to you. However, I gave several reasons why a single person in a wilderness setting could benefit from having a firearm along. At least maybe carry a good knife but a good knife cannot alert others to respond to emergency needs. Of course being properly trained in the safe and responsible care of a firearm is highly recommended and having a carry permit would make it legal.
Schultzzy- I just travel with someone who is a slower runner than myself.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:47 PM   #24
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Schultzzy- I just travel with someone who is a slower runner than myself.
Hey Glen, Great to hear from you. Are you still hammering the false Albacore near Montauk? Lots of BIG sharks up that way, why they don't come into the Sound I don't understand maybe because there's no more fish to follow in. We used to catch loads of fish off Charles Island but now they're few and far between. Sand sharks and an occasional Black Tip shark, but the Big Stripers are in the Housatonic. Slower runner? Whoinell can run? Take care!
Old 07-16-2021, 10:50 AM   #25
montcalm
Mobster

Schultzz - my greatest fear out in the wilds is not being mauled by a bear or pounced by a kitty, but getting a kidney stone! Particularly one that is stuck and won't pass on its own.

In which case, if I blow my whistle and you come with your gun, please have Toradol - preferably in IV form - or discharge your weapon and put me out of my misery.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #26
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Schultzz - my greatest fear out in the wilds is not being mauled by a bear or pounced by a kitty, but getting a kidney stone! Particularly one that is stuck and won't pass on its own.

In which case, if I blow my whistle and you come with your gun, please have Toradol - preferably in IV form - or discharge your weapon and put me out of my misery.
Okay Monty, I catch your drift.
Fortunately I have never experienced anything like that, I hope your cell phone works if you need help or we will rename that trail in your honor.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:13 AM   #27
Banjoe

On a trip to the White Mountains, my wife and I climbed Madison and Adams without incident. The next day I got up, climbed a tree by our cottage to watch the sunrise over the same mountains, took a walk for a view of them and then sat down to eat breakfast. I started to notice a little cramp that wouldn't go away, and within a half-hour I was on my knees. I think I might have begged her to shoot me. A trip to the ER, where they diagnosed my kidney stone based on how I walked in the door, several shots of Fentanyl to "manage" the pain, and it passed. I walked out of the hospital smiling and declaring the staff miracle workers.

The next day we climbed some easier 4000' mountains and wouldn't you know it, I had another mishap.

It's tough out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5399 copy 3.jpg (120.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5417 copy 3.jpg (108.0 KB, 114 views)
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #28
montcalm
Mobster

Ahhaha!

Yeah, it is tough...

Mine went something like this:

About 4pm at work I feel this sharp pinch in my back. My stomach sinks, I turn pale and hunch over in pain. After the initial blow it feels like a hot sword is being thrust through my abdomen. People instantly notice and I'm dismissed.

I call my wife because I can barely walk, let alone drive. The hospital is only 10-15 min away but it seemed like an eternity. Every turn and bump in the road I'm writhing in pain.

I remember the walk into the hospital because it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I'm immediately admitted into triage due to my state and my heart rate is around 180 and my blood pressure is extremely high.

First pass of narcotics do nothing except make me vomit a whole meatball sub which I had eaten for lunch. They hadn't given me a pan to vomit in but I found a nearby garbage can and had probably the second worst experience of the day.

After that it was into scanners to verify my symptoms were actually a stone. I'm still in excruciating pain and blacking out for a few minutes here and there, only to come to and be poked and prodded.

Finally the IV of Toradol came, what seemed like years later, and my pain stopped. But it was only temporary. What they had found was that I had a large stone wedged at the exit of my kidney and start of the ureter which had not only caused renal colic but was extremely swollen. No hope of it passing on its own. In to surgery to get a stent.

Then it was a month of debilitating pain, especially when urinating until the swelling went down enough that they could go in and break it up with another surgery.

It was the worst...
Old 07-17-2021, 02:49 PM   #29
Glen
Check please

I’ve had several episodes with kidney stones. All I can say is I hear ya!
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #30
JimVroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Hey Glen, Great to hear from you. Are you still hammering the false Albacore near Montauk? Lots of BIG sharks up that way, why they don't come into the Sound I don't understand maybe because there's no more fish to follow in. We used to catch loads of fish off Charles Island but now they're few and far between. Sand sharks and an occasional Black Tip shark, but the Big Stripers are in the Housatonic. Slower runner? Whoinell can run? Take care!
Is there a laugh option???
JimVroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:39 PM   #31
shawil527

Funny this topic has come up again. I saw pretty compelling trail cam photos of 2 young Mountain Lions in Schroon Lake in 2019.
https://www.whec.com/news/fact-check...parma/6187849/
shawil527 is offline   Reply With Quote