No announcement yet.

Feral hogs in Upstate NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought, would wolves or mountain Lions control the feral hog and/or coyote population?

Comment

Florida panthers definitely prey on hogs in southern Florida. In the 1930s, according to the late David Maehr, the government sponsored a deer-eradication program in an effort to eliminate tick fever, which infected cattle. Deer numbers were greatly reduced in panther range. Maehr believed that panthers might have become extinct but for the presence of hogs as an alternative food source.

Mountain lions prey on hogs in coastal California but no one claims they are controlling their numbers.

In the book DREAMING OF WOLVES: ADVENTURES IN THE CARPATHIAN MOUNTAINS OF TRANSYLVANIA by Alan E. Sparks, I learned that hogs are the principal prey of wolves in Romania. (Hogs are native to Eurasia.)

Cougars and wolves would probably impact the behavior of hogs (as they affect the behavior of deer and elk in the West), but might not reduce their numbers.

Comment

From what I've read, reducing their numbers via hunting doesn't work because of their rapid reproduction rate. Sort of like trying to bail a leaky boat with a shot glass. I'm a hunter and would love the opportunity to hunt them, but that doesn't mean I want them around. They will do far more harm (both to other wildlife and crops) than good. Seems like invasive species are coming at us from land, air, and sea. NYS is slow to react to prevent them in most cases.

Comment

Apologies for resurrecting this ancient thread. I was driving back from the Catskills (specifically Monticello) and came across a Wild Boar carcass on side of Highway 17. Clear as day. I was under the impression that they had been eradicated from the State, but clearly they’re still present. Not ADK related I know but figured I would post about my sighting.

Comment

That's very interesting. They are great eating. They are also great at eating everything and anything edible. they aren't fussy.
            Did you get any photos?

Comment

Originally posted by smr220 View Post
              Apologies for resurrecting this ancient thread. I was driving back from the Catskills (specifically Monticello) and came across a Wild Boar carcass on side of Highway 17. Clear as day. I was under the impression that they had been eradicated from the State, but clearly they’re still present. Not ADK related I know but figured I would post about my sighting.
              If it was around Rock Hill / Neversink river area, there are several private "game preserves" near there - most likely an escapee.

Eradicating wild boars is a whack a mole game - when they don't see any more animals or signs for a while, declare them gone (doesn't mean they got all of them though as some could've dispersed / moved on).
              Feverishly avoiding "a steady stream of humanity, with a view that offers little more than butts, boots, elbows and backsides". (description quote from Joe Hackett)

Comment

Are those 'preserve' hogs tagged/marked in any manner?

Comment

From 2014

Comment

Originally posted by backwoodsman View Post
                    Interesting article. Kind of strange though, coyote hunting is allowed though its a fact the more hunting pressure they get the larger the litters they have.
                    I realize a hog can do more damage, especially on animals and crops the coyote would not.
                    I didn't realize 'Preserve Hunting' wouldn't be/isn't allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodly View Post
                      Are those 'preserve' hogs tagged/marked in any manner?
                      That would be a question for preserve managers, I've only seen the outside of their fences from public highway.

Practically, It'd be difficult if not near impossible to tag / brand feral hogs on a preserve unless they had a farm operation with only sterilized pigs being released.

Likewise, even if hogs are/were prohibited - the only way to rid a preserve of existing population would be to kill all of those they had before the ban.
                      Feverishly avoiding "a steady stream of humanity, with a view that offers little more than butts, boots, elbows and backsides". (description quote from Joe Hackett)

Comment

Originally posted by Woodly View Post
                        Interesting article. Kind of strange though, coyote hunting is allowed though its a fact the more hunting pressure they get the larger the litters they have.
                        I realize a hog can do more damage, especially on animals and crops the coyote would not.
                        I didn't realize 'Preserve Hunting' wouldn't be/isn't allowed.
                        I don't think Feral Hogs have been known to go after small children and pet dogs in suburban areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky13 View Post
                          I don't think Feral Hogs have been known to go after small children and pet dogs in suburban areas.
                          I think they would. They aren't particular and can be quite ornery. But 'suburban area' might limit that.

Comment

But coyotes have done that, and very close to the cities. And Feral Hogs don't eat deer that are still "on the hoof."

Comment

Hogs do eat fawns on the hoof...and mama is defenseless.
                              No doubt about the coyotes-heck they're living IN cities now and any smaller critter is fair game...and many larger critters are too.

Comment

"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him.
                                Henry David Thoreau

I tried that today and the SOB tried to bite me. A Bulldog no less so I call that Bull $hit.
                                Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X