X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eddogg12 View Post
    ....Hawk is going Public Already?
    You want a piece?
    "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Just got back from 3 days in the ADKs. After picking up the Cowboy Pasta and Shrimp Cappelini from Hawk on Wednesday- guess what I had for dinner Wed. and Thurs. nights?

I can testify that this is "real food" and not like something you'd get from Mountain House, et al.......and portions were very generous, I thought. What also jumps out (for me) is the stark comparison between Hawk vittles taste vs. sodium-loaded pre-packaged stuff. If I WANT sodium loaded, I'll do it myself.

Good stuff and highly recommended......I will be back for more, including for my 10 days out in the Idaho wilderness later this year.
      Last edited by poconoron; 05-05-2007, 03:55 PM.
      Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
        I will be trying some of Hawk's Vittles this weekend in the FLNF. I will also post a review.

When I first received my order from Hawk, I split up packages into single servings and wrote directions on the ziploc with a sharpie.

After setting up my base site, I made a quick lunch of Hawk's Backpackers Potatoes Plus. The small bits of potato broke down into a seasoned stewlike broth which contained the larger pieces of potato, beans and onions. The meal was perfectly seasoned, I did not need to add any salt or pepper. I likened it to a potato and bean chowder. The half serving filled me up and provided enough energy for my 3 hour hike.

After my hike I still wasn't too hungry, the potatoes apparently were still providing me with energy but I really wanted to try Hawk's Spicy Chicken. Like with the potatoes I used only half it came to a boil in no time and absorbed all the water. The vermicelli maintained it's texture and the "sauce" was seasoned appropriately. It wasn't too hot for those who have an aversion to spice. Maybe Hawk will have different "heat" ratios in the future. Another excellent meal.

Way to go Hawk. Thanks.
        "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Yes I can change the degree of "spiciness" as far as heat goes, either less or more. I can also omit certain ingredients for those who are allergic or don't care for them, like say mushrooms. There may be a little delay in delivery for special orders.

I am open to any suggestions from anyone about menu items, packaging, etc.

Anyone who wants to be emailed catalog revisions as well as a periodic newsletter can subscribe by emailing hawkvittles@gmail.com
          Just type "subscribe" into the subject

Of course the list will not be used for anything except the newsletter or catalog.

I'm working on snacks and crackers and desserts to add to the choices in the future.

Thanks again

Hawk
          "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Redhawk-
            This may have already been discussed, but do you do Paypal?
            *************ENDLESS WINTER**************

Comment

Originally posted by adkdremn View Post
              Redhawk-
              yes he does
              "I can enjoy society in a room; but out of doors, nature is company enough for me."

Comment

Redhawk-
                Yes.

But since I operate at a low profit margin, add $.30 plus 2.9% of the order, which is what is costs me for a Paypal transaction.

Comment

Last chance for any orders of what I have in stock until I return from South Dakota..

Hawk
                  Last edited by redhawk; 05-14-2007, 10:26 AM.

Comment

When is return date from S. Dakota?
                    Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Originally posted by poconoron View Post
                      When is return date from S. Dakota?
                      June 3rd or 4th

Comment

Hawk-
                        What size pot or pan are your meals best prepared in?
                        *************ENDLESS WINTER**************

Comment

Hawk-
                          What size pot or pan are your meals best prepared in?
                          one liter.

Actually it's best to just cover them with water and add more as necessary. I dehydrate real dry so they an be stored without refrigeration or freezing. Some people like things a little soupier, some a little firmer.

In general, the instructions on the label in a one liter pot should work for most people.

Hawk

Comment

I wont speak for Hawk, but I do these same meals for myself and 30 others for a week annually for trek leader training. From my experience it is far better to make the food wetter than drier. You would be surprised how much water you have to add, at first you will think it is way too much. I usually quickly check at 10 minutes to be sure it is still plenty wet. In another 10-15 minutes it is done. If you have used a cozy it will still be too hot to eat without blowing on it first. You will not like it if it is too dry and not properly hydrated. In the rare cases where you might add too much water, just call it soup and it is good.
                            "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                              I wont speak for Hawk, but I do these same meals for myself and 30 others for a week annually for trek leader training. From my experience it is far better to make the food wetter than drier. You would be surprised how much water you have to add, at first you will think it is way too much. I usually quickly check at 10 minutes to be sure it is still plenty wet. In another 10-15 minutes it is done. If you have used a cozy it will still be too hot to eat without blowing on it first. You will not like it if it is too dry and not properly hydrated. In the rare cases where you might add too much water, just call it soup and it is good.
                              By the time 10 minutes have gone by, the hawk vittles should be on their way down the digestive track....Cover with water, boil, stir and serve. On rare occasions it might have to soak for a few minutes.

And your right, most meals, too much water and you have broth, or you can just boil off the excess.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk View Post
                                By the time 10 minutes have gone by, the hawk vittles should be on their way down the digestive track....Cover with water, boil, stir and serve. On rare occasions it might have to soak for a few minutes.

And your right, most meals, too much water and you have broth, or you can just boil off the excess.
                                Oh, I forgot to mention I don't follow Linda's rehydradion method exactly. I boil water and pour it on the food, either in a cozied pot, or right in a freezer weight zip-lock bag placed in a cozy. That way there is no cook pot clean up or danger of burning while bringing to a boil. In a ziplock there is zero clean up if you lick your spoon clean. My method does require sitting in a cozy for 20 minutes but I prefer not having to watch a pot of food while I set up camp or whatever. Personal preference - Either way it all comes out the same in the end.
                                "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Working...
                                X