Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
Buckladd

2020 Hunting Season

Thought I'd get this started. I hope everyone is getting ready, if not out already doing some bowhunting or after small game. I've been out a few times but this weekend is camp/work/meeting weekend. This week was pretty warm and the deer didn't seem to move much. But on Wednesday I got three different bucks on this camera, all in the afternoon. Not sure if it was the front passing, or the moon? Too bad I was working, but I'm taking a kid to this spot next weekend for the youth hunt. Good luck everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EK000020 2.JPG (45.7 KB, 583 views)
Old 10-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
Edb 46 er

I second, "Good luck to all". I am heading into the bow-stand this evening and will hopefully be taking my first deer to Miller's Meat Mkt. Monday morning. I think I will try some of their Charcuterie this year.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #3
Woodly

Nice buck just waiting for your young friend ED
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #4
Wldrns

On the way to and through Old Forge this morning, I had to slow three times for deer on the edge of the highway with bad intentions. Returning south through town, traffic was backed up to beyond the E.F. and to the theater in the other direction for a doe followed too many seconds later by an almost unseen fawn both slowly strolling without a care in the world, actually in the crosswalk, near Slickers restaurant. Further on, two more deer encounters in town before I got to Thendara. Nothing unusual really, for Old Forge. It is a running joke that the local street wandering deer are on the payroll of the O.F. Chamber of Commerce, for the benefit of attracting and amusing the out of town tourists.

My wife wanted me to stop at the HW store to get a new 2021 calendar on my way. It was like city traffic driving through town today, not an open parking spot to be had, people (and deer) jay-walking across the street everywhere. Finally found a lone spot near the HW store but some jerk with PA plates grabbed it before I could turn around to it. Could hardly move through the thick crowd of closely spaced mask wearers within the store.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
.. and will hopefully be taking my first deer to Miller's Meat Mkt. Monday morning.
I love their meat rub. We have a friend who lives in Carthage and hunts with us a weekend or two a year and he always brings me over a container of it. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #6
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I love their meat rub. We have a friend who lives in Carthage and hunts with us a weekend or two a year and he always brings me over a container of it. Good luck!
Good luck to you too, and thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #7
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
I had two mornings and evenings on the stand. The rain made things a bit better in the woods. I took a mid-morning stroll and saw some good sign. Still, visibility is covered in canopy of leaves. I enjoy sitting in my stand this part of the season. So, relaxing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2020, 09:26 PM   #8
bobadkhunter

After having 3 different bucks pics on my trail cameras back in late May/mid June(one a real slammer), i went thru a buck dry spell on the cameras until last weeks check in which i had a nice spike and 3 mature bucks(appeared to be 7,8,8 pt), along with 3 bull moose of 3 different age classes, along with several does/fawns. As Dan stated i think the buck movement was prompted by a front or moon phase change. This property is located between Long Lake and Tupper Lake. I definitely know where i'll be sitting when i start hunting(new setup). Good luck all.
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:59 PM   #9
Buckladd

Quite the series of events the past few days. Saturday and Sunday morning I spent with a 14 year old. The first day he forgot his license and had to go back and get it. We were late and walked past my trail camera around 7:10am. When I checked it today an 8-pointer had gone by at 6:43! Before legal shooting light, but if we'd gotten in earlier who knows what would've happened? He got a doe in the farm country with his uncle, so I'm happy and proud for him.

Today was opening day of NZ x-bow season. I saw thee does this morning and three more tonight, which came out after I dusted a turkey with the x-bow. That was pretty cool, as today was the last day of NZ turkey season. I couldn't pass it up. Breasts on the grill soon! No sign of the 8-pt, or other bucks. But I intend to hunt this property during the week and head north on weekends.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:50 AM   #10
sleepy

Was all set to get in some bow hunting in this year, but last minute request to go out to California and help with the wildfires put an end to my plans. Can't wait to get back. Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camp picture.jpg (81.3 KB, 406 views)
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:39 PM   #11
Stillhunter

Drove up to one of my central adirondack spots last Tuesday 10/13. Checked out a spot that we intend to camp at on opening weekend. Found some sign... tracks and a couple rubs. Put out a trail camera on one of the rubs which is on a trail. Hiked about 2.5 miles just to stretch the old muscles. Felt good to be back. Looking forward to next weekend and opening of rifle.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #12
Cpswing555

We got up about two weeks ago and took a nice hike. We saw a lot of turkeys along the road all the way up, the old forge deer were out, and several deer near blue lake beside the road. No deer deer sign anywhere near camp. Will make the next trek on the weekend of the 14th. Until then i will watch to see all of your reports and stories.

Shoot Straight
CP
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:34 AM   #13
St.Regis

I saw two does on the opener of muzz. I didn't notice any scrapes on the way in to the stand, but a lot of leaves came down a couple days before and I didn't wander around too much. I'll be back in the woods mid week, then next Sat for the regular season opener. Be safe and good luck to all
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:41 PM   #14
Buckladd

We had a good day on Saturday. My cousin, who just turned 21, got a nice 9-pointer. Overall, we did not see a lot of deer or sign. Heard some shots Saturday morning, not much Sunday. The buck's belly was full of acorns.

https://secureservercdn.net/166.62.1...ristian-MZ.JPG
Old 10-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #15
Stillhunter

Nice picture of the successful hunter and crew on a nice autumn day.
A memory that will last forever!
Old 10-26-2020, 11:55 PM   #16
Stillhunter

Well we had a nice opening weekend. Tent hunted in the central Adirondacks. Arrived mid afternoon on Friday. Temps were low 70's! Packed our belongings in to the spot I looked at a week earlier. Very warm day to setup our light tents and relax on Friday evening by the campfire in shirtsleeves. Saturday morning hunted in a light rain that ended around 10:30. One hunter in our group missed a running coyote. Another jumped 2 does. Another jumped one and had another blow at him but neither deer was seen. Sunday was cold to start out, about 27 degrees and clear. No deer encounters on Sunday. Some fresh ground scrapes were observed on Sunday morning that were not there Saturday, a good sign. Short but fun weekend. Felt good to camp again. Next trip will be early November.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #17
Mallard1100

[IMG][/IMG]

I was not up at camp in Long Lake this past weekend but the guys scored on a opening weekend 8pt.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #18
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard1100 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

I was not up at camp in Long Lake this past weekend but the guys scored on a opening weekend 8pt.
Awesome, we had some luck too. Another one of our young guys, 21, got a nice buck; a 173-pound, 6-pointer. Five of us got it out, about 2 miles, just before dark. Good way to start the season.

Raining acorns in our area, saw several scrapes and a few rubs. Maybe some snow on the way for some of us!
Old 10-28-2020, 09:29 PM   #19
Cpswing555

nice buck Mallard. What did it weigh? was thinking about heading up that way to look at some property just before long lake in a few weeks.
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #20
Mallard1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpswing555 View Post
nice buck Mallard. What did it weigh? was thinking about heading up that way to look at some property just before long lake in a few weeks.
Not sure CP I wasn’t in camp. Not positive if they got a weight or not. Good luck this season.
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote