Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
AdkHikerKid

Seward, Donaldson and Emmons

Hello! I plan on hiking the rest of the Seward range soon, as I already did Seymour earlier last year, so i need to finish up the Range. I was wondering if anyone had any information regrading the Calkins Brook Trail to do these hikes. Also, if anyone knows of an easier trail to do just these 3 hikes, and if i can pull it off in a day hike or an overnight. Thanks in advance-any information will be extremely helpful!!! Thanks.
AdkHikerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Doing S, D, and E as a day hike really isn't too much harder than doing them as an overnight trip. IMO, the main reason to do them as an overnight is so that you can do Seymour by itself on a separate day, which isn't an issue for you. All of the added mileage by doing them as a day hike is pretty flat and easy going.

IMO, the best way to day hike just S/D/E is as a loop- either go up the north side of Seward and come down the Calkins Brook Path, or vice versa. You'll get mixed commentary on which direction is better- but the north side of Seward is much steeper and more rugged than the Calkins Brook Path.

If you do decide to do them as an overnight, you'll have to choose whether you want to camp at the lean-tos on the north side of the range, or somewhere near Calkins Brook. The lean-tos on the north side tend to be pretty popular, but I've never seen all 4 fill up (usually Blueberry and Ward Brook are occupied most weekends, but Camp 4 is generally open). There are also two designated tent sites in the vicinity of the Ward Brook lean-to.

Please note that the several obvious sites along the first half mile of the Calkins Brook herd path are all illegal sites, as is the clearing where the herd path leaves the truck trail (all are too close to the stream and none are designated). If you bushwhack around near the start of the herd path, you can find good flat ground for camping primitively 150+ feet from the trail and water without too much difficulty.

Personally, if/when I go back to do S/D/E again as an overnight, I'll probably stay at the Calkins Brook lean-tos to the south of the Calkins Brook herd path. This does add several miles in approach to the range before you begin ascending the herd path, but it's all flat and easy hiking on an old state truck trail. The lean-tos are situated in a pretty little clearing alongside the brook, and they get very little use.

Hope that helps.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
adkjack
Admin

Doing an out and back via the Calkins brook is probably the easiest way to go from my experience. If you hike at a moderate pace hitting all three in a day is very do-able especially in summer. I usually top of my water at the calkins brook crossing or the first trib crossing higher up. There is no immediately available water source on the ridge.
Have fun
"Climbing is about freedom. There's no prize money; there are no gold medals. The mountains are all about going there to do what you want to do. That's why I'll never tell anyone else how to climb. All I can say is, This is how I prefer to do it."
Ed Viesturs
adkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

S, D, and E via Calkins Brook is a full but very doable day hike. With these dry conditions, it is probably a great time to do this hike.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
AdkHikerKid

thanks
You live one. - Anonymous
AdkHikerKid is offline   Reply With Quote