Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
Dave Bourque
Footslogger

Garden Parking

This will complicate things this summer. 7pm last call on the shuttle is a bit early during the summer season. They mention that even pedestrians are not allowed access. I wonder what's going to happen when people miss the last shuttle and walk into Keene Valley?

https://www.adk.org/the-garden-parki...r-summer-2019/
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #2

Wow, that will be a mess, and put even more pressure on other trails in the area. Maybe the summer I revisit the Sewards and Santas...
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
Dave Bourque
Footslogger

Agreed. For me, this is a perfect excuse to visit other areas. I will avoid this trailhead this summer. Everyone should note that this will also put more pressure on the Ausable Club (AMR) trailheads and the parking issues there. The parking issues are going to cascade down through-out the High Peaks.

Last edited by Dave Bourque; 04-05-2019 at 11:55 AM..
Old 03-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
Green Drake

Sorry, park's closed. The moose out front should have told you.
Green Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:41 AM   #5
rbi99

I can't even imagine starting a hike with 30 or so other people all heading in the same general direction at the same time. Heck, just signing into the register will be a genuine pain in the butt.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:47 AM   #6
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Drake View Post
Sorry, park's closed. The moose out front should have told you.
Perfect!
Old 03-28-2019, 08:15 AM   #7
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbi99 View Post
I can't even imagine starting a hike with 30 or so other people all heading in the same general direction at the same time. Heck, just signing into the register will be a genuine pain in the butt.
Which, of course, is why I have always liked visiting places like the Pepperbox.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bourque View Post
Agreed. For me, this is a perfect excuse to visit other areas. I will avoid this trailhead this summer. Everyone should note that this will also put more pressure on the Ausable Club (AMR) trailheads and the parking issues there. The parking issues are going to cascade down though-out the High Peaks.
It'll ruin/put pressure on many areas. Heck last year I was on Catamount with 20+ people and it just isn't that big. I use to have it alone. I can imagine 40+ a day and that will happen elsewhere too.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #9

All the more reason to try to build additional trails with nice views and big peaks. My personal pet project is the "Little Range Trail": Does not exist, but would run north from Pillsbury over Blue Ridge, Lewey and Snowy, with possible extension to Squaw. Would be cool addition to the already nice selection of trails in the park, but appeal to those looking to be up on a ridge. No 46r, which I know reduces the allure for some...
Old 03-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #10
richard1726

Sounds to me like a wonderful $$$ opportunity for the Sr & Jr Classes of Keene Central School.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1726 View Post
Sounds to me like a wonderful $$$ opportunity for the Sr & Jr Classes of Keene Central School.
What will they do, hold a bake sale? Seems like the $10 pp goes to expenses (plowing, etc).

Build a gondola from the airport to the Garden. Easy peasy. Quiet, no greenhouse gasses...
Old 04-04-2019, 08:15 AM   #12
rbi99

Other then "this summer", has there been any indication of when the bridge repairs will actually start and hopefully be completed?
Old 04-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
Festus

The town hopes to start in mid/late April. The plan is to re-open early August and finish up by late August (goal is to be out of there before Labor Day - crazy season).
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #14
Dave Bourque
Footslogger

From the NYSDEC website;

Garden Trailhead Parking Lot Closed Spring and Summer 2019
The parking lot at the Garden Trailhead - one of the main access points to the eastern High Peaks Wilderness - will be closed during the spring and summer of 2019 due to the replacement of the Johns Brook Bridge.
Work on installing the replacement bridge will begin as soon as weather and road conditions allow and is expected to last through the summer.
Once work begins no vehicles or pedestrians will be able to pass the bridge to access the parking lot until the work is complete.
During this time, the only way to access the Garden Trailhead is by using the shuttle from the Marcy Field.
The shuttle will use a detour across private property that is closed to the public.
Driving, biking, or walking on the detour road is prohibited - violators will be charged with trespassing.
Public use of the private roadway could lead to loss of access by the shuttle and no means of accessing the trailhead.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #15
tenderfoot

If this increases traffic at other sites I am really concerned about AMR. I feel they are extremely generous allowing me to traipse through their beautiful community to get to Lake Road, and then of course Lake road itself. If I am an AMR member out enjoying the golf course, or front porch of club house seeing one or two hikers may add to the ambiance. Seeing a herd, even a well behaved conscientious herd, hike through may put a strain on that.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #16
AvalanchePass

Not sure this will be quite the disaster people are predicting.

Crowds are only an issue on the w/e's. And on the w/e the parking lot fills up early anyway so most people are already using the shuttle.

I normally drop the family at The Garden and then drive out to the airfield to catch the shuttle. Saves us $40 and puts less stress on the shuttle. But my observation was that most groups don't do this, they seem to all board the shuttle together.

Would be nice if they offered a $20 family rate for the shuttle.
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #17
gebbyfish

Not sure how it won't be a disaster. I just saw that the shuttle will not be running every day of the week and one of those days it won't be running is on Sunday. Yikes! If it is not running, you are not allowed to be on the trailhead or in that area. Hooboy. Glad I'm finished!
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #18
rdl

The town is actively trying to find more drivers, so the shuttle schedule could change for the better.

Last edited by rdl; 04-09-2019 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: clarify post
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #19
TCD

Because there has been so much additional discussion on this and related topics, and because various versions of this information have been posted from various sources, I am reposting here the text of the Town of Keene Press Release regarding the Garden.

I volunteered to help make sure that this information is widely disseminated. (If a lot of people show up this summer and find this out by surprise, that will increase the potential for problems.)

Thank you.

Press Release:

The Garden Parking Lot in Keene Valley will be Closed for Summer 2019

The Garden Parking Lot at the Garden Trailhead – one of the main access points to the eastern High Peak Wilderness – will be closed to public motor vehicles during the spring and summer of 2019 due to the replacement of the Johns Brook Bridge. Construction of the replacement bridge, located in Keene Valley, Essex County, will begin as soon as weather and road conditions allow and is expected to last through the summer. No vehicles or pedestrians will be able to pass the bridge once construction is started through completion of the project.

Hikers and backpackers may gain access to the Garden Trailhead by parking at Marcy Field Parking Lot and using the Town of Keene Shuttle. The bus will transport hikers between the parking lot and the trail head. This will be the only means for accessing the Garden Trailhead during the closure period.

The Town of Keene plans to operate the Shuttle from 7 am to 7 pm seven days a week. The cost will be $10 round-trip per person ($13 Canadian). However, due to the current lack of bus drivers this schedule may be reduced. Please check the town website for up-to-date shuttle schedules.

The Town is working closely with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and the Adirondack Mountain Club to help inform hikers and provide them with information about the closure, the shuttle, and alternative hikes in the area.

The Town recognizes that this is a major disruption during the nicest hiking weather, but the bridge replacement is a critical public safety issue. The current bridge is in such poor shape that plow trucks, fire trucks, and ambulances cannot use it.

Please respect the closure, no parking signs, and private property. Don’t park or walk on private property to gain access. There will be posted No Parking areas along Adirondack St., Market St., and Johns Brook Rd. Illegally parked cars will be towed.

The Town of Keene appreciates the public’s patience and understanding in this matter. Please see our website for shuttle information and other hikes in the Keene area.

https://www.townofkeeneny.com/2019-g...le-information
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #20
forgedin78

Im still wondering what happens in the scenario where you are in the woods longer than planned, and miss the last shuttle?
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote