Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
Northcountryman

The Great Camps - White Pine Camp off Osgood Pond

Hello all ;

Anyone ever been to that White Pine Camp Off Osgood Pond in the northern Section( at least I think itís called that ) . Iíve driven past it hundreds of times and have fished the Osgood River since a kid but Iíve never been to the camp , which I understand used to be owned and frequented by former President Coolidge . Would love to start a discussion regarding this great camp 😊
Northcountryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
Wldrns

I and 15 members of my family spent the night of Y2K there. My brother and his wife spent many other visits in one of the smaller cabins (the Hermits cabin was the favorite). He decided to rent both sides of the entire large Coolidge lodge for the family for a couple of days to celebrate the passing of the 20th century. it was great. The very nice caretaker at the time was extremely worried at what would happen with all the then hype of computer failures. She asked what GMT was, as that is the time most major systems were based from, such as the power grid. We were asked to fill the bath tubs with water in preparation. I discovered where the main power circuit breaker panel was in the basement. Always a prankster, especially with my brother and niece, at exactly 7:00 pm (0000 GMT 01 Jan 2000) I flipped the power off to hear the audible "oh no, it really happened" from my brother and everyone else above. My niece happened to be in the bathroom directly above me at the time, and I heard her immediately exclaim my name, as if she knew exactly what I had done.

Other summertime visits were very nice as well, with my large voyageur canoe taking trips on the lake and river with family.

Unfortunately there was a recent fire at WPC a few monhts ago, with damage to the maintenance facility building and what was once used as a dormitory. AFAIK, the rental lodges and camps were not affected.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:31 AM   #3
Northcountryman

Really , did you fish the pond ? Always wanted to , maybe this fall ��
Old 08-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #4
Northcountryman

BTW, is there a way to always post a favorite quote automatically with each post you make ? I like your quote and would like to do that myself but don’t know how . You don’t have to repost the quote each time with every post do you ?
Old 08-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #5
Blackflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcountryman View Post
BTW, is there a way to always post a favorite quote automatically with each post you make ? I like your quote and would like to do that myself but donít know how . You donít have to repost the quote each time with every post do you ?
click on user CP Top left of the screen. and select edit signature, you should be able to add words of your choice.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #6
Tug Hill

I think it belonged to Coolidge, and then he donated it to Paul Smiths College. It was the White Pine Campus. Paul’s Smith’s had the main campus, White Pine Campus and Gabriel’s Campus the Former TB sanitarium. When I was at PSC, 71-73, the White Piners were a privileged few and wore jackets that said White Piners.

Most of us that were on the main and Gabriel’s Campuses , never cared much for the White Piners.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #7
Northcountryman

Oh, so Coolidge owned the camp? Do you know who built it ?
Old 08-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #8
Tug Hill

No, I do not know who built it.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #9
Northcountryman

Be interesting to find out ; I’m gonna look into it
Old 08-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #10
WBB

Never owned by President Coolidge

https://www.whitepinecamp.com/welcome.html
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote