No announcement yet.

2016 Whitetail season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Chaser on the temps. We went up to our camp last summer to do some work and between the heat and insects it was miserable. Other than a trip or two to mow the lawn and burn some gunpowder, it's much more pleasant in wood stove weather.
    Attached Files
    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I agree , a little snow and no dang bugs

Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

That's what I'm talking about fellas!!
        Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

Geese first!

Folks, I'm also pretty excited about the coming season. I'm shooting arrows every day, I have several stands set up, did some brush clearing etc......but before there is deer season, there is goose season! I'm shooting clays every week. Sometime this week I will get the deeks out and make sure they are clean and I'll touch up any damage I may find....I'm also looking for a few more full bodies to fill in the spread.
          Deer can wait for a while...there's no rush.

Comment

Can't wait!

Comment

Two months from today!
              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I've been busy for sure. Can't say my efforts have been especially productive so far...I did find one area with lots of trails and scat, but I'm not sure if they'll still be hanging out in that area when the season rolls around. I'm not using any trail cameras now, but after a season or two of this, I might be persuaded to get some set up...are you allowed to set them up on public land?

Anyways, I'll agree with what some others have said...it has been hot and buggy out there! Even on days when it stays in the mid 80's, I find myself sweating up a storm due to the lack of airflow and humidity out there in the woods. Still, it's been a great excuse to get some exercise and learn the lay of the land...hopefully I get some deer meat in the freezer as well.

Comment

I hear you on that Bounder45!!
                  "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Bounder: You can set Trailcams up on State Land so long as you abide by the rules of the Forest Preserve: http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/5263.html
                    Last edited by Buckladd; 07-31-2016, 07:57 PM.
                    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

It's been my experience that it's almost impossible to pattern bucks in the interior Adk's unless you've taken the time and the effort to put boots on the ground.
                      I've found that it takes about 3 seasons to really get to know the area that you've chosen.
                      Those interior deer can range 2 or 3 square miles, not like the woodlot bucks below the Blue Line.
                      Jim

Comment

Was driving down RT 28 between Inlet and Old Forge two days ago and saw a four point buck grazing by the side of the road near where people were walking on a path. They came within ten feet of him and he just kept on eating the grass. Very strange.
                        Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

I just came back from a week in Montana and had a huge mule deer come within 30 yards of my campfire. We were about 5 miles deep in the national forest and at 9,000 ft. It was just after dark, still dusk. I heard a slight noise, looked up, and saw nothing but antlers. He had zero concerns about me. About 20 minutes later, a younger forkhorn wandered through and fed downwind of me for a little while.

Comment

Originally posted by Schultzz View Post
                            Was driving down RT 28 between Inlet and Old Forge two days ago and saw a four point buck grazing by the side of the road near where people were walking on a path. They came within ten feet of him and he just kept on eating the grass. Very strange.
                            Schultzzie,
                            If you've been around as long as I have, you would know that was a summer time deer.
                            Once the first shot is fired, the deer becomes extremely wary.
                            Ask some old time ADK hunters.
                            It's not Disney Land.
                            Jim

Comment

Agree with Hard Scrabble. I see deer quite a bit in NY during the summer months; I don't see them as much in the ADK's, but still I see some up there.

But once the season starts, especially gun season, they change their patterns and areas of movement. I'm sure food supply has something to do with that, but so too does hunting pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
                                Schultzzie,
                                If you've been around as long as I have, you would know that was a summer time deer.
                                Once the first shot is fired, the deer becomes extremely wary.
                                Ask some old time ADK hunters.
                                It's not Disney Land.
                                Jim
                                I agree with both of those statements. I know Jim, they get real educated when the season rolls around. Actually this deer reminded me more of a Sikh deer or European deer. I wish I had stopped and taken a photo and you would know what I saw. It sure was like Disneyland that morning.
                                Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X