No announcement yet.

New to deep woods hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have done my share of bringing out backwoods deer from some rugged areas around Tupper lake and I am done dragging. What my group has come to use looks like a stretcher mounted on a bicycle wheel. It is narrow enough to get through the woods and the wheel lets you roll over most obstacles and takes most of the weight and is tall enough that you can walk without bending over. Two guys, front and back can move along pretty well on any sort of trail. It breaks down to the size of a portable treestand. The deer carriers with the double wheels were just to wide and having someone on either end pushing and pulling seems to work better

Comment

"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Originally posted by geogymn View Post
        I am sorry but I feel the DEC has an agenda forced upon them and they must march to a drummer who is politically motivated
        In the case of their hunting forecasts, the DEC's only agenda is to paint a rosy picture in hopes of selling more tags. If anything, their forecasts are typically more optimistic than they should be.
        "Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."

Comment

[QUOTE=geogymn;249823]Good points! You could be right, I could be right, we both could be right.
          I agree that old growth will sustain less deer. And I will agree that there is new undergrowth where the sun is allowed to penetrate. But check out what is growing in said spots. There is plenty of Beech saplings but how many hard Maple or cherry saplings?

The reason there is plenty of beech regeneration is that American Beech will sprout from the roots of mature beech trees, and deer browse little on beech. But, Hard Maple and Black Cherry are shade intolerant. Also, they regenerate better if there is some ground scarification exposing the mineral soil.

In the Forest Preserve,where the forest crown is completely enclosed and no soil scarification, it's hard to get maple, cherry, and birch regen.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tug Hill;249891]
            Good points! You could be right, I could be right, we both could be right.
            I agree that old growth will sustain less deer. And I will agree that there is new undergrowth where the sun is allowed to penetrate. But check out what is growing in said spots. There is plenty of Beech saplings but how many hard Maple or cherry saplings?

The reason there is plenty of beech regeneration is that American Beech will sprout from the roots of mature beech trees, and deer browse little on beech. But, Hard Maple and Black Cherry are shade intolerant. Also, they regenerate better if there is some ground scarification exposing the mineral soil.

In the Forest Preserve,where the forest crown is completely enclosed and no soil scarification, it's hard to get maple, cherry, and birch regen.
            And when they do sprout they are like candy to deer.

Comment

Nice cart , never seen one like that
              Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

I would love to have one of these. Not cheap but wouldn't be bad if a group of guys chipped in.
                GameTote is the pre-eminent game retrieval cart. It has the strength and capacity to handle a large bull elk, the mobility to go where deer and elk go, the safety and control of powerful braking, and more. This will greatly enlarge your retrieval zone and make it possible for you to bring back more

Comment

Our biggest problem is the hilly terrain we hunt. It's just not wheel friendly and since we're on the move it doesn't make since for us to carry more than the basics. So, we drag. But, at my brother's camp in the Northern ADK's they have a good, flat trail system nearby and use a cart all the time. Very handy, for sure.
                  Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

How to get the kill out of the backcountry...;

My first and foremost advice is to bring another hunter along... Your obviously new to hunting the big woods and you've got a lot to learn.

Most serious backcountry hunters don't carry carts into the woods...period. Reason being that they're constantly on the move either still hunting or tracking in the snow, or in some more experienced cases, without snow.

If you score, having a hunting partner along helps ease the pain and sweat of getting the trophy out... If alone, well, depending on how far back in you are, you may be forced to spend the night in the woods, but at least you'll eat well provided you practice some good common sense as for hanging the trophy and preventing predators from feasting on your kill.

Modern day hunters who utilize GPS as a main source of navigation will, if in the backcountry, mark the co-ordinates of the kill, hang in a tree and go back the next day with help... If, however, your hunting solo and only utilize compass and topo as I only do, again, you must be prepared to spend the night..if not 2 nights, again, depending on how far back you are..

So, it's imperative that if hunting the backcountry, you carry a day pack with provisions for at least 2 days... Dragging is arduous work, and having enough protein and nutrition in that pack is critical to your success. Trust me, I speak from many years of experience.

On a final note, to hunt the backcountry and be able to drag out your trophy, your physical conditioning is extremely important... if your not in shape, again, bring a hunting partner along.

And remember... "It's not about the kill, it's about the adventure"

Bluesman

Comment

A bit of thread drift but not too far afield...wingshooters need to get thier pokes in too!

I bought a cart this year with the idea that I would use it to haul my deeks out into the field when I goose hunt and then use it for deer in the places where it might work (not many)...
                      Well, I have hauled it around in the truck, loaded it with deeks, dragged the bloody thing out into the field a few times and I'm back to carrying without it..major PITA! My cadillac had a wheel in the ditch and a wheel on the track as it where...
                      I might still try it with a deer but I have a feeling I'll be back to dragging or quartering before the season is over..I probably should have tried it out on a deer this summer but I never got around to it.

I should have expected it. I still carry my canoes without a cart.

Comment

[QUOTE=geogymn;249894]
                        Originally posted by Tug Hill View Post

And when they do sprout they are like candy to deer.
                        Geo,
                        The natural progression after logging is black berry bushes, followed by poplar and striped maples.
                        All excellent forage for whitetails.
                        Beeches and hard maples come later.
                        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by thebluesman5748 View Post
                          My first and foremost advice is to bring another hunter along... Your obviously new to hunting the big woods and you've got a lot to learn.

Most serious backcountry hunters don't carry carts into the woods...period. Reason being that they're constantly on the move either still hunting or tracking in the snow, or in some more experienced cases, without snow.

If you score, having a hunting partner along helps ease the pain and sweat of getting the trophy out... If alone, well, depending on how far back in you are, you may be forced to spend the night in the woods, but at least you'll eat well provided you practice some good common sense as for hanging the trophy and preventing predators from feasting on your kill.

Modern day hunters who utilize GPS as a main source of navigation will, if in the backcountry, mark the co-ordinates of the kill, hang in a tree and go back the next day with help... If, however, your hunting solo and only utilize compass and topo as I only do, again, you must be prepared to spend the night..if not 2 nights, again, depending on how far back you are..

So, it's imperative that if hunting the backcountry, you carry a day pack with provisions for at least 2 days... Dragging is arduous work, and having enough protein and nutrition in that pack is critical to your success. Trust me, I speak from many years of experience.

On a final note, to hunt the backcountry and be able to drag out your trophy, your physical conditioning is extremely important... if your not in shape, again, bring a hunting partner along.

And remember... "It's not about the kill, it's about the adventure"

Bluesman
                          Blues,
                          The serious back country hunter sets up a tent camp after several years spent in learning the area that he intends to hunt.
                          It's not about survival.
                          It's about planning.
                          This hunter doesn't depend on GPS coordinates, he depends on his knowledge of the terrain that only comes with experience.
                          Jim

Comment

[QUOTE=Hard Scrabble;251034]

Geo,
                            The natural progression after logging is black berry bushes, followed by poplar and striped maples.
                            All excellent forage for whitetails.
                            Beeches and hard maples come later.
                            Jim
                            Ever wonder about the forest floor covered with Blackberry seeds just waiting for its time in the sun?

Comment

[QUOTE=geogymn;251039]
                              Originally posted by Hard Scrabble View Post

Ever wonder about the forest floor covered with Blackberry seeds just waiting for its time in the sun?
                              Sorry, Geo.
                              In all my travels, I've never seen any woodland floor covered with blackberry seeds.
                              I think you're funning' us.

Comment

Originally posted by 1894 View Post
                                So everyone not physically capable of of dragging , or chooses not to make three or four trips to pack out a deer from a mile or two deep in the woods should either :
                                1. Give up hunting all together
                                OR
                                2. just plant some apple trees , corn , and some food plots within range of the back porch of a camp so a solo drag is not too far , just hook it up to the tractor / 4 wheeler and do the motorized haul of shame.

I wish you good health and the wisdom to know when to plant a nice deer food plot if you want to continue hunting when age and physical issues take their toll.

Don't take that wrong , we have a few members here that still do what many only dream of , getting way back there and doing it solo for weeks at a time. That is an art and life style that is sadly fading away . I wish there was more enthusiasm for the younger generations to follow in those footsteps.
                                Your wording sounds more like it is an either / or coin toss. If you want folks from camp to help drag that whole deer / bear back, or use any motorized help you should just stay home on the porch . Let the " real hunters " hunt and any inferior people just step aside.
                                Gee, I wonder why there is not a majority of young people today begging to fill the ranks of your mold of what a hunter should be.
                                I didn't mean to imply that there are superior or inferior hunters.
                                I only stated my preferred method of hunting whitetails, nothing more than that.
                                I've never spent more than 5 or 6 days at a time hunting from my canvas wall tent that was set up for the entire deer season with proper permitting.
                                Work and family commitments precluded that.
                                I always loved sleeping in my tent knowing that i was the only human for miles around.
                                No sounds of traffic, nothing but the woods.
                                I guess it's more than hunting, it's a feeling of solitude.
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X