No announcement yet.

Favorite rifle for deer hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruger 44 mag. carbine with peep for tracking and/or bad weather days.
    Winchester Model 70 Featherweight .270 with 2x7 VXII for conditions providing longer shots such as still hunting, sneaking and peaking along side ridges, overlooks and watching draws and funnels.
    Season is getting close even though it feels pretty warm today.

Comment

I never really noticed the clicking sound on my M77. The only issue that I have with this model ( mine was manufactured in the early 80's) is concerning the safeness of this tang safety.
      In order to chamber a round, the safety needs to be off, so - keep your finger very clear of the trigger while chambering a round - and then put the safety on.
      Also, when unloading, the safety needs to be off to pull the bolt back to remove a round from the chamber. One needs to be very alert during this process. I know that with any gun you need to be alert when handling it, but this is one that you need to be thinking and wide awake when loading and unloading.

Comment

Never cared much for my M77 from the mid - late 70's .
        1. Carries like it is made out of a 3" x6" x 30" chunk of railroad tie.
        2. turdy -O -seese is way more than I feel I need for anything that walks here in NY
        Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

Savage 110 in 30.06 @ 180 gr. was my first rifle and first buck...dead centered a 6" beech tree, in the neck out the shoulder and splattered on a rock 15" beyond....little overkill. As a new hunter I needed the advantage since the tree was in the way. But that gun is a bear to carry on drives all day.
          Savage Axis 7mm-08 I bought for my son/daughter to use. Killed my second buck with that. Nice, light, inexpensive tack driver.
          Winchester 94 AE 30-30. Probably my favorite gun, carbine and light as a feather. Killed my last buck with that, neck shot, dropped in his tracks. Although I missed two bucks last season before I realized the scope had come out of the rear ring and was way off!!
          Rectified that, now I just need to find those bucks again!!
          Hunt when you can, Fish when you can't.

Comment

I hate to admit but in the 90s I put a scope on my M94 Trapper. 'Had it on for two seasons and got a few miles back into a weekend lean-to hunt and noticed it was loose. I had to tighten it the best I could and re-sight in. The scope is now on another gun and a peep is on the Trapper. Another mistake I made back then was trying out fancy ammo. I shot three bucks with it before I figured it out. I'm lucky I didn't lose one of them. Went back to the soft-poing core-lockt 30-30 round. There's just something to be said for the basics.
            Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
              I hate to admit but in the 90s I put a scope on my M94 Trapper. 'Had it on for two seasons and got a few miles back into a weekend lean-to hunt and noticed it was loose. I had to tighten it the best I could and re-sight in. The scope is now on another gun and a peep is on the Trapper. Another mistake I made back then was trying out fancy ammo. I shot three bucks with it before I figured it out. I'm lucky I didn't lose one of them. Went back to the soft-poing core-lockt 30-30 round. There's just something to be said for the basics.
              I couldn't agree more on the Core Lokts, they get it done.
              "Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."

Comment

Originally posted by Stillhunter View Post
                Ruger 44 mag. carbine with peep for tracking and/or bad weather days.
                Winchester Model 70 Featherweight .270 with 2x7 VXII for conditions providing longer shots such as still hunting, sneaking and peaking along side ridges, overlooks and watching draws and funnels.
                Season is getting close even though it feels pretty warm today.
                That little Ruger is a great rifle for shots of about 100 yards, which is about the average range in the ADK's.
                We all look for deer in the open hardwoods, but it's a rare time that we find them there.
                Thinking back, I don't remember taking a deer at over 80 yards or so in the ADK's.
                In most cases you just can't see farther than that.
                Jim

Comment

Agreed Jim,...Though I've only been hunting for 6-7 years...All 3 of my bucks have been no more than 40 yds. Ironically the last 2 were from the same exact watch seat and within 5' of each other about 5 weeks apart!?!?
                  It was the first watch my Grandfather ever put me on, 5 years later, I shot 2 bucks off of it a few months after he died. He would have been proud!
                  Hunt when you can, Fish when you can't.

Comment

I missed a buck a few years ago at what I later range-found to be 76 yards. That is by far the longest shot I've ever taken at an Adirondack whitetail. Most are within 40 yards whether I'm on a watch or jump them while on the move. Last season's little 4-pointer fell just about at my feet.
                    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I shoot a Remington 700 in 30.06 that my wife gave to me on our first wedding anniversary...38 years ago! I put a Bushnell 4x scope on it a year later and it's never been off the gun since. I've taken well over 30 big game animals with it, including whitetail and mule deer, pronghorn antelope, and a 350 lb bear. It's the only center-fire I own.
                      "The wilderness opens us to God's presence because it reduces everything to what is exactly necessary, and no more." John Lionberger Renewal in the Wilderness
                      My pictures:
                      https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Booger View Post
                        I shoot a Remington 700 in 30.06 that my wife gave to me on our first wedding anniversary...38 years ago! I put a Bushnell 4x scope on it a year later and it's never been off the gun since. I've taken well over 30 big game animals with it, including whitetail and mule deer, pronghorn antelope, and a 350 lb bear. It's the only center-fire I own.

" Beware the man with only one gun , chances are he knows how to use it very well "
                        Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

.308 Remington 760 Gamemaster pump with a Redfield 3x9. Handles (i.e. pulls up and "feels") a lot like my 870 Wingmaster and Express 12 gauges.

Comment

Remington model 8
                            35 cal
                            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Booger View Post
                              I shoot a Remington 700 in 30.06 that my wife gave to me on our first wedding anniversary...38 years ago!.
                              Wow, SB!!! On our wedding day in 1995 my wife gave me a 760 Pump .30-06. I put a Nikon scope on it and have killed a few deer with it in the Southern Zone and a few more in the Northern Zone along with a few coyotes. I've still got it sighted in for 220 grain soft points that brought down a moose in Newfoundland a few years back. 'Don't hunt SZ much any more so I purposely take the gun out a few times a year up here if I'm going to just sit; which doesn't happen often. Great gun though!
                              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by mt.runner View Post
                                Remington model 8
                                35 cal
                                That's a fine rifle!!!
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X