anti-hunters ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anti-hunters ?

Wasn't the first time some folks have tried to mess with the hunters in the area , this group was pretty tame. ( A van got oil poured on it and some other mischief as well a couple of years ago. ) 6 -8 cars of young folks parked at a trail head , one of the local hunters ( part of a group doing a drive ) said hello , how ya doing. Reply was " We're going to hike this trail and make as much noise as we can just to mess with you hunters "
    Any one else see stuff like this ? Didn't bother to take license plates or push the issue , no harm no foul , but still ???
    It worked though , nice deer taken that morning
    Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Ignorant youth feeling empowered by numbers, nothing new. I've had a few stink eyes in the past, but nobody says much. Last encounter was 2 weeks ago. Hiker asked what we were hunting, I said "hopefully deer", he asked if season was open. "oh yeah" I replied. We were friendly, they didn't care for us being there. But I can understand the surprise to see people with guns when you were not expecting to. But, then again if you're going to hike in the middle of hunting season you should probably be a bit more aware. They obviously were not as they were hiking in the rain and snow atop a mountain in sweats with a bulldog....
    Hunt when you can, Fish when you can't.

Comment

I am not saying one should kowtow to anyone, but if we can muster and convey what's in our hearts, despite the harden demeanor of our shell, we might accord the impression of what it really is......a noble sport.
      A sport practiced by one who has an affinity for the woods and cares deeply about the biotic community. A patron, not a grim reaper. And certainly not a redneck.
      "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

This kind of topic only stirs up unnecessary controversy and leaves everyone with a bad taste. Look back, there have been many similar threads that invite the non hunting side of the forum to chime in. Only leads to the thread being shut down in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillhunter View Post
          This kind of topic only stirs up unnecessary controversy and leaves everyone with a bad taste. Look back, there have been many similar threads that invite the non hunting side of the forum to chime in. Only leads to the thread being shut down in the end.
          Indeed. Everyone has an inflammatory anecdote they love to hate.
          The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

Many states have hunter harassment laws, meaning if someone is intentionally trying to disrupt a legal hunt, they can be charged. Obviously this doesn't preclude someone from hiking or even being in the same area as a hunter, but if the activity exhibited is intended to scare away the animals there is usually grounds for some sort of legal action.

Though I'll be frank in saying that I don't know if NY has this type of law on the books.

Edit: Where did this incident take place? I've hunted quite extensively in the central ADK's and have even run into a large group that was out sight-seeing; I've never gotten any grief or ill-will from anyone. I exchanged some pleasantries with the group I met and they went their way and I went my way.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounder45 View Post

Though I'll be frank in saying that I don't know if NY has this type of law on the books.
              A video of such activity would be most helpful to law enforcement response.

NY -Environmental Conservation Law 11-0110

§ 11-0110. Interference with lawful taking of wildlife prohibited.
              1. As used in this section “wildlife” means wild game and all other
              animal life existing in a wild state, including fish, shellfish and
              crustacea, and “process of taking”, in addition to any act described in
              subdivision thirteen of section 11-0103 of this article, includes
              travel, camping, and other acts preparatory to taking, which occur on
              lands or waters upon which the affected person has the right or
              privilege to take such wildlife.
              2. A person is guilty of interfering with the lawful taking of
              wildlife when, with intent to prevent the taking of wildlife, in season,
              in a place where hunting, fishing or trapping is lawful, and by a person
              properly licensed to take such wildlife, he:
              (a) strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects the licensed person
              to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or
              (b) follows the licensed person in or about such place and engages in
              a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously
              annoy such licensed person and which serve no legitimate purpose.
              Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, no one
              shall be arrested for violation of this section by other than a duly
              designated peace officer acting pursuant to his special duties, or a
              police officer.
              "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

In hindsight , I realize this thread has the potential to get out of hand . My apologies to the Admins , feel free to lock it or delete the whole thread.

The 15 or so young folks last week really didn't cross any legal lines , like I said no harm no foul. No law against people making noise while hiking on a trail and not deliberately following and harassing anyone. They have just as much right to do what they did as the hunters have to be hunting in the area.
                My chuckle was that they may have inadvertently pushed that nice buck into the hunters

The other incident , I misstated , it was actually grease like axle grease or a grease gun that was smeared on the windows and doors of a vehicle parked at a " camp here " spot with the appropriate " more than three days dec approval paper displayed.
                That was vandalism plain and simple , too bad the hunters didn't have a game camera or two to watch over their vehicle . But who would have thought that would be necessary
                Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by 1894 View Post
                  In hindsight , I realize this thread has the potential to get out of hand . My apologies to the Admins , feel free to lock it or delete the whole thread.

The 15 or so young folks last week really didn't cross any legal lines , like I said no harm no foul. No law against people making noise while hiking on a trail and not deliberately following and harassing anyone. They have just as much right to do what they did as the hunters have to be hunting in the area.
                  No offense, but I don't think anything is getting out of hand here. In your initial post, you made it seem like there were people harassing hunters:
                  6 -8 cars of young folks parked at a trail head , one of the local hunters ( part of a group doing a drive ) said hello , how ya doing. Reply was " We're going to hike this trail and make as much noise as we can just to mess with you hunters "
                  There is a pretty clear cut line, legally and morally, on interfering with a hunt. If I had someone say that they were going to hike a trail to make noise and "mess" with me, I'd definitely consider that harassment.

I'm glad everything turned out fine with the hunt. And everyone has a right to enjoy the ADK's, but that doesn't mean they're allowed to mess with other people's rights.

Comment

I had an article published in ADK's "Adirondac" magazine a few years ago that dealt with this topic. They remind their members when it's hunting season, but obviously not all hikers are members. Our group hunts a lot of state land and run into hikers frequently. For the most part our experiences have been positive with mutual respect. On another thread here there's a photo of our group taken by a hiker.

Although it's never happened to me, I've heard of more negative instances with ice fisherman, and even anglers fishing near someone's dock. I'm not afraid to press harassment charges.
                    Last edited by Buckladd; 11-09-2016, 03:22 PM.
                    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Bounder45 View Post
                      Many states have hunter harassment laws, meaning if someone is intentionally trying to disrupt a legal hunt, they can be charged. Obviously this doesn't preclude someone from hiking or even being in the same area as a hunter, but if the activity exhibited is intended to scare away the animals there is usually grounds for some sort of legal action.

Edit: Where did this incident take place? I've hunted quite extensively in the central ADK's and have even run into a large group that was out sight-seeing; I've never gotten any grief or ill-will from anyone. I exchanged some pleasantries with the group I met and they went their way and I went my way.
                      New York does have a law forbidding hunter harassment.
                      The actual text, which appears below, of New York’s hunter/trapper/angler harassment law (article 11 – 0110) only recognizes harassment of sportsmen/women if they are actually hunting

Comment

I've run into hikers while hunting and all have been pleasant. Remember the golden rule.

If you're gutting a deer in the parking area, being careless with guns, or leaving trash/beer cans laying around, I bet people will take a dim view of hunters.

Comment

am both a hiker and a hunter
                          as a hunter have not had bad experiences with hikers while out hunting
                          when passing usually give a quick hello if anything they may hows the hunting and if i caught anything,
                          my negative experiences is usually after spending days in the bush whether camping or hunting, i usually look and smell like crap, yet like to grab a real meal in town before heading home, thats when i get looks and comments

Comment

Originally posted by Terasec View Post
                            ...my negative experiences is usually after spending days in the bush whether camping or hunting, i usually look and smell like crap, yet like to grab a real meal in town before heading home, thats when i get looks and comments
                            Hey Stinky - Please don't tell us that your are surprised that you get "looks and comments". You should get looks and comments, then be run out of town.

Comment

Originally posted by St.Regis View Post
                              Hey Stinky - Please don't tell us that your are surprised that you get "looks and comments". You should get looks and comments, then be run out of town.
                              hey that odor is all natural eau de campfire fragrance
                              and regardless of odor i do get different reactions based on how i am dressed
                              if i look like i came out of an LL bean catalogue, people are more receptive,
                              if i have a camo jacket/coat on i get negative looks

Comment

Working...
                              X