anti-hunters ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few related points sort of connected together:
    First, if anyone deliberately interferes with a hunter or a hunting party they should should be reported to the DEC. Given proper grounds, they will be ticketed by the DEC. That can include someone honking a car horn,someone banging pots and pans together, someone deliberately approaching a hunters position with the intent to disturb the wildlife....it is expected that hunters will follow the law as well as practice common sense (so bird hunters on a pond within 500 feet of a camp will make reasonable effort to control direction of fire even though they may legally be closer if hunting from water etc.). I carry the DEC contact numbers in my phone and am more than willing to report problems when I see them. I will also report hunters that are not adhering to the laws.

Next with respect to appearance and behavior while you are on your way out....a basic premise that we encourage in our NYS hunter Safety programs is to make sure that you take extra care not to deliberately display your spoils or to display blood covered clothing in public places. After field dressing your harvest take a few minutes and wash your hands, change your jacket and coveralls etc. It serves no good purpose to display post harvest gore to non-hunters. If anything, what happens if you do that is that you deepen the negative perceptions of the hunting community.
    Mutual respect is the order of the day, hunters for non-hunters and non-hunters for hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by mgc View Post
      A few related points sort of connected together:
      First, if anyone deliberately interferes with a hunter or a hunting party they should should be reported to the DEC. Given proper grounds, they will be ticketed by the DEC. That can include someone honking a car horn,someone banging pots and pans together, someone deliberately approaching a hunters position with the intent to disturb the wildlife....it is expected that hunters will follow the law as well as practice common sense (so bird hunters on a pond within 500 feet of a camp will make reasonable effort to control direction of fire even though they may legally be closer if hunting from water etc.). I carry the DEC contact numbers in my phone and am more than willing to report problems when I see them. I will also report hunters that are not adhering to the laws.

Next with respect to appearance and behavior while you are on your way out....a basic premise that we encourage in our NYS hunter Safety programs is to make sure that you take extra care not to deliberately display your spoils or to display blood covered clothing in public places. After field dressing your harvest take a few minutes and wash your hands, change your jacket and coveralls etc. It serves no good purpose to display post harvest gore to non-hunters. If anything, what happens if you do that is that you deepen the negative perceptions of the hunting community.
      Mutual respect is the order of the day, hunters for non-hunters and non-hunters for hunters.
      Good advice and a little common sense goes a long way

Comment

This is why I always hunted off the well travelled trails.
        Jim

Comment

I remember the old days (1970s & 1980s) when the only other people you saw in the woods during deer season were other hunters. Times have changed.
          Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
            I remember the old days (1970s & 1980s) when the only other people you saw in the woods during deer season were other hunters. Times have changed.
            That's also when you hunted in blue jeans cotton socks and your work boots along with a red wool jacket. I miss the easy going low tech days!! haha

Comment

Originally posted by river View Post
              That's also when you hunted in blue jeans cotton socks and your work boots along with a red wool jacket. I miss the easy going low tech days!! haha
              You must've seen a photo of me from those days. I still wear the green checked wool jacket, at least when it cools down. And we still have a well seasoned hunter in our group (he's 75) that hunts in jeans. Oh, and a red wool coat.

Here's a link to that photo a hiker took of our crew last year and then sent it to me. http://www.adkforum.com/showpost.php...7&postcount=71
              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Stillhunter View Post
                This kind of topic only stirs up unnecessary controversy and leaves everyone with a bad taste. Look back, there have been many similar threads that invite the non hunting side of the forum to chime in. Only leads to the thread being shut down in the end.
                I'm not a hunter and I feel invited (and perhaps compelled) to chime in.

The experience 1894 had rots. No excuses. Like hiking, paddling, and stamp collecting, hunting is a hobby. It seems to have more in common with hiking than stamp collecting and one would hope any hikers would recognize that.

Glad you got your deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
                  This is why I always hunted off the well travelled trails.
                  Jim
                  Originally posted by river View Post
                  No blue jeans for me and my feet froze in my leather work boots .
                  The rest : not hunting places easily accessed by whomever , wool pants & coat , and very rarely seeing anyone else while hunting unless it was planned ahead of time , still applies to where I choose to hunt ( or mostly just take one of my old fashioned lever guns out for a nice walk in the fresh air , rain or snow )
                  PS. I liked the green and black plaid as well , until my Dad watched me going through some thick pines and mentioned that the green blended in and I looked a lot like a bear in those shadows
                  Last edited by 1894; 11-12-2016, 01:38 PM.
                  Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by MarkE View Post
                    I'm not a hunter and I feel invited (and perhaps compelled) to chime in.

The experience 1894 had rots. No excuses. Like hiking, paddling, and stamp collecting, hunting is a hobby. It seems to have more in common with hiking than stamp collecting and one would hope any hikers would recognize that.

Glad you got your deer.
                    I appreciate your input. Not my deer , nor was I part of that hunt.
                    I leave camp on foot and enjoy just being out there in the woods mostly in solitude. I had the offer to join the hunt , but declined like I always do .
                    Some neighbors do choose to drive a couple miles to where there are more deer / sq mile , those parts of the road are public and although it is rude , making noise on a trail barely crosses the line of harassment (IMHO).
                    Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

Quite honestly, I think that is still normal for fall hunting at least. I've been hunting off a few trails in the central ADK's, and with the exception of one run-in off of Chain Lakes Rd., the only other people I've seen or encountered have been other hunters (and I haven't even seen many hunters at that). As I drive Rte 28, all the popular trailheads that are normally teeming with cars during the summer months are now pretty much deserted, except for a random pickup here and there (which I'll guess are hunters rather than hikers).

As the winter closes in and the snow starts to fall, I just can't foresee running into many hikers wanting to go out and deal with the harsh weather. Of course, knowing the type of people who frequent this forum, I'm sure there are a few intrepid souls out there who will disagree. Still, I've seen far more hunters than I do hikers or paddlers during this last month or so.

Comment

Perhaps it's the area I hunt, which is the mountains on both the east and west shores near Lake George. But the trailheads were loaded with hikers yesterday and last weekend as well. We only met them on the drive out.
                        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by 1894 View Post
                          I those parts of the road are public and although it is rude , making noise on a trail barely crosses the line of harassment (IMHO).
                          depends on what their intentions are
                          if they happen to be a loud group, nothing wrong with that, they could be loud talkers, laughing having a good time, or just trying to keep bears away.
                          but if their intention is to disrupt someones hunting that is against the law

Comment

FWIW, yesterday (Sunday) I met two hunters on Santanoni Road just minutes into my hike to the Santanoni Range. Older gents clad in camo and forest-green wool felt jackets. They were signed in as a party of four and appeared to waiting for someone. I wished them "Good Hunting! and "Good Luck!" and went my way (they replied "Thank you!").

If any of them are members of this forum, let me know if it was a productive day.

FWIW, I didn't see any game all day. It was pretty quiet in the Santanonis; a total of only 5 hikers (including me) had signed in (plus Ranger Jeffries).
                            Looking for views!

Comment

Working...
                            X