2016 Whitetail season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Whitetail season

It will be here soon enough. Has anyone else started their scouting?

Made it out to the backwoods last weekend to check on a trail camera I set out in May. Mostly, I knew that deer would be there, but I was hoping to see what kind of activity was there and if there were good buck numbers. I was also relieved to get some good pictures after bushwhacking through dense wet vegetation and hordes of deer flies.

Over the course of six weeks I had just over 1,000 pictures. While a lot were the same animal just hanging out in front of the camera for 10-20 pictures, deer were there pretty much daily. I counted three different bucks, all likely to be six points or greater. I was a little surprised to not see spikes or twin fawns considering the mild winter.

Though I did have a good sized sow with triplets (photo 1).

The first buck in June gave me nice look (photo 2):

He shows up again in July (this is the same camera, but a different angle thanks to a young bruin using it as a chew toy) (photo 3):

I'll be curious to see how much more tine length he gets over the next 4-6 weeks.
    Attached Files

Nice.

Comment

Good job on camera location!!! And some quality bucks there!! I have not gotten any decent bucks on film yet

Comment

The deer I have seen while out and about need some serious fattening up in the next few months!!
        Hunt when you can, Fish when you can't.

Comment

Nice photos Fly Rodder. We have 4 cameras out with deer activity on them all. I was hoping to see a 9 pointer I've photographed for the past 2 years (last time was 12/15) but there appears to have been an operator error on my part when resetting the camera in December...DANG!

Anyways, you have seen the sow before but maybe not the others.

Some photos from before the operator error malfunction camera in December:

My YouTube channel

Comment

Nice photos. Just put my game cameras out last week. I've seen many does with fawns so far this summer, but no twin fawns yet, or bucks.

Comment

Haven't put any cameras out yet and am not really sure it will matter. Around home the deer have hammered my pumpkin patch and the yield will be a fraction of last year. There's more deer than usual so I'll be after them during bow starting Sept. 27 and maybe a few times during muzzleloading. As for rifle season, we left plenty of bucks on the mountain last season. Given the winter, or lack thereof, I'm sure they won't be hard to find where we usually do. I'll likely put a few cameras out but sometimes I do feel like I'm stinking the woods up when I mess with cameras, regardless of the scent precautions I take. But, it is nice to see photos of bucks in your hunting area.
              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
                As for rifle season, we left plenty of bucks on the mountain last season.
                Yeah, so did we and like you said with the mild winter last year, I expect that they should all be back again.

That's a stout sow Bioguide. I've seen so much bear sign this season and it seems like I consistently get bears on my cameras. It's testament to their keen sense of smell and secretiveness that we don't see as many during hunting season. In the last calendar year, I suspect that I have had 6-8 different bears (not including cubs) on my cameras within a 2 mile radius.

Comment

good job with the trail cameras !!!

Comment

I have a few cameras out but I will pull them as the season approaches. I find that even though they help me to see what is in my woods they also tend to fill me with unrealistic expectations. I know a lot of people who have sat through bow, then gun and then muzzleloader season waiting for a beast they saw on a trail cam that never appears. One particular friend has not harvested a deer with his bow in 7 years! He's waiting for the beast. I suppose I can pass a deer along to him next season if he gets skunked again.
                    I am generally able to get a very good idea of what is around from the rubs, droppings and tracks that deer leave.

Comment

Am I just getting old or has anyone else said it's too damn hot and humid?? It's a 2.5 mile walk back to our campsite with only half trail and every weekend we say "Let's go" and by Wednesday we look at the forecast and we say "Next weekend"..........
                      Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

Yup! Me too... unfortunately, every friday I plan on doing another mountain hike and after working in this heat all week, it doesn't happen. Fridays are even hotter each week for some reason. Maybe it will cool off a bit this friday...
                        "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

I'm lazy. Within 2 miles of camp there are 4 or 5 places where that 6+ year old buck could call home. I just try to find good spots around where the does feed and bed , someday I may get lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time for that big ole grandaddy.
                          Till then I'll just enjoy spending time wandering around with whatever levergun ( usually Marlins , but some wrenchesters do get some fresh air ) that calls out the loudest that day. Sometimes I'll chose to pull the trigger on a dumb deer or bear , other times I just enjoy watching them.
                          Main thing for me is being in a place that I am more likely to see a deer ,bear or just the peace and quiet , than another human in the woods.
                          Phil

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

Comment

Oh, I hear you 1894, I know where the deer prefer to be and it's not back in the green desert that I hunt, I'm sure everyone on here who hunts back in a ways is there for the same reason?? Big buck maybe? A week to play Jerimiah Johnson? A week to hang out with kin and pals? Now I'm not lazy, nor do I think that you insinuated I or WB was, but after a week in the mill in this heat a day sawing wood can wait until September. In the mean time, I'm getting ready as I hope everyone else is? Shooting? Don't doubt your ability in November. In shape? OK, I'll brag, I dropped 15 pounds!!! I hope to see some great ADK camp pics here this season, either permanent or tents. Even better a few slammer bucks. It's time to get ready!!!
                            Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

I'm hoping for another year like this:

My YouTube channel

Comment

Working...
                              X